Creating Feminized Seed

Defacto

TLDR: go to post 20 :)

A better write up: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=357407

re tissue propagation "Sticky Fingers" advice is:

You are better off keeping a mother plant and making clones or breed your own seeds. Try this you young chemist. Make female seed clones.
https://www.dudegrows.com/tissue-culture-storage/

Investigating further, it seems Countrymon took a study and developed the technique over a year or so in 2002, using various concentrations on many different cultivars to arrive at the final ratios. When others tried to profit from the work, Countrymon wrote up a detailed guide and set it loose on the internet as public domain information. Douglas.Curtis @ ICMag correlated this information. https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=355420&page=2

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=58957&page=4

Contrymon's methodology:

Archive; Silverthiosulfate Prep 101

Preparation of STS:

First, a stock solution is made. It consists of two parts (A and B) that are initially mixed separately, then blended together. Part A is ALWAYS mixed into part B while stirring rapidly. Use distilled water; tap water may cause precipitates to form.

Wear gloves while mixing and using these chemicals, and mix and use in a properly ventilated area. A mask will prevent the breathing of any dust, which is caustic. STS is colorless and odorless, and poses minimal health risks if used as described here. (See material safety data sheet links below). Note that silver nitrate and STS can cause brown stains upon drying, so spray over newspaper and avoid spilling.

Part A: .5 gram silver nitrate stirred into 500ml distilled water
Part B: 2.5 grams sodium thiosulfate (anhydrous) stirred into 500ml distilled water

The silver nitrate dissolves within 15 seconds. The sodium thiosulfate takes 30-45 seconds to dissolve.

The silver nitrate solution (A) is then mixed into the sodium thiosulfate solution (B) while stirring rapidly. The resulting blend is stock silver thiosulfate solution (STS).

This stock solution is then diluted at a ratio of 1:9 to make a working solution. For example, 100ml of stock STS is added to 900ml of distilled water. This is then sprayed on select female plants.

Both the stock STS and the working solution should be refrigerated after use, as well as the powdered chemicals, to avoid activity loss.

The adjusted formula is as follows:

Part A: .7 gram silver nitrate stirred into 40ml distilled water
Part B: 2.6 grams sodium thiosulfate (anhydrous) stirred into 160 ml distilled water

Next, slowly add the silver nitrate solution to the sodium thiosulfate solution while stirring. This combination is then added to 800 ml of distilled water to equal 1 liter. This is your final stock solution. It is diluted 1:9 with more distilled water to make your final working solution, which then gets sprayed on your target plant.

Either formula will work great, so don't sweat it too much. But do that second spraying at the end of week 2... seems to be the key for getting pollen from the more difficult strains.

Application:

The STS working solution is sprayed on select female plants until runoff. Do the spraying over newspaper in a separate area from the flower room. You probably won't smell anything, but ventilate anyway. You now have what I call a "F>M plant"; a female plant that will produce male flowers.

After the F>M plant dries move it into 12/12 immediately. This is usually done three to four weeks prior to the date that the target (to be pollinated) plants will be ready to pollinate. Response times may vary slightly depending upon the strain. More specific times can be determined by trial with your own individual strains. In my trials it took 26 days for the first pollen. 30-35 days seems optimum for planning purposes.

So, assuming that a target plant needs 3-4 weeks to produce fully mature seeds, a strain that takes 8 weeks to mature should be moved into flower at about the same time as the female>male plant. A target plant that finishes flowering in 6 weeks needs to be moved into flower later (10 days or so) so that it doesn't finish before the seeds can fully mature.

A seeded individual branch can be left to mature on a plant for a bit longer, while harvesting the other seedless buds if they finish first. Just leave enough leaves on for the plant for it to stay healthy.

Effects:

Within days I noticed a yellowing of the leaves on the F>M plants. This effect persisted for two weeks or so; after this they became green again, except for a few of the larger fans. The plants otherwise seemed healthy. No burning was observed. Growth stopped dead for the first ten days, and then resumed slowly. No stretch was ever seen. After two weeks the F>M plants were obviously forming male flower clusters. Not just a few clusters of balls, but complete male flower tops. One plant still formed some pistillate flowers, but overall it was predominantly male.

It is strange indeed to see an old girlfriend that you know like the back of your hand go through a sex change. I'll admit that things were awkward between us at first.

When the F>M plants look like they may soon open and release pollen, ( 3-1/2 to 4 weeks) move them from the main flower room into another unventilated room or closet with lighting on a 12/12 timer. Don't worry too much about watts per square foot; it will only be temporary.

When the pollen flies, move your target plants into the closet and pollinate.

A more controlled approach is to isolate the F>M plants in a third remote closet (no light is necessary in this one, as they are releasing pollen now and are nearly finished anyway). In this remote other closet the pollen is very carefully collected in a plastic produce bag or newspaper sleeve and then brought back to the lighted closet, where the target plants are now located. If this is done, be careful to not mix pollen types by letting the F>Ms dust each other. Avoid movement, or use yet another closet.

Take special care to not let pollen gather on the outside of this bag- a static charge is sometimes present. Drop small open clusters of blooms inside and then close the bag at the mouth and shake. Important: next, step outside and slowly release the excess air from the bag, collapsing it completely, so that pollen doesn't get released accidently. Point downwind; don't let it get on your hands or clothes.

This collapsed pollinated bag is now very carefully slipped over only one branch and is then tied off tightly at the mouth around the branch stem with a twist tie or tape, sealing the pollen inside. Let the bag inflate slightly with air again before sealing it off, so the branch can breathe. This technique keeps the entire plant from seeding. Agitate the bag a bit after tying it off to distribute the pollen. Don't forget to label the branch so you know which seeds are which. Other branches on this same plant can be hit with different pollen sources.

If no lighted closet is available, the plant can be moved back into the main room, but- be very careful: pollen is sneaky. After 4-5 days, the bag is gently removed and the plant completes it's flowering cycle.

Yet another method has worked well for me. I position the target plants in a non-ventilated lighted closet, and then I collect pollen on a piece of mirror or glass. This is then carefully applied to the pistils of one pre-labeled branch by using a very fine watercolor paintbrush. Care is taken to not agitate the branch or the pollen. No sneezing. The plant needs to be in place first; moving it after pollination can shake pollen free and blow this technique.

Regardless of technique, at completion you will have feminized seeds. Let them dry for 2-4 weeks.

About the chemicals:

Silver nitrate is a white crystalline light-sensitive chemical that is commonly used in photography. It is also used in babies' eyes at birth to prevent blindness. It can cause mild skin irritation, and it stains brown. Avoid breathing. I didn't notice any smell or fumes, but ventilation is recommended. Be sure to wash the spray bottle well before you use it elsewhere; better yet: devote a bottle to STS use. A half gram is a surprisingly small amount; it would fit inside a gel capsule.

Last edited:
Further notes from Countrymon:

I wanted to add a few quick observations about STS.

First, the strength listed is meant to be used with "fresh" silver nitrate. It's important to understand that silver nitrate loses it's activity over a period of 6 months to a year, even in the refrigerator.

So - after your sn (in crystal form) spends 3 months in the fridge, I'd mix your spray solution at 5:1; after 6 months, go to about 3:1; after that, hit them with the full strength stock solution, or better yet, get a new batch of silver nitrate. Don't forget to use distilled water; that part is important.

I have not noticed any problems with the sodium thiosulfate going bad; I'm still using the batch I originally bout over 2 years ago with no problems.

Also, different plants respond differently to STS; some need to be hit harder than others. I would venture to say that 1:9 is the weakest you should go. Look for a burning of the leaves; if you see it you need to lighten up a bit next time.

A second spraying is absolutely critical to success; I actually hit my F>M plants every week for 4 weeks, at which time they are usually ready to start dropping pollen. An exception would be any plant where you see some burning of the leaves.

Another important aspect is to give your F>M all of the nutrients that other plants get during flowering. Don't skimp on the bloom ferts. Liquid Karma seems to help, too.

Finally, temperatures in the mid-80s seem to be optimum for final maturation of the male blooms. Some strains will stall at the end of the process and fail to finish; the flowers never finish maturing. These strains may need to be hit a bit harder with the STS, or may need more warmth to complete their mission.

I have tried many different colloidal silver approaches, using commercially available versions and also making my own using silver ingots at various DC voltages. I have never had any luck with it. Getting a consistent ppm of cs can be tricky; I never saw the point, as silver nitrate is cheap as hell and easy to use. And safe.

CM

(((NOT CM)))

Quote:
PREPARATION OF SILVER THIOSULFATE (STS) SOLUTION
Silver Thiosulfate (STS) is commonly used to block the action of ethylene in plant cell cultures. Ethylene is a hormone that is present in the gaseous state. Ethylene increases during senescence and ripening, and has been shown to increase in plant cell cultures due to wounding or the presence of auxins. Silver nitrate may be used alone to block the action of ethylene but it is not transported as well as STS thus is seldom used alone.
Prepare a 0.1 M Sodium Thiosulfate (STS) stock solution by dissolving 1.58 g of Sodium Thiosulfate (Product No. S 620) into 100 ml of water. Prepare a 0.1 M Silver Nitrate stock solution by dissolving 1.7 g of Silver Nitrate (Product No. S 169) into 100 ml of water. Store the stock solution in the dark until needed to prepare the STS.
The STS solution is prepared with a molar ratio between silver and thiosulfate of 1:4, respectively. Nearly all of the silver present in the solution is in the form of [Ag (S2O3)2]3-, the active complex for ethylene effect inhibition.
Prepare a 0.02 M STS by slowly pouring 20 ml of 0.1 M silver nitrate stock solution into 80 ml of 0.1 M sodium thiosulfate stock solution. The STS can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a month. However, preparation of the STS just prior to use is recommended.
copied from a site that copied it from Sigma-Aldrich
if sodium thiosulfate pentahydrate is used, would it really matter? it shouldnt, if one were to account for the water of hydration...its getting dissolved in distilled water anyways, right?
XXX
Whether it's hydrate won't matter, as long as you have the molar ratio for the complex of the ions right. If the thiosulfate is anhydrous, you use what is specified. If it is hydrate, you'll have to use more. Check stoichiometry for more info.
XXX
info linked by Reibsi:

Sodium Thiosulfate Pentahydrate (typically sold on ebay) is weaker than Sodium Thiosulfate Anhydrous.
It will still work but you need to adjust the amount. The conversion formula is this : multiply the amount by 1.56 to correct it to anhydrous strength. The amount called for above is 2.5 grams. So to convert the pentahydrate to anhydrous strength we take the 2.5 grams (required) x 1.56 which equals 3.9 grams (which is a 64 percent difference in strength) ....ah...ha.....that's a significant difference isn't it. Using Part B at 64 percent weaker strength is most likely the reason for the very slow / weak reversals. So if you're using the pentahydrate, use 3.9 grams and I bet you will see a big difference.

STS strength ratios and "safety issues"

Hey all -

Just another quick note. Some plants are more stubborn than others to treatment at the 1:9 spray ratio. Don't be afraid to ramp up the concentration if you don't see a slight effect on the leaves. The sweet spot seems to be just about when the leaves show some minor signs of stress, but not too much. And yes: hit your target plant twice or even 3 times.

1:5 is about right for any silver nitrate crystals that has been in your fridge for 6 months or so. After a year of storage the activity in the silver nitrate is so low that you should re-order.

As for sn being "regulated"... it sort of is, but there are definitely sources on the internet that offer it in 10 gram quantities, and without scrutiny from authorities. Likewise, sodium thiosulfate is widely available online.

But there is a caveat: do not order silver nitrate AND sodium thiosulfate from the same supplier: the DEA is still watching people that do this. Unfortunately my original publishing of my STS technique on the old Cannabis World (same as it is seen here, almost verbatim) had a direct link to Photographer's Formulary, and the end result was the DEA's full attention. Sorry about that.

I'll chime in once again about the "safety factors" debate regarding silver nitrate, sodium thiosulfate, and the resulting STS. The people who are harping about the "dangers" are very likely the same people who used to sell EXE, that overpriced commercial version of STS.

Use common sense and read the MSDS and you will see that it is fairly silly to worry about using it.

STS (including it's individual component ingredients) is very safe to mix and work with. As long as you follow some simple guidelines, you'll be fine.

Silver nitrate should not be breathed as it is caustic. It is really no more dangerous than any chemical fertilizers in this regard. Just use a dust mask if you are concerned. If you are concerned enough to wear a mask for silver nitrate, definitely wear one while mixing fertilizers, as this is far more caustic.

Anyone and everyone who has specific questions, feel free to PM me.

Rez, any plans to release some femmed versions of your creations? I'd love to indulge in more of your genepool. Great stuff.

CM

Last edited:
I guess; both methods seem safe enough. (and easy) It seems the STS is more reliable so I chose to try that.

I haven't seen anyone talking about this? I would think it would be commonly used since it is so easy.

I'd like to hear tales from those who have done this.

Last edited:
Here`s a copy and paste from this thread... https://www.thecannacabana.com/forums/showthread.php?227-STS-Recipe/page4 ...post 65 ..., Hello all.... I used to do photography for a hobby many moons ago. I mixed my own chemicals for processing photos. I think the reason allot of you guys are having problems with slow / semi-ineffective STS mixes - is because - the sodium thiosulfate being sold on Ebay is pentahydrate (NOT anhydrous). Sodium Thiosulfate Pentahydrate is weaker than Sodium Thiosulfate Anhydrous.
It will still work but you need to adjust the amount. The conversion formula is this : multiply the amount by 1.56 to correct it to anhydrous strength. The amount called for above is 2.5 grams. So to convert the pentahydrate to anhydrous strength we take the 2.5 grams (required) x 1.56 which equals 3.9 grams (which is a 64 percent difference in strength) ....ah...ha.....that's a significant difference isn't it. Using Part B at 64 percent weaker strength is most likely the reason for the very slow / weak reversals. So if you're using the pentahydrate, use 3.9 grams and I bet you will see a big difference.Hello all.... I used to do photography for a hobby many moons ago. I mixed my own chemicals for processing photos. I think the reason allot of you guys are having problems with slow / semi-ineffective STS mixes - is because - the sodium thiosulfate being sold on Ebay is pentahydrate (NOT anhydrous). Sodium Thiosulfate Pentahydrate is weaker than Sodium Thiosulfate Anhydrous.
It will still work but you need to adjust the amount. The conversion formula is this : multiply the amount by 1.56 to correct it to anhydrous strength. The amount called for above is 2.5 grams. So to convert the pentahydrate to anhydrous strength we take the 2.5 grams (required) x 1.56 which equals 3.9 grams (which is a 64 percent difference in strength) ....ah...ha.....that's a significant difference isn't it. Using Part B at 64 percent weaker strength is most likely the reason for the very slow / weak reversals. So if you're using the pentahydrate, use 3.9 grams and I bet you will see a big difference.

This is the exact formula that sing to reverse the AA and it`s worked flawlessly...2 applications should be enough...take care n stay safe.

CountryMon recipe works as described, but won’t turn all strains. Mix the ratio 1:1 and spray 1x/week, or until male flowers form...and most strains will drop lots of pollen.

I’m with nanny, CS, works just fine, you can easily brew your own.

If you or nanny would kindly elaborate on your concerns, I am listening and open minded.

Until a few days ago, I never realized how easy it was to make a female clone produce male pollen!

Both the CS and STS method seem simple enough; I am reading and hopefully learning. :)

Easy to find CS at health food stores, if you don't want to brew your own, and when you get it at the store, you know how strong it is. My first experience with it, was an accident, many years ago. I was using it as a preventative for mold/fungal/whatnots and things just went bonkers. Thought that i'd mislabeled everything. Even some of the males turned. It was a 'Duh, maybe this works like STS' moment.

I've no problem with handling CS without gloves. I used it to clean around the eyes of my white show cats, is why i had it on hand.

Easy to find CS at health food stores, if you don't want to brew your own, and when you get it at the store, you know how strong it is. My first experience with it, was an accident, many years ago. I was using it as a preventative for mold/fungal/whatnots and things just went bonkers. Thought that i'd mislabeled everything. Even some of the males turned. It was a 'Duh, maybe this works like STS' moment.

I've no problem with handling CS without gloves. I used it to clean around the eyes of my white show cats, is why i had it on hand.

I drank quarts of it when I went through chemo, along with everything else I could make, tinctures, capsules and baked goods, I was baked for 10 months.

If you or nanny would kindly elaborate on your concerns, I am listening and open minded.

Until a few days ago, I never realized how easy it was to make a female clone produce male pollen!

Both the CS and STS method seem simple enough; I am reading and hopefully learning. :)

No concerns here, whatever rocks your boat, just another option we’re ya don’t need a chemical suit to use it, lol.

So they sell stuff ready to use? Have a link/brand you have had luck with?

So,for those of you experienced in such things,would following the videos result in a usable solution?

I can't claim experience, but I have read a lot. lol

I believe you should win an award if you watched that whole video!

(He does essentially what is described in the first post of this thread.) :)

I watched the first one.Haven't viewed the last one....yet.I might want to brew some coffee first.:D As long as that process would yield workable solution,then I might could watch the thing again. :D

Seems like most DIY videos are easily twice as long as really necessary. :(

:puffpuffpass:

When i was using it for reversing, it was years ago and i used home made. But, i was getting eyes checked in 'the bigger big city' and there was a chiropractor/acupuncture shop right next door to the eye doc and i had popped in to see if they took drop ins, and lo, there on the shelf of vitamins and snake oils, was a bottle of CS. After moving, i couldn't find the tens unit, so i just bought a bottle. Have not used it. It is labelled as way stronger, so i would have to water it down, if i were to use it. So, i cannot recommend what i have not used. sorry.

I think a 2 minute youtube could cover it. (Well, the main procedure but not all the juicy
tips you get from reading the OP! lol)

Nothing special needed for equipment.

THIS STUFF STAINS LIKE CRAZY! spray outside or at least over cardboard or something

note: H2O is distilled-important
Mix Part B - 4.1g sodium thiosulfide pentahydrate and 250ml H2O, mix thoroughly
(I poured the B solution into the 1000ml
measure to save on dishes.) :)

1 Part B small.jpg

Mix Part A 0.7g silver nitrate and 250ml H2O, mix thoroughly 2 Part A small.jpg

Mix A slowly into B, mixing thoroughly
(Note that I am mixing part A and B into 250ml solutions then
adding H2O to get to 1000ml at the combine stage. I only did this because I had no 500 ml measure.)
3 Parts Combined small.jpg

Dilute to make a usable spray. For example, mix 100ml of the STS mix with 900ml H2O to get 1000ml of the spray.
The sprayer is wrapped in duct tape and the stock solution will be wrapped in tinfoil to keep out light. Both will be refrigerated.)
4 Dilute small.jpg

Spray those plants!
5 Plants small.jpg

Final Note: I have since read that if kept separate, parts A and B have a very long shelf life when refrigerated in the dark. So only mix the final spray solution as needed.

Last edited:
Back