Bud storage

Wesos

Is there a big difference in storing buds in glass verses plastic jars?

Also, does Walmart have glass jars?

Thank you....

personally i would go with glass canning jars, all different sizes. i put together a low-brow jar sealer with a brake bleeder, some tubing and a jar sealer attachment. works great. walmart has everything. i order mine online :dancer:

Reactions: pi
wesos, look for the ball mason jars...I use the half gallon size and they cure my herb excellently...

Walmart has ball mason jars cheap, but they don't have the half gallon size. Make sure to get the wide mouth! Ball does make a gallon container but it has a really lame seal on the top, not good for staying air tight. You can find 1 gallon glass jars online, good for 8+ zips. Id love a 5 gallon glass jar but the only ones I can find have a super small mouth like for a water cooler. I did find some food grade air tight plastic containers that would be good for several pounds but I did not pull the trigger on those.

outwest

Wide mouth Mason jars is all I use. I never vacuum seal them either. I tend to cure longer than most peeps, and pop the lids a couple of times a month.

^^^ right on DMan! 1/2 gal or other sized Ball (Mason) jars. Burp 'em once in a bit.

Like to store in a fridge. For the active herb in play, use a smaller jar. The 1/2 pint jars are nice. Ball (Mason) doesn't have one, but you can find a 1/2 pint WIDE MOUTH jar from "Kerr" (actually the same company as Ball/Mason). They distribute mostly in the pacific NW, but can be found when searching. They are also perfect for fruiting fungi on a small scale...

Funny I prefer regular mouth, but none of mine are over a quart size.

Forgot to suggest the c-vault, I love mine. Works with boveda humidity packs. Google is your salvation.

Gamma buckets and Boveda packs

Attachments

• rps20151205_060451_421.jpg
    rps20151205_060451_421.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
The new throwback jars they have at the stores are tinted for light protection and heres an easy homemade check valve for vac sealing.

picture.php

1.9 L canning jars, burped every day or so for 2 months. I'm also trying out a rectangular 10L stainless steel, airtight box with 49% Boveda packs.

Plastic generates static electricity which attracts trichs. Remember those rolled up bags u used to carry? By the time u went from a zip to a qrtr the sides of the bag look cloudy. That's trichs the bag has stolen.

Wouldn't want to iso wash the plastic in an attempt to recover the trichs but w the glass jars a quick ISO wash can go from jar to jar collecting trichs and leaving behind nice clean jars.

YJ

well i HAD 32 pint sized bell jars almost filled before i was busted. i hope the cops choked on em.

these days i have 2 with maybe a 1/4 z in the bottom. i will be flipping my first 600 watt grow in almost 4 years in a couple of weeks. hope i can make do with what smoke i have until i harvest.

i have been thinking of putting the jars in the fridge to help things. is that a go or a no go?

i have an older seal a meal. can a ball jar attachement be purchased online????

what do the boveda packs do? do they help keep both moisture and potency intact?????

i also googled tinted bell jars and they have both green and purple available. i also noticed that you can diy your own tinting. is there a perferabe color for mj storage? if im going to go whole hog i may as well go whole hog with mj storage eh?

Last edited:
Washing jars w Iso is as easy as it sounds. Pour some in and swish it around for 30 seconds or so then pour it in the next jar and so on. When ya run out of jars ya pour it in a pyrex dish and treat it the same as any QWISO. IOW evap the iso and collect the goo.

YJ

i have been thinking of putting the jars in the fridge to help things. is that a go or a no go?i have an older seal a meal. can a ball jar attachement be purchased online???? what do the boveda packs do? do they help keep both moisture and potency intact????? is there a perferabe color for mj storage? if im going to go whole hog i may as well go whole hog with mj storage eh?

i would opt for the freezer, but don't jostle the containers too much since the trichs are brittle when frozen.

yep, i bought my attachment on amazon. but it didn't work with my older seal a meal. so i attached a brake bleeder to the attachment, pump it about a dozen times and get 20psi, so strong that you literally need to pry off the lid.

personally i dont mess with color of glass, i keep whatever jars i have in the dark.

for larger quantities i love my c-vault with bovedas (they are humidity packs that strive to keep the humidity at the proper amount during storage/curing. they need to be replaced now and then and are available online or at any grow store)

2015-12-07 13.54.17.jpg

^^^ nice post Funkynugz, and good point about the frozen trichs. Have the same vacuum attachment for lids, with same hand pump. Use it on occassion when sealing grains or other bulk items long-term.

Kerr Glass was bought out by Ball glass in 1992.
Ball was bought out by Saint-Gobain Containers , now Verallia , now ARDAGH Group.
Jarden Home Brands sells both Kerr and Ball embossed glass.
Jarden is owned by ARDAGH Group.

Interesting BigS, no "little guys" left these days, are there? Big pressure on the craft breweries these days w/ the 16oz can - only a few mfg of those, and with the sucess of that size, the big boys are stepping in and pulling away production from the crafter brewers. The 32oz amber glass growler is gaining in popularity... The sooner we stop the single-use disposable mentality the better, IMHO. Recycling is a bad plan B.

Ahh, the Gamma lids - sweet. Also use those for storage. Plus have a few for accumulating compost in the winter, though a 5 gal bucket fills up right quick. Going to figure that out this season and really get the worms rocking.

BTW, one of the best solutions I've found for short-term storage of compost in the kitchen are the ole' 2-liter tupperware jugs, with the little button you press in the center of the lid to loosen it up and open it. Have 4 of them picked up at thrift stores for a couple bucks each. Blows away the fancy stainless compost bucket with carbon pad in the lid for odor. If you develop a smell, a little lacto bacilli serum makes 'em smell quite fresh.

airedog - what is the 10L stainless square container you're trying - any source info you can share. Use the plastic lock n lock for cubing out the fridge / freezer, but stainless would be much preferred (when I can afford it!).

Hadn't heard of the Boveda packs - wonder what the chemical is? Probably ok given it's used for cigars, but always good to know.

Traditionally, for cigars the medium was 50/50 propanolol and distilled water - and just add water again to recharge. Holds at 70%. The propanolol has a very low vapor pressure so doesn't evaporate. Can buy at the local pharmacy. A medium to hold this solution is typically the green floral foam (open reticulated cell structure for the pores) that holds a lot of liquid. Then the "gel" packs were popular. Wet (soaked) salt also has a certain humiditty percent it will hold.

Commercial pickle jars are a really convenient size too, imo. I get mine from a couple of delis near me. They are nice and big too.

Back