Favorite pH meter ?

Glass Man

I've been growing the same strain, with the same nutes & water source for years and haven't needed my pH meter for a long time.

Now I'm working with some new genetics and need to check the pH. My Hanna 98127 has been sitting dry for a long time and I'll likely need a new probe to get it working again. Checked on ebay and see that they are $50, so I'm considering just getting whole new meter.

Do any of you have a favorite that you'd recommend?

Any moderately priced ones that have probes that are particularly long lasting & reliable?

I noticed an Oakton pH 2 for $59. I have had an Oakton TDS meter for years that has been great. Wonder if the pH 2 is good?

(I'll keep soaking my Hanna a little while longer, but so far it doesn't even recognize vinegar! ) :(

I've used the pH drops for 17 years and never once had a battery fail on me...keeping it simple is my favorite way to grow...:gramps:

Bluelab seperate portable ph and ppm meters are waterproof and always spot on. I think its better that theyre 2 seperate devices. Just rinse and dobb it dry then a few drops of kcl in the cap once in a while. In 2 years ive barely calibrated but when i do its always perfect.

Thanks for all the input. I understand the cheapies are junk.

I've had the Hanna 98127 for a long time & it's been okay. It's a bummer that the probes are so pricey.

I'll probably do like Boo said, and just go with drops for the current situation, since I've been getting by fine without using a meter at all. I may not need one very often in the future.

i prefer the continuous type. i have 3 nutridip trimeters i've had good luck with all 3. stays calibrated for a long time.

used my trusty Hanna for years. now i have a totally waterproof Oakton so i can just toss it into the bucket. it is an Eco Testr pH2
about 50 clams if you shop around.

OaktonWD354231091261105.lr.jpg

[YOUTUBE]lkvN0QLXa_A[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
I use bluelab combo meter and have no problem since two years !
Hanna i have many troubles with them, 6months and they don't want to calibrate anymore and i never let them dry.

I've used the pH drops for 17 years and never once had a battery fail on me...keeping it simple is my favorite way to grow...:gramps:

Yessir !
The drops don't need to be calibrated so they are never wrong !
I worked in a grow store for about a year and we had issues with every brand we carried. ( About 6 ) Not every pen,but at least one or two per brand. . :hook:

I googled "how to rejuvenate a pH probe" and found this : http://www.ph-meter.info/http://www.ph-meter.info/http://www.ph-meter.info/pH-electrode-cleaning

More info than you'd ever want to know about pH meters.
There's a page about cleaning & another for rejuvenating. It mentions soaking in a variety of acids & solutions. I have some of them, so I'll give it a shot.

A weak HCl solution is used for a general cleaning soak. HCl is also called Muriatic Acid, & I keep it on hand for cleaning my Sweetwater airstones.

I'm with Boo..I've never had any luck with the meters and they don't seem that accurate..
pH drops are the best...

I ran Milwaukee meters for years until they started to contract their manufacturing to an overseas company. Quality fell through the floor at that point. I've been running the BlueLab pen for the years that followed and I'm very happy with it. The current6 one has been in use for a year and a half. Get the storage solution drops and just squeeze a couple drops in the cap for storage. Keeps the probe clean and moist. She calibrates with no trouble. I can usually find it for about $80 online.

https://www.bluelab.com/ph-pen

I have a few of them here...lately I`ve been using the smaller blue lab pen because it has the water temp option...like to have more then one on hand in case one breaks down and because of my isolation...take care n stay safe.

Attachments

• 012 (800x600).jpg
    012 (800x600).jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 2
ISFET Mini Lab PH meter. Badass PH pen, rugged and you use one drop on the tip of pen to calibrate. Stores dry, I just wipe the tip off and put the cap back on. Got sick of the normal ph pens. Have had mine for 7 yrs now with no issues. Its always within .1 point when I calibrate it.

ISFET Mini Lab PH meter. Badass PH pen, rugged and you use one drop on the tip of pen to calibrate. Stores dry, I just wipe the tip off and put the cap back on. Got sick of the normal ph pens. Have had mine for 7 yrs now with no issues. Its always within .1 point when I calibrate it.

Sounds great, but $350+ is a bit more that I can justify. I wonder if the dry storing silicon probe technology has trickled down to any more affordable models yet?

Milwaukee SM 802 here for 10 years now and I'm on my 3rd probe. First probe died because of me drying it out then dropped it and it cracked. Second one died 1 month after getting it and Milwaukee replaced it right away. The replacement has been going strong for about 5 years now.

I have been looking into the new version, MW 802, but mine still works. Think I might get the new one as a backup because seriously, how much longer is mine going to last?

Glass Man, thanks for the rejuv link! Some pretty cool info in there.

Back