Dolomitic lime

Omni im finding your posts very insightful as a coco grower, thank you! Much of what you are saying makes much more sense to real farmers than traditional internet container gardening methods, especially for organic soil. Dumping tons of lime is not an economical option on a large scale nor is it natural...which should be the absolute goal of those claiming to use pure, "all organic" methods indoors.

Without hijacking the thread too badly...have the Dutch figured out a way to replace flavor when using coco as a hydro medium? Its the only weak point of coco medium IMO.

I second this, Omni. You care to talk more shop in regards to coco? Seems you don't accept private messages.

Fwiw, since I started using a dechlorinator to remove chlorine amd chloramine from the water I noticed a marked improvement in plant vigor. Chlorine kills bacteria which are useful for my soil. It worked so well I got them for my garden hoses and water my landscape that way. Big difference both outdoor and indoor.

Relax Dorje, my friend didn't ment you :-)

Thanks Avo. I don't block anyone. Please tell me what I do wrong. !!

@Reed Man
Adding potassium meta silicate and seaweed extracts gives much improofment.
Spraying with molasses based foliar foods and/or apple sirup helps to.

I don't grow sterile on hydro.
But start with stabelising phosphoric acid, Yara SuperFK (gives massive roots) and a mix of bacteria and fungi.
I pump this mix for 2 day's thrue the mat's until the offrun is stable on pH 5,8 and EC 1,2 (max)
Than I ad the plants.

Last edited:
My tap water is ok to use just as it is. It is even good enough for my coffee, and if you know how serious we Dutch take our coffee..........:-)
But in other country's I use bottle water, so, its depend on the tap water you have.
And don't forget the plant need a little bit Cl.

Fwiw, since I started using a dechlorinator to remove chlorine amd chloramine from the water I noticed a marked improvement in plant vigor. Chlorine kills bacteria which are useful for my soil. It worked so well I got them for my garden hoses and water my landscape that way. Big difference both outdoor and indoor.

Yeah, I responded to your message and it said you have turned off your ability to receive messages.

This thread reminds me allot of the great old saying in Organic soil growing we don’t feed the plants we feed the soil!!!

My favorite Organic soil products of all time are Kelp, Dolomite Lime and molasses!!!!

Sorry Italian, I liked your post ;) Where the hell have you been, good to see you posting.

I am a HUGE fan of molasses. Seems like every time I add it to the feed, there's a big flush of new flowers.

okay, since this thread started out about calcium, i'll toss out a question or two.

We don't have grow shops and such around these parts. The outdoor garden is a five year old till on virgin glacial dump clays and rocks. I can find a lot of 'flat' rocks that i think are limestone, and we toss the bigguns on a rock pile. Every year, we have some blossem end rot on the tomatoes. We have access to oyster shell grit (usaully there's a LOT of powder in the bag) from the feed store. When i see the end rot, i usually do a foliar feed of epsom salt and spray some on the root area. If this means that the garden needs more calcium in the soil, do you suppose that burying one of those limestones under the tomato plant will help, or would it be too slow in release? Oyster shell? Garden lime? I know, we should get the soil tested.

Then, there's the houseplant thing. It is what it is, as far as what is available locally for potting mixes. Mostly, i try to see which pallet has the fewest flies buzzing around it, (in it). Often that means, 'organic M.Grow soil.' with 'added MG nutes'. What a bunch of advertising, that is. Anyway, i try to flush the mix before using, to get rid of some of the nutes, and then build with organics from there. Starting a bin for composting indoor, as it's freezing for so much of the year, here, and an indoor bin will help keep unwanteds from entering from anything outside. So, lately, i'm watering with aged tap water with a little leaf for the chloramine and chlorine to eat itself to death on, then pour that into another bucket that has worm castings for the watering tea. Question is, do the worm castings add calcium, or enough usable calcium that i don't need to worry about adding oystershell?

I gave up on meters and such, and hope that the soil is doing a good job, nothing is dying, well not much more than usual, ha. What do i need to watch for in the plants, as far as the calcium and worm castings are concerned?

Oh, i also have epsoma on hand and some mycos (sp?) stuff.

Back