Best method I've used for sending clones

katsu

I tried a bunch of different methods, but the best of all the methods is to send a cutting, no added moisture, no air in the baggy. A clean cut with a sharp blade seems to help, as well. Old DVD cases make great protection.

Peace, KB

Reactions: Boo
Interesting....

I've always wrapped the freshly cut ends in damp paper towels, taped them to the side of a food saver bag, blew air into them then heat sealed them. Placed them into a priority USPS box with plenty of styro-peanuts and ship.

For rooted clones, same thing but the RW cubes get taped to the bag.

I always thought the added moisture helped for longer travel times.

Interesting....

I've always wrapped the freshly cut ends in damp paper towels, taped them to the side of a food saver bag, blew air into them then heat sealed them. Placed them into a priority USPS box with plenty of styro-peanuts and ship.

For rooted clones, same thing but the RW cubes get taped to the bag.

I always thought the added moisture helped for longer travel times.

Rooted clones are the hardest to send. Way more weight, bigger box, water, and stability issues.

In my experience, cuts can go close to a week in transport during the winter. They're small, light, flexible, easy to pack. Air and moisture just increase the speed they start to decompose. Imagine if you wanted to eat a piece of lettuce in a few days - you would want to dry it out as best you could and put it in a baggy with no air, right?

It's been a while since I sent any cuts, but they went all over including UK and Canada (ay, DMAN?)

Air and moisture just increase the speed they start to decompose

Ethylene is a plant hormone that affects ripening and rotting in plants. It is a particularly interesting plant hormone because it exists as a gas. No other plant hormone is gaseous! Ethylene can be produced in almost any part of a plant, and can diffuse through the plant’s tissue. The formation of ethylene requires oxygen, and the agricultural industry has used this tidbit of information to their advantage. If you control the partial pressure of oxygen and carbon dioxide in a truck carrying produce (specifically low O2 high CO2) you can prevent ethylene synthesis and thus slow the ripening process.

http://endowment.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/434DoleMAPfinal.pdf

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-14969/Plastic-Retail-Specialty-Bags/Wine-Skin?pricode=WZ749&gadtype=pla&id=S-14969&gclid=CKa7gd265c0CFRNZhgod82UAXQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

add co2 seal and send in protective cases , is good to send during cooler temps but i would avoid frigid weather and hot .. nothing worse then frozen or cooked cuts.

I hear ya Katsu.... I guess if it's not broke, don't fix it.

I don't mind paying for the extra weight of a few moist 1" RW cubes if it means I know that the receiver is getting a plant and not just a chance at a plant. In my packaging technique there is no stability problem.

Air and moisture just increase the speed they start to decompose. Imagine if you wanted to eat a piece of lettuce in a few days - you would want to dry it out as best you could and put it in a baggy with no air, right?

I think that's our difference. I prefer to send/receive rooted clones. The decomposing process happens far faster on cuts than it does on a living/thriving plant.

In your lettuce analogy, you're talking about just a piece of lettuce. Which if left in a moist and humid enclosure would surely spoil quickly, but a rooted lettuce plant wouldn't.

The last strain I asked for was Cherry Slyder. I was graciously gifted her in cut form from a fellow member. I wasn't expecting her that way and wasn't setup to root anything. I put the cuts in the fridge as instructed and 36 later hours placed a couple in an aerocloner and a couple in RW. None survived. That experience just reinforced my thoughts of only sending rooted clones. It's always worked for me, sending or receiving, where as fresh cuts have never.

But like I said, in my case and yours, if it's not broke, don't fix it.
As with anything in our hobby, do what works best with your technique and have fun.

:smileyhug:

I'm about to send some clones within the next couple days. I'll post a pic of how they're packaged and I'll let ya know if they make it, alive. And the receiver can chime in if the clones don't arrive healthy.

On a side note, what are the advantages/disadvantages of sending cuts/clones?
I'll delete that question katsu if you'd prefer it in it's own thread. Just let me know.

peace brother

Re:

My method is similar to katsu' however, I do put a moist paper towel over the cut end and wrap a separate baggy taped tight so as no moisture gets to the leaves. I also blow air(breath) into the plastic bag containing the cuts so the leaves have co2 and seal the top of the bag, Have used DVD cases and also video cases to house cuts then of course into a priority box. Makes it to most places in three or less days. Many old cuts don't do well with to much humidity so the dryer the leaves the better. Had cuts make it to OZ from the states this way back in the day over a ten day trip! Was amazed for sure.
-ct-

I supposed if you package them well, it's great. Part of the reason I like the cuts is they're very discreet, and can be flat packed. Very low key. Another plus is that it's very easy.

I always started the rooting process as soon as I received the cuts. I would recut the stem just above the old cut so it was fresh, put a little rooting hormone on it, put it in a moist plug, and cover.

I always started the rooting process as soon as I received the cuts. I would recut the stem just above the old cut so it was fresh, put a little rooting hormone on it, put it in a moist plug, and cover.

I'll have to that the next time. Thanks for the info.

have you guys seen the clone shippers with the built in LED's?

CLONESHIP-600x600.jpg

just sent some cuts to someone and they arrived, looking like shit. The heat killed um in 45 hours. Gonna try sending rooted cuts in a few weeks, hopefully they can stand the heat better.

I def agree with katsu on why sending cuts vs clones is better, mostly the discrete factor.

Clips, great post on CO2, i use bottled so could definitely bleed some into the bag before its get vac sealed.

if anybody has any great teks on sending rooted clones during hotter months please post it up. That means you Kisanth ;) .

And that clone shipper looks like bullshit on a stick, have you ever tried it east coast?

I used to send rooted clones. But securing the root ball for rough handling always seemed sketch, while cuttings, if properly packed, can drop off the back of the proverbial truck and not suffer any damage. And, for sure, it's easier to "clip and ship" than it is to pack a rooted clone.

never had anything alive sent to me in the mail, but i too think that two red cups cups (or smaller) taped together would work, just need to make the gasket he showed. with that said i think the inventor is going to be rich one day when clones can be shipped across state lines legally. this summer's extreme heat must be a bitch on them though :crazy:

never had anything alive sent to me in the mail, but i too think that two red cups cups (or smaller) taped together would work, just need to make the gasket he showed. with that said i think the inventor is going to be rich one day when clones can be shipped across state lines legally. this summer's extreme heat must be a bitch on them though :crazy:

Technically, I would think if you're only sending cuts, you are NOT sending anything alive :-)

I tried a bunch of different methods, but the best of all the methods is to send a cutting, no added moisture, no air in the baggy. A clean cut with a sharp blade seems to help, as well. Old DVD cases make great protection.

Peace, KB

Days how I got my Bubba
:puffpuffpass:

I think the first thing that is very important is that the person taking cuttings to send have to treat them just like they would be if the cuttings are as important to themselves as it is more than likely to the receiver. Which I would like to think is the case for the most part.

Second I think that it is important to make sure that if you are sending cuttings that have not been rooted which has always been the way I have received them and do not mind but like Katsu said and not to ever sound ungrateful to anyone in the past that has sent me cuts but it is a "chance" to grow that strain if you can get them to root. So I think the second most important thing is that when the cuttings are taken that the stems should be left in water for a little longer than normal to make sure that they have for certain absorbed and even up taken water rather than air.

And then I do not have any preferred method wet or dry with ends wrapped etc. But I have had a few of these aqua pods in the past and if you get the good ones they will not leak and if they do it is very little.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fimages-na.ssl-images-amazon.com%2Fimages%2FI%2F312F-kbuTmL.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FFloral-Flower-Arrangements-Royal-Imports%2Fdp%2FB01FIFCH8O&docid=6PLVXkudDyd4FM&tbnid=uiHwsfeBBdG5wM%3A&w=500&h=397&itg=1&safe=off&bih=975&biw=1920&ved=0ahUKEwi1seicv7XOAhWE7yYKHZt9BYoQMwhBKBkwGQ&iact=mrc&uact=8

I think they should always be vacuumed sealed as well. Not just because of the security and smell but I do think that removing most of the air and have always thought about if anything adding some extra CO2 into the back somehow but this would only work if you did not have to worry about the smell and security.

One of the last times I received cuts and still to this day I am so very grateful. From one member here I was sent 10 cuts of The White, Agent Orange, Ryhmes with Orange, Pot of Gold (I think) and maybe a different Pheno of Pre 98 Bubba than what I had but I cannot be certain but I know 10 of each up to the Bubba for sure.

When I got them they looked very healthy and fresh in the vacuum sealed packages and like Katsu I like to go straight to work with them no fridge time. Couldn't say which was is better but I have always done what works for me so label whatever I am putting them in which back then was a vermiculite and coco mix and I always use dirt plugs.

I remember even going and buying the big dollar cloning gel where before a 5 dollar plastic jar of hormone from Menards always got cuts to root within 10 days or so occasionally longer but they rooted.

Take them out of bag make a clean new cut and the stems into water like I would if freshly taking them. When I feel had enough time in water or while in water I sometimes trim a couple sets of leaves so the unrooted cutting doesn't have to manage as much foliage, dip in gel and into plug and then into cutting tray with heat mat

Well the shitty thing is all those cuttings that look so healthy and fresh as soon as I made a new cut and scarfed the end of the hull and put in water they went limper that Limp Biscuit and only cuttings I could get to root were a couple maybe only 1 Agent Orange so that sucked bad.

Not long after that I got sent McFly and Bubba Pre 98 for sure and the Bubba rooted but the McFly never had a chance. But these guys know who they are and the last thing I want to sound is ungrateful or complaining because I am certain it was user error. I don't know why they went immediately limp but they did just that quick. Like taking a helium balloon from inside warm to outside they will shrink right up as the cold draws the gas out of them.

I think a big mistake is anxiousness as well checking every day to see if they have rooted. We all probably could be guilty of it at some point in our years. Going forward I will spray the inside of the domes put the tray on the heat mat and leave them covered for at least 10 days before I try to take a peak.

But these Aqua pods are pretty cool. I am sure you all have seen these before?

Back