How about them No Pest Strips...

Slim Pickens

I Blue my mind.
No Pest Strips was mentioned in a recent thread.

Are those a viable option for control of unwanted guests?How would you go about using one?This is for an indoor grow in a spare bedroom.The unwanted guests are in my "Mom tent",as the flower tent is currently empty..

Would you open both tents and hang the strip in the middle of the room,or would you hang it in the veg tent?I would of course turn off the fans and do my best to seal the room.Considering the need to hang that strip for at least 6 days,how would you do your watering?Maybe I am overreacting,but I know that those strips aren't healthy,so want to limit exposure.

After a week,would you remove the strip and turn on the fans for a couple days before resuming normalcy?Anyone know if there is a residue left behind?

What pest are you fighting? Mites? A more aggressive approach would be suggested, I fought the great mite wars of 2010 thru 14 n lost....started from scratch

They work for a bit but wont kill all the mites. The ones that are resistent will breed and make nopest resistant kids. Better to not be around the poison it puts off. Me and a few others guys from here I went to school with messed with them for a bit. I will never use them again. You will be breathing the chemical poison fumes when you are around them and they will not work eventually as well.

Appreciate the help.

I thought maybe you folks could help me identify,as I don't know what I am looking at.I have 1 of those $10 usb microscopes,so I cut portions off a few leaves,and posted the pics here.Looks like one bug is grazing the underside of a leaf.I cannot tell what all the black spots are.

I suppose it will be obvious to you fellas with years of experience,but I looked for pest pics on theView attachment 341346View attachment 341343View attachment 341361View attachment 341357View attachment 341344View attachment 341358View attachment 341345View attachment 3413591.jpgView attachment 341364View attachment 341365View attachment 341366 internet and get nada.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
You don't want to put those NPS things in your house, for one. For another they won't kill them all. That's just not safe to be used in an occupied dwelling at all. It even tells you that on the label. Try Green Clean, but you're going to have to repeat it every week or so. Why not just use Forbid 4F, which is systemic, and keeps on killing through out their entire life cycle. If you do indeed have mites, those black spots are eggs. So do no hesitate. Treat them right away, or you'll definitely lose your plants when all those eggs hatch. Treat them with whatever you have on hand now, and order an ounce or 2 of Forbid 4F, and treat with that as soon as you get it. I ordered off ebay. I bought 1, or 2 oz for under $20. Do Not use forbid on flowering plants unless it's within the first couple of weeks. I can't remember exactly how long it stays in the plant tissue, but even if you treated your plants at the beginning of flower it's out of them by the time you harvest.

You don't want to put those NPS things in your house, for one. For another they won't kill them all. That's just not safe to be used in an occupied dwelling at all. It even tells you that on the label. Try Green Clean, but you're going to have to repeat it every week or so. Why not just use Forbid 4F, which is systemic, and keeps on killing through out their entire life cycle. If you do indeed have mites, those black spots are eggs. So do no hesitate. Treat them right away, or you'll definitely lose your plants when all those eggs hatch. Treat them with whatever you have on hand now, and order an ounce or 2 of Forbid 4F, and treat with that as soon as you get it. I ordered off ebay. I bought 1, or 2 oz for under $20. Do Not use forbid on flowering plants unless it's within the first couple of weeks. I can't remember exactly how long it stays in the plant tissue, but even if you treated your plants at the beginning of flower it's out of them by the time you harvest. If those are aphids, IDK if Forbid works on them.

You don't want to put those NPS things in your house, for one. For another they won't kill them all. That's just not safe to be used in an occupied dwelling at all. It even tells you that on the label. Try Green Clean, but you're going to have to repeat it every week or so. Why not just use Forbid 4F, which is systemic, and keeps on killing through out their entire life cycle. If you do indeed have mites, those black spots are eggs. So do no hesitate. Treat them right away, or you'll definitely lose your plants when all those eggs hatch. Treat them with whatever you have on hand now, and order an ounce or 2 of Forbid 4F, and treat with that as soon as you get it. I ordered off ebay. I bought 1, or 2 oz for under $20. Do Not use forbid on flowering plants unless it's within the first couple of weeks. I can't remember exactly how long it stays in the plant tissue, but even if you treated your plants at the beginning of flower it's out of them by the time you harvest.

Llsten to this man..... it may keep you from getting sick. spray the bottoms of your leaf's really well, that is where the babies are... act quick, that's a lot of eggs man... luck

Appreciate the help.

I thought maybe you folks could help me identify,as I don't know what I am looking at.I have 1 of those $10 usb microscopes,so I cut portions off a few leaves,and posted the pics here.Looks like one bug is grazing the underside of a leaf.I cannot tell what all the black spots are.

I suppose it will be obvious to you fellas with years of experience,but I looked for pest pics on theView attachment 341346View attachment 341343View attachment 341361View attachment 341357View attachment 341344View attachment 341358View attachment 341345View attachment 341359View attachment 341363View attachment 341364View attachment 341365View attachment 341366 internet and get nada.
How many x’s is the scope you are using?

No pest strips should only be used in the garage and not in the home. They work well to kill off. Whiteflies and thrips but I’d imagine spider mites would become immune like NG said. I have killed mites with them before in clone domes though lol but that is a small population of them in a small space.

Slim, I agree with the others: don't use the no pest strips. They won't kill everything, and they will poison you if you use them indoors.

I'm not sure from the photos exactly what bug you're dealing with. They don't look anything like spider mites. Actually look more like aphids. Are they visible to the naked eye? Aphids are about 1 mm long, you can see them clearly on the underside of leaves (if you have decent eyes, or are wearing your specs).

Anyway, Forbid is for mites, so maybe not what you want. I have used Merit 75WP for aphids before and it works with one application. Use only on vegging plants. Other alternatives are insecticidal soap, oil-based products, etc., but they require multiple applications and may be hard on your plants.

You don't want to put those NPS things in your house, for one. For another they won't kill them all. That's just not safe to be used in an occupied dwelling at all. It even tells you that on the label. Try Green Clean, but you're going to have to repeat it every week or so. Why not just use Forbid 4F, which is systemic, and keeps on killing through out their entire life cycle. If you do indeed have mites, those black spots are eggs. So do no hesitate. Treat them right away, or you'll definitely lose your plants when all those eggs hatch. Treat them with whatever you have on hand now, and order an ounce or 2 of Forbid 4F, and treat with that as soon as you get it. I ordered off ebay. I bought 1, or 2 oz for under $20. Do Not use forbid on flowering plants unless it's within the first couple of weeks. I can't remember exactly how long it stays in the plant tissue, but even if you treated your plants at the beginning of flower it's out of them by the time you harvest. If those are aphids, IDK if Forbid works on them.

I know the pest strips are undesirable,and I am concerned about using them or any of the miticides for that matter.Just figured if I hung it in the tent and sealed it up,maybe I could get away with it.I wouldn't hurt anyones feelings for the world,but those miticides scare me.so I am inclined to try the Green Cleaner and keep my fingers crossed.

Shoot,might even try a quick ISO Alcohol and water spray just to set the mood. :)

Llsten to this man..... it may keep you from getting sick. spray the bottoms of your leaf's really well, that is where the babies are... act quick, that's a lot of eggs man... luck

Yeah.Everything is going to get a serious application.

How many x’s is the scope you are using?

I don't really know the magnification.There are no dials or indicators.The microscope looks very similar to this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/1000X-Magn...343102?hash=item2cff73d83e:g:LjIAAOSwkNRd-0Gl

Slim, I agree with the others: don't use the no pest strips. They won't kill everything, and they will poison you if you use them indoors.

I'm not sure from the photos exactly what bug you're dealing with. They don't look anything like spider mites. Actually look more like aphids. Are they visible to the naked eye? Aphids are about 1 mm long, you can see them clearly on the underside of leaves (if you have decent eyes, or are wearing your specs).

Anyway, Forbid is for mites, so maybe not what you want. I have used Merit 75WP for aphids before and it works with one application. Use only on vegging plants. Other alternatives are insecticidal soap, oil-based products, etc., but they require multiple applications and may be hard on your plants.

The bug in the pic was just barely visible.Looked like a small bump.Nothing else is visible except the white spots on the top of the leaves indicating an anomaly.I don't know what the eggs are either,but it isn't an aphid.I had really hoped one of you guys with sharp eyes could ID it for me.lol.The local garden store has Green Cleaner,so might grab some to try.The alcohol and water might help as well,as a first application.?

So, I think those are thrips, the black spots are their dumps, and mite eggs look like cloudy trichs but on the underside of the leaves. Thrips aint shit to kill if youve had mites.

yup thrips, I third that. Spinosad is the typical amendment for them. Monterey Garden Spray. Organic pesticide discovered in an old brewery debris.

Forgot to mention, diatomaceous earth will take care of thrips too, in theory most if not all soft bodied pest. The problem is applying the shit. Here's a suggestion, take that isopropyl alcohol mix you were going to try and say you make half a liter, add 1/4 teaspoon diatomaceous earth to it. Shake it well and keep shaking it as you spray the plants to keep the DE in suspension. When the water and alcohol dries it will leave the DE behind. It doesn't matter if DE gets wet, when it dries its still DE and maintains all the properties.

Did some googling while replying to make sure I wasnt telling you complete bullshit and ran across this site. Seems like thrips are like mites, repeat your IPM every 3 days until you get rid of them.

https://www.nature-and-garden.com/gardening/thrips-eggs.html

Hope this helps

Ah thrips, what a relief. They are pretty easy to kill and as Hashmasta K said, Monterey Garden Spray (active ingredient spinosad) will do the trick. It is very safe and also OMRI listed, so you can still call your weed "organic" if you use it ;)

no pest strip in an enclosed area it should kill bugs in short time like over night

edit..

nah i over sprayed and saw some wrecked leaves..i retract what i said..

if you spray..it kills on contact..light spray with 70% was fine..if you wanna try it spray then wash off

it kills bugs and probably the eggs too...i would be interested in how much it can be diluted and still be effective

dilution

Last edited:
Back