How big of a Mini split do you recommend/Socal

Let me help you with the actual HVAC math.
So 4x640 is 2600w
You then mul 2600x3.412 (the real btu factor) and get 8871.2 BTUs
So 8872 is you load BEFORE any fans, dehumidifiers or ANY other heat.

Now ACs… 12000 btu per ton is for the TOTAL work it can do BUT there’sa ratio about 70/30 of sensible work, compared to latent work, sensible work cools your lights, latent work dehumidifies the room (yes you can use an AC alone but there’s details)
So 70% of 12000btu or 1ton is 8400btu of Light cooling Sensible work.

You need a little more than 1ton just for the lights.

I looked at the quest website and the 165 is listed at over 9000 BTUs itself so according to that, anytime the dehumidifier is running. It will need 1 ton of cooling for it in addition to the lights 1 ton.

How we haven’t considered environmental factors like do you have a Refrigeration Panels or do you have drywall and fiberglass and wood framing? Is it old construction? It’s not very airtight. That’s going to add Cooling needs in the hot times as you noted.

If I had the money I’d get a 3ton that does three heads and 3-1ton heads and put two in this room, and one in veg,mom.

You can even miss match the heads and manipulate the work…. For example, you can oversize the heads and if zone is not using Cooling. The other zones will get more so you could put two 1 1/2 ton heads in the flower room and one and a half ton had in your vegroom and even though that adds up to 4 1/2 tons you’re only still have 3 tons of total cooling.

Now that I spent all your money ;-)
Don’t start with 1ton,

Here’s more info
View attachment 355609
incredible, thank you!

Now Mistu mini splits that cool and come with a heat pump as well, would that be considered reheating still?
A common misnomer, the Unit is a Heat Pump, there is no Part called heat pump, a heat pump is simply a regular AC with two added parts, the Reversing Valve and the Defrost Control (plus a couple of check valves and sensor for those)
So, the Heat Pump can Heat or Cool, but you need both at the same time to reheat, so normally there’sa second heat source like heating coils for example.
Honestly there’s not a good thing about using mini splits in Grow Rooms at all.
For one they seem like they cost less but You pay more per Ton for them than if you bought Standard ACs that can be used to do far greater work….. dehumidification work.
Minis/Dehus in Veg/Clone can be OK but soon? You will not see them in a Flower Room at all

A common misnomer, the Unit is a Heat Pump, there is no Part called heat pump, a heat pump is simply a regular AC with two added parts, the Reversing Valve and the Defrost Control (plus a couple of check valves and sensor for those)
So, the Heat Pump can Heat or Cool, but you need both at the same time to reheat, so normally there’sa second heat source like heating coils for example.
Honestly there’s not a good thing about using mini splits in Grow Rooms at all.
For one they seem like they cost less but You pay more per Ton for them than if you bought Standard ACs that can be used to do far greater work….. dehumidification work.
Minis/Dehus in Veg/Clone can be OK but soon? You will not see them in a Flower Room at all

What brand/system would you recommend instead of the minisplits for two rooms both 12x11 flower and veg/clone? I can buy a three ton unit and run forced air with ducting and vents at ceiling level. I have central heating in the rooms already. Appreciate all the help brother 💪

With LEDs you are just getting by with that. I prefer to give at least 1/2 ton of AC per light, even with LEDs. That metric is ideal to offset heat from all your other appliances and give you complete control of VPD and environment with high density planting. Doing that math, I'd go with a 2 ton mini-split, MINIMUM. It will actually run more efficiently that way also, rather than taxing your lower tonnage and having to run that lower tonnage unit 110% of the time and getting less life out of it.

Let me help you with the actual HVAC math.
So 4x640 is 2600w
You then mul 2600x3.412 (the real btu factor) and get 8871.2 BTUs
So 8872 is you load BEFORE any fans, dehumidifiers or ANY other heat.

Now ACs… 12000 btu per ton is for the TOTAL work it can do BUT there’sa ratio about 70/30 of sensible work, compared to latent work, sensible work cools your lights, latent work dehumidifies the room (yes you can use an AC alone but there’s details)
So 70% of 12000btu or 1ton is 8400btu of Light cooling Sensible work.

You need a little more than 1ton just for the lights.

I looked at the quest website and the 165 is listed at over 9000 BTUs itself so according to that, anytime the dehumidifier is running. It will need 1 ton of cooling for it in addition to the lights 1 ton.

How we haven’t considered environmental factors like do you have a Refrigeration Panels or do you have drywall and fiberglass and wood framing? Is it old construction? It’s not very airtight. That’s going to add Cooling needs in the hot times as you noted.

If I had the money I’d get a 3ton that does three heads and 3-1ton heads and put two in this room, and one in veg,mom.

You can even miss match the heads and manipulate the work…. For example, you can oversize the heads and if zone is not using Cooling. The other zones will get more so you could put two 1 1/2 ton heads in the flower room and one and a half ton had in your vegroom and even though that adds up to 4 1/2 tons you’re only still have 3 tons of total cooling.

Now that I spent all your money ;-)
Don’t start with 1ton,

Here’s more info
View attachment 355609
I am curious about some of this because I am running a 10,000 BTU window unit with 4 650 watt LED's and a 110 pint dehumidifier and I only struggle a couples weeks out of the year. This set up has been running for several years like this. Add to this I have ran 5 lights and a 120 pint dehumidifier and had zero problems with keeping rooms cool with 1.5 tons of ac. Is something not being taking into consideration, heat sink on LED'S not sure just asking.
With such a large disparity between these numbers what is the cost factor consideration for cycling the larger unit on and off so many times a day. Additionally what about the dead band of say +/- 3 degrees upsetting the plant. I find the plant likes things to be the same or as close as possible. Both would have the same dead band but one would be more gradual and less events per day.

I am curious about some of this because I am running a 10,000 BTU window unit with 4 650 watt LED's and a 110 pint dehumidifier and I only struggle a couples weeks out of the year. This set up has been running for several years like this. Add to this I have ran 5 lights and a 120 pint dehumidifier and had zero problems with keeping rooms cool with 1.5 tons of ac. Is something not being taking into consideration, heat sink on LED'S not sure just asking.
With such a large disparity between these numbers what is the cost factor consideration for cycling the larger unit on and off so many times a day. Additionally what about the dead band of say +/- 3 degrees upsetting the plant. I find the plant likes things to be the same or as close as possible. Both would have the same dead band but one would be more gradual and less events per day.
What kinds of yields are you hitting? >50g/sq ft? I find what works for old densities doesn't quite cut it for high density high production gardens. When you really cram the plants in there, the increase in humidity makes all the appliances work so much harder.

What kinds of yields are you hitting? >50g/sq ft? I find what works for old densities doesn't quite cut it for high density high production gardens. When you really cram the plants in there, the increase in humidity makes all the appliances work so much harder.
The best I have done is 2.75 pounds per light. And I have hit 2.5 multiple times but more common. 2.25 per light.

incredible, thank you!
Cannabis Mechanical nailed this one! If you think you need 2 tons get 3 tons. My reasoning is the equipment will not work as hard and last longer? Maybe?

CM definitely would know more about this though!

I bought a 3 Ton Mirage unit in SoCal new in the box with all the necessary copper tubing that was pre charged with refrigerant for $1500 off Facebook marketplace or Craig’s list. It came with everything needed besides electrical and took less than a day to install. A friend that works in HVAC is definitely a plus when it comes to charging the unit with refrigerant the first time.

At the end of the day TrolMaster is able to control the unit and I’m happy with the purchase.

I am running 4 650w leds that give off 2k btus of heat plus a 165quest dehu in a 144sqft room. I just wanted some peoples opinions of going 1ton/will it be working to hard or should it be ok? Or Should I go 18k btus instead? Pleasure to meet everyone that replies I am a new member and very excited to be able to chat with everyone 🙏. Thankyou cannacabana for public registration
I run six 680 watt LEDs as well as a Quest dual 110 and have never had an issue with a 3 ton.

Thankyou very much, I’m next to Long Beach but not by the coast so I don’t get that temp change from the ocean day to day tends to be a little hotter some days in those months as you said. Also gotta do the math for what my bill will be as we have probably the most expensive company in the US tier one we get 660kw @.30 then 1000kw tier two @.40 and max at .50 🤦‍♂️
SCE will probably take me to court and sue me for this someday BUT:

Call SCE and tell them you have an electric car. (You probably need to own your house) and they will without hesitation or proof of said imaginary car give you the TOU Prime rate. Which means no more tiers or tears! Ha.

Electricity is 63cents per KW 4pm-9pm 365 however from 9pm to 4pm it’s always 23ish cents 365 and your tiers/tears will be over!

Peace

PS the photo from Quest … the BTU shown is not correct, not sure what that meant but there’s a value missing from the pic that’s lower
Thankyou bro I’ll ask quest what type of heat they put out. Was thinking of just purchasing a couple 80pint units for much cheaper?

With LEDs you are just getting by with that. I prefer to give at least 1/2 ton of AC per light, even with LEDs. That metric is ideal to offset heat from all your other appliances and give you complete control of VPD and environment with high density planting. Doing that math, I'd go with a 2 ton mini-split, MINIMUM. It will actually run more efficiently that way also, rather than taxing your lower tonnage and having to run that lower tonnage unit 110% of the time and getting less life out of it.
I’ve been thinking of going 2ton as well lately and one for the veg/clone/mother room

Back