Creating Feminized Seed

I've made a little isolation chamber and stuck another Early Skunk in to join the STS treated one.

I have my doubts the second one will finish but the treated one is showing both sexes!

Both Sexes small.jpgpollen chamber small.jpg

gosh, there must be posts on this somewhere, i know that it has been discussed before. Yah, supposedly put seeds on plate with a ripening nanner and viola! MOST of the seeds will be girls, because of the gasses emitted by the fruit. I have heard that it will make 75% or more of the seeds be female. This is useful if maybe needing a FEW males from same strain. I have always suspected that using the silvers and having a male pop out is possible pollen from 'somehwere else'. I've not tried it, but i know there is info on it. somewhere.

There may be something to what you say there nannymouse. Perhaps the ripening banana also suppresses ethlyne.
The following quote may even make you less fearful of STS. :)

Silver Thiosulfate Solution (STS)
STS is the most commonly used chemical mix for creating stable feminized pollen. While it may not be the only method, it is arguably the most commonly used and is very reliable. Female cannabis plants require ethylene production to form female flowers. Without ethylene being produced, the female cannabis plant will produce male flowers full of feminized pollen. Silver Thiosulfate Solution(STS) suppresses ethylene production in plants. When this solution is properly applied to the bud sites of a cannabis plant, the plant will not produce ethylene. Again, without the ethylene, male flowers form.

Last edited:
I sure appreciate your efforts and cannot wait to use this on my last Purple Punch Fem'd seed
as I really want to save this strain.. but a smoke test of these 2 will confirm what I suspect will be a wonderful smoke. be using spare bathroom tub as isolation chamber....

Nanny, that is very interesting for sure... these plants are just amazing and I just keep learning more and more each day about them...

Early Skunk male is at 11 weeks and about done. I didn't notice any seed formation.

I do have hopes that the female is pollinated.

Early Skunk Declining Male 11 weeks small.jpg

Does this explanation (from Speakeasy seedbank that Archer linked) of what the feminized seed process creates sound about right?

A. To put it in extremely–and perhaps oversimplifed!– words, S1 seeds are created when the sex of a mother plant is ‘reversed’ and the female mother plant itself is pollinated with it’s own pollen (IE Self-Pollinated). Rather than a by-product of some kind of accident, our S1 seeds (for example, the S1 Collection bred by CSI: Humboldt) are produced purposefully and responsibly through careful pollen collection / donation techniques. With S1s, you will see the full representation of the mother’s genetics (including very similar phenos to the mom) which makes for an indescribably enriching, educating, and fulfilling experience but please remember that–as a natural by-product of in-breeding depression–you will also encounter some undesirable mutants along the way. A roughly 50/50 ratio exists between the two (making it very similar to the M/F ratio in a pack of regular seeds), so make sure you have a little extra room and perhaps even grab a 2nd pack – we feel very strongly that finding a near identical representation of the original clone-only mom (and in many cases an even better version) FAR outweighs this little bit of extra work!

Back