Favorite pH meter ?

You guys might laugh but I've had the same red Hannah ph meter since 2009. Only had to calibrate it once, though always have kept storage solution in the cap/on the bulb when not in use.

OaktonWD354231091261105.lr.jpg

ditto. according to my local retailers, every brand has had quality control issues at one point or another. i've been using the same oakton pH 1 for a few years now and keep a new pH 2 around just in case. every now and then i soak it in pH 4.0 overnight to clean off any gunk. :)

glad to know i made the right choice, didn't research it this time before buying. but its one of the best garden tools i have in my arsenal. it calibrates with a button push and is 100% water proof. what more can you ask for? :) i also keep another less expensive meter around for comparison purposes.

I've been growing the same strain, with the same nutes & water source for years and haven't needed my pH meter for a long time.

Now I'm working with some new genetics and need to check the pH. My Hanna 98127 has been sitting dry for a long time and I'll likely need a new probe to get it working again. Checked on ebay and see that they are $50, so I'm considering just getting whole new meter.

i went through a couple of those Hanna pens. the downside of replaceable probes is that they cost nearly as much if not more than an entirely new pen, and it may not be the probe that has failed, but the actual pen. if that's the case, you're out over $50 unless you want to take a chance on another $100 meter. :2c:

My bluelab pen has been working for quite a while now. It does require a good cleaning to calibrate sometimes, even though it is always stored with calibration solution. I found cleaning with vinegar works well. Maybe pony up for a storage solution would help.

hehe Castroman - I bought a small red cabbage last month for that lil project. Of course, I didn't use it, didn't try those probe reconditioning methods that were brought up - just broke down and got a replacement probe for the Hanna HI98129 combo meter. I know I know, pathetic! :kendo2:

Have had the 98129 for many years and like it quite a lot.

At least I haggled w/ the hydro store dude, knocked $15 off the probe so it was $45 (down to a competitive online price). Looked like it had been in the box for a while but seems to be working fine.

It may sound ridiculous, but as a Third World grower, I have to make do with next to nothing all the time, and my favorite pH meter is a piece of red cabbage.

To learn more (and see that I'm not kidding) check out this link or this other site.

Cheers

I was wondering what the shelf life of the cabbage juice might be, but the second link tells about using it to color coffee filters & letting them dry to create pH test strips. Genius!

ive always like these and a cheap pool test kit over meters , but i was always a soil lover :thumbsup:

AC101820l.jpg

Thanks for starting this thread, I been meaning to look into this or start my own thread. I been having problems with ph instruments and was getting sick of it. I have a Multi meter now. Blue lab ph/ec combo. I like it but it doesn't go to the hundreds spot. :rollj:

The only problem with ph drops is that they are useless when trying to check organic tea, or organic nutes with humates and/or fish fertilizer. The same goes for runoff ... the dark color makes it impossible to tell the ph of the solution.

The red ones Hanna water proof, just make sure to put tap water in the lid before putting it away each time and they last for years, we have two of them and calibrate them weekly, if the reading is off or strange onetime we check it with the other pen, twice now we have replaced the probe, once in each one, but this is over probably three years time, we did ruin a couple years ago by letting them dry out.

They all suck :( the probes go after about a year in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Hanna tri meter died after 2.5-3 years a few months ago and I miss it. I got an oakton ecotester pH2 and while it is not too bad, I still would love to have the Hanna back. I'll probably go back to the Hanna in awhile, it was solid all around and I would recommend it to anyone. The oakton is good, just keep the probe in some buffer solution and it's good for a few years.

Best of luck, take care and stay safe

guerilla

Last edited:
I've got the Blue lab combo, Hanna HI98129 ph/ec combo pen, 2 Hanna HI981504 continuous trimeters, and a Fisher Accumet XL on my bench.

all calibrated and kept clean, stored in KCL

I trust the accumet and the pen... @$2300 the accumet really isn't a tool for everyone, But the Hanna pen has been just fuckin bomb-proof... It is the 1st meter I bought, and it's been dropped, drop kicked, stepped on, rolled over, tossed in a drawer for years and forgotten, and yep, Dry. The sponge in the cap turned to dust...

Bring it out, overnight in KCL, accurate to 2 decimal points... electrode never changed. Go figure..

None of the in-process gear, the BL and the Hanna Tri's, are consistent. It's my experience that you get the best you can, use it and get used to how it reads in your gear. Or not. I ran outdoors in containers for years without one, but if you start having problems it could save a ton of work and heartache.

Back