How big of a Mini split do you recommend/Socal

Kook82

I am running 4 650w leds that give off 2k btus of heat plus a 165quest dehu in a 144sqft room. I just wanted some peoples opinions of going 1ton/will it be working to hard or should it be ok? Or Should I go 18k btus instead? Pleasure to meet everyone that replies I am a new member and very excited to be able to chat with everyone 🙏. Thankyou cannacabana for public registration

I am running 4 650w leds that give off 2k btus of heat plus a 165quest dehu in a 144sqft room. I just wanted some peoples opinions of going 1ton/will it be working to hard or should it be ok? Or Should I go 18k btus instead? Pleasure to meet everyone that replies I am a new member and very excited to be able to chat with everyone 🙏. Thankyou cannacabana for public registration
I am in Socal and I have done similar. You can get away with 12,000 BTU's ( 1 ton) with 4 650 watt Leds. Might have a couple hot days in August or September but 1.5 would work no problem. Some is going to depend on what part of Socal. There can be 25 degree swings in Socal based on location.

I am in Socal and I have done similar. You can get away with 12,000 BTU's ( 1 ton) with 4 650 watt Leds. Might have a couple hot days in August or September but 1.5 would work no problem. Some is going to depend on what part of Socal. There can be 25 degree swings in Socal based on location.
Thankyou very much, I’m next to Long Beach but not by the coast so I don’t get that temp change from the ocean day to day tends to be a little hotter some days in those months as you said. Also gotta do the math for what my bill will be as we have probably the most expensive company in the US tier one we get 660kw @.30 then 1000kw tier two @.40 and max at .50 🤦‍♂️

Thankyou very much, I’m next to Long Beach but not by the coast so I don’t get that temp change from the ocean day to day tends to be a little hotter some days in those months as you said. Also gotta do the math for what my bill will be as we have probably the most expensive company in the US tier one we get 660kw @.30 then 1000kw tier two @.40 and max at .50 🤦‍♂️
If you have SCE it is going to be more than that come summer. With 4 flower lights and maybe veg you are looking at about 750 a month for electric. It is about 200 a month per light and 150 for the veg set up.

we still need to do the AC at my place

A friend had 5 tons of AC and 12 LED lights and a co2 burner. The AC could keep up at about 600 watts per LED. Or 75%. So around 10,000 watts and 60,000 btu. If that helps. Anything higher and they found that they would freeze up the AC on cold days and needed temp control shut off on their light controls.
There are components available to avoid this but they were broke as hell and just worked around it this way.

Not expert advice. Just survival choices and some applicable math for a mild climate.

If you have SCE it is going to be more than that come summer. With 4 flower lights and maybe veg you are looking at about 750 a month for electric. It is about 200 a month per light and 150 for the veg set up.
Ok that’s not too bad, I was honestly thinking double without doing the math. Much appreciated brother, I’ll keep ya updated 🤘

Lucky I was able to get those extra kw via medical baseline, wonder how that will work with a time of use plan, def will let ya know🤘

A good rule of thumb for led lights is 3.6 watts per btu. This calculation also works for your dehum as well. 650x4=2600w 2600x3.6=9360 so 9,360btu just for the lights. Look up how many watts for the dehum and add that in to your total btu needed.

Sorry I typed that out wrong lol but the calculation is right. I meant to say 3.6btu for every watt on led. Total watts x 3.6= total btu needed

I always prefer to over shoot what I need so my A/C's don't have to work as hard!

Let me help you with the actual HVAC math.
So 4x640 is 2600w
You then mul 2600x3.412 (the real btu factor) and get 8871.2 BTUs
So 8872 is you load BEFORE any fans, dehumidifiers or ANY other heat.

Now ACs… 12000 btu per ton is for the TOTAL work it can do BUT there’sa ratio about 70/30 of sensible work, compared to latent work, sensible work cools your lights, latent work dehumidifies the room (yes you can use an AC alone but there’s details)
So 70% of 12000btu or 1ton is 8400btu of Light cooling Sensible work.

You need a little more than 1ton just for the lights.

I looked at the quest website and the 165 is listed at over 9000 BTUs itself so according to that, anytime the dehumidifier is running. It will need 1 ton of cooling for it in addition to the lights 1 ton.

How we haven’t considered environmental factors like do you have a Refrigeration Panels or do you have drywall and fiberglass and wood framing? Is it old construction? It’s not very airtight. That’s going to add Cooling needs in the hot times as you noted.

If I had the money I’d get a 3ton that does three heads and 3-1ton heads and put two in this room, and one in veg,mom.

You can even miss match the heads and manipulate the work…. For example, you can oversize the heads and if zone is not using Cooling. The other zones will get more so you could put two 1 1/2 ton heads in the flower room and one and a half ton had in your vegroom and even though that adds up to 4 1/2 tons you’re only still have 3 tons of total cooling.

Now that I spent all your money ;-)
Don’t start with 1ton,

Here’s more info
IMG_7846.jpeg
I always prefer to over shoot what I need so my A/C's don't have to work as hard!

i ran a
4K watt flower room (HPS) in Missouri and went with a Fujitsu 18K BTU mini split. Love it and still using it today with 3K watts. it did a great job.

i would recommend going a bit over the minimum in case you need to expand in the future

Let me help you with the actual HVAC math.
So 4x640 is 2600w
You then mul 2600x3.412 (the real btu factor) and get 8871.2 BTUs
So 8872 is you load BEFORE any fans, dehumidifiers or ANY other heat.

Now ACs… 12000 btu per ton is for the TOTAL work it can do BUT there’sa ratio about 70/30 of sensible work, compared to latent work, sensible work cools your lights, latent work dehumidifies the room (yes you can use an AC alone but there’s details)
So 70% of 12000btu or 1ton is 8400btu of Light cooling Sensible work.

You need a little more than 1ton just for the lights.

I looked at the quest website and the 165 is listed at over 9000 BTUs itself so according to that, anytime the dehumidifier is running. It will need 1 ton of cooling for it in addition to the lights 1 ton.

How we haven’t considered environmental factors like do you have a Refrigeration Panels or do you have drywall and fiberglass and wood framing? Is it old construction? It’s not very airtight. That’s going to add Cooling needs in the hot times as you noted.

If I had the money I’d get a 3ton that does three heads and 3-1ton heads and put two in this room, and one in veg,mom.

You can even miss match the heads and manipulate the work…. For example, you can oversize the heads and if zone is not using Cooling. The other zones will get more so you could put two 1 1/2 ton heads in the flower room and one and a half ton had in your vegroom and even though that adds up to 4 1/2 tons you’re only still have 3 tons of total cooling.

Now that I spent all your money ;-)
Don’t start with 1ton,

Here’s more info
View attachment 355609
Wow I completely forgot the btus the quest puts out. Thankyou very much for the information 🙏

Back