400 watt cylinder/vertical scrog unit

realhigh

Okay I posted pictures and explanation of the DWC unit up in Hydro forum.
Here I will post pictures of the plants growth and how it all looked for me.
10 gallon res. that is DWC with a water pump that supplied a spinner that watered net pots. I used clay balls, hydrotron is what they call them I think ?
3 plants trainned up and around the circumference of this 2" nylon poultry fencing. It is 2 feet high and almost 6 feet long when un wrapped. So that is 12 square feet of scrog grown with a 400 watt hps bulb.
Hope I get these pictures up in order. This was my first attemp with the unit in my walk in closet.
Okay I stared with female clones of Willy D, if my mind reminds me correctly. First 3 pics show them getting started. Now I bent the young plant almost 90 degrees out of planter to get them to be on the outsde of the screen. As they grew up I would pull out the branchs and relocate them around the netting so that I could get the plants to cover the are, remember keeping them on the outside.
Being in the closet I did not have the curtain attached this first run as I had to prove it would work first. 4th pic is showing where I took the exhaust tube. 5th and 6th pic's are of growth and 7th pic shows much progress.

Attachments

• JULY1A.JPG
    JULY1A.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 8
  • JULY20.JPG
    JULY20.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 11
  • JULY12D.JPG
    JULY12D.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 7
  • JULY12B.JPG
    JULY12B.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 11
  • JULY12A.JPG
    JULY12A.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 11
  • JULY12.JPG
    JULY12.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 10
  • JULY1B.JPG
    JULY1B.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 10
  • JULY1AA.JPG
    JULY1AA.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
more of this 1st attempt with cylinder grow

Now a few more pics of how all is doing wit it. These are taken in August and the first set where above where taken in July.
You can see the growth progress and it was daily trainning keeping all directed to where you wanted it to go.
I believe I use the 3part GH nute's and possibly even Lucas formula with this grow.
I would think I had went 12/12 with it by the time of the last picture here. I just can not remember that far back with out my note's.

Attachments

• AUGUST8.JPG
    AUGUST8.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 9
  • AUG2I.JPG
    AUG2I.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 7
  • AUG2H.JPG
    AUG2H.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 4
  • AUG2G.JPG
    AUG2G.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 4
  • AUG2F.JPG
    AUG2F.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 5
  • AUG2E.JPG
    AUG2E.JPG
    169 KB · Views: 5
  • AUG2C.JPG
    AUG2C.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 5
  • AUG2B.JPG
    AUG2B.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 6
  • AUG2A.jpg
    AUG2A.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 5
  • AUG2.jpg
    AUG2.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 7
Last bit of pictures

Let me get these loaded up.
Okay these are dated August 8th, so I am sure I had already went 12/12 with this run. The 2nd picture shows how the plant is seeking the light and I have to be honest and say it was a bit overgrown, as you can only see inchs free space around the lamp.
Now my memory hits me better, they climb up over the very top ring and some started growing down into the cylinder trying to get more light. I do not recall a harvest picture, but I am sure I took one, but as all can imagine at a point we got leaf burn and probably some bud got it also. I also think this was a time I learned about spider mites as I had excluded the thrips in previous grows. Either way I was not super proud of the outcome pics and probably never put them online. It would have been over at CW or maybe OG. To many years have passed.
Cool thing is I have all the componets still, except lamp source, so I can get this going again and improve my scrog skills and get nice productive outcome.

Attachments

• AUGUST8A.JPG
    AUGUST8A.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 8
  • AUGUST8B.JPG
    AUGUST8B.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 10
  • AUGUST8C.JPG
    AUGUST8C.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 7
  • AUGUST8D.JPG
    AUGUST8D.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
rev.clone :ty:
stryder, this was years ago and this attempt I can not remember exactly how much it yielded. The second attempt was set up better and I did get just under 1lb of trimmed jarred buds from it. I was just shittin bricks and it is why I held onto the system.

rev.clone :ty:
stryder, this was years ago and this attempt I can not remember exactly how much it yielded. The second attempt was set up better and I did get just under 1lb of trimmed jarred buds from it. I was just shittin bricks and it is why I held onto the system.

1lb off a 400 watt light? deammn
how long was the grow cycle? ie how long to train em into the net?

more impressive than what i was pulling from my small grow...my closet grow w/ a 400 was a little mini perpetual flowering chamber w/ 16-20 plants at different stages... harvesting 4 or 5 plants at a time, i never took more than a couple ounces at a time.... but that was every week and a half or so

I am not pulling your leg, it was just shy of 16 oz all trimmed bud from my second attempt. Understand that is 12 sq. ft of screen when unwrapped from the rack.

How long humm, I would say I spent at least 30 min. a day average for 30 days. Let all just get growing the first 15 days. Than I flipped when the plants where half way up the vertical screen planning that the floral stretch would fill in the upper distance. After all got in position and flowering maybe 15min average as you looked for extra little suckers to remove. It was my best ever in both idea's and production.
Also if you put the Res. on a lazy susan than it would spin around and a person in a wheel chair could manage this cylinder grow. It took up a total 3 sq ft floor space.

awesome design!!:adore: I drew up a protoype very similar to yours but never needed to build it. I was planning on using a thermoelectric cooler to keep the res stable since it would have been sitting in a cabinet, put on a luzay susan (would only be able to spin the thing about 130˚ since some cords would get in the way) with automatic topoff. what temps are you running in the res, ambient, and at the canopy?

also i was gonna do 1 250w cmh and 1 150w hps for a 400w total. Have you ever use multiple lower wattage bulbs or always stuck to the 400?

i hope you continue to update and show details, this really is well though out and it shows in the yield, you should throw up some dried nug shots too.

also, nice leather pants :taunt:

Hello all, please understand this was built in 2001 and first run was late in 2001/early 2002. The second run I did was in Sept. of 2002 in a friends barn and that is when I did a bit better with it.
This is why it is hard for me to find the harvest pictures and what not. But since than I learned alot and would trim off and prune up each plant alot more and have fewer buds, but muh larger ones. Kinda like 6" to 18" cola's is what my mind thinks about. Yes it would take some work, but I know exactly what strains that would provide such cola's in this system.
Also, Yes, the rotation radius was limited because of cords, so I spun it to the left 180 degrees and than to the right 180 degrees. I actually set in a chair doing it to make sure it was something that a person in a wheel chair could do. I wanted to make a growing system that they could use. " FryGuy " was my inspiration for the unit.

awesome design!!:adore: I drew up a protoype very similar to yours but never needed to build it. I was planning on using a thermoelectric cooler to keep the res stable since it would have been sitting in a cabinet, put on a luzay susan (would only be able to spin the thing about 130˚ since some cords would get in the way) with automatic topoff. what temps are you running in the res, ambient, and at the canopy?

also i was gonna do 1 250w cmh and 1 150w hps for a 400w total. Have you ever use multiple lower wattage bulbs or always stuck to the 400?

i hope you continue to update and show details, this really is well though out and it shows in the yield, you should throw up some dried nug shots too.

also, nice leather pants :taunt:

I kept the res. at 68 to 70 degrees. I used these 1 liter water bottles that I filled and froze. They where my exchangable ice cubes and I used 2 to 3 at a time. I ran my ligts at night when I had cooler air temps to help keep the heat down.
No, I have never used multiple lights like that, well I have in vegy stage. Smaller 50 watt hps for early growth, than a 150 for teenager size. I than tried using T5 lamp to raise them up and used a 400 watt to do heavy vegy growth and used two 600 watt lamps for flowering them.
Progressive lighting also lead to progressive growth and nice harvests, at least I thought so.

I am not pulling your leg, it was just shy of 16 oz all trimmed bud from my second attempt. Understand that is 12 sq. ft of screen when unwrapped from the rack.

How long humm, I would say I spent at least 30 min. a day average for 30 days. Let all just get growing the first 15 days. Than I flipped when the plants where half way up the vertical screen planning that the floral stretch would fill in the upper distance. After all got in position and flowering maybe 15min average as you looked for extra little suckers to remove. It was my best ever in both idea's and production.
Also if you put the Res. on a lazy susan than it would spin around and a person in a wheel chair could manage this cylinder grow. It took up a total 3 sq ft floor space.

i don't think i asked the right question i wanted, but i think you answered it... so you vegged for a month before flipping? so 3 month or so total grow time?

also, i'm looking at this on my phone, is that a cool tube around yer bulb? if so, DIY or store bought?

i don't think i asked the right question i wanted, but i think you answered it... so you vegged for a month before flipping? so 3 month or so total grow time?

also, i'm looking at this on my phone, is that a cool tube around yer bulb? if so, DIY or store bought?

Yes I would say 3 to 4 months total grow time. Remember I took cut's and rooted them so I was using 3 female plants.
Th cool tube was bought online. Sceintific supply store found online. The tube was pyrex of a stock size they cut to my desired length. Believe I paid 45.00 plus shipping and handling for it.

Your grow is totally inspiring RH!

Thanks for sharing bro, I really do appreciate your time and effort.
I'm planing on a very similar grow in the near future and will be asking some questions of ya. ;) if you don't mind. :d1:

Ya I guess I am late to the thread here, but I am Flabbergasted by those numbers RH. I really gotta get out of soil! My totals are shameful in comparison. Do you got any other pics of this closer to harvest? If not, do you mind if I start pickin' your brain on DWC via PM?

madamimadam, I had a few pic's of the screen unrolled and hanging from the shower curtain rod. 2' wide by 6' long of solid bud on one side and alot of leaf growth on the back side. I have been packing all our stuff so we can move and my daughter packed all my disc's last year. I know I saved them on a computer or disc, but finding them all has been impossible it seems. I wish overgrow or cannabis world where still up as I did do long threads of it on those sites. I had some heat burnage of leaf or mites the first time, but the second run I did in a friends barn that was much cooler than my closet and that is when I hit 1.15 grams per watt for a total of 460 grams of trimmed budage.
I believe I used GH nutrients at the time, 2nd run I did the Lucas formula.

Very nice work. Thanks for the pics. I have never done SOG or SCROG, to lazy.

Marmaduke, I just did a veg to flower run using 8 6500k tubes from WalMart & a 400 Ceramic MH a really great friend sent me.

In veg I left the tubes on for 18hr & the 400 CMH for 8 hr in the middle. For flower I cut the tubes to 12 hrs, left the CMH on in the middle of the cycle at 8hrs.

I didn't get a huge harvest, but my Nature Made beans gave me some 4 hit limit smoke. I call the new strain Gringa Verde. I am going to try to replicate the strain.
So I would say combo lighting works. I would rather have been able to afford to run the 400 by itself the whole grow, oh well...at least I saved some elec $$.

A coupla plants I put OD to finish. They have some nicer colas.

Great thread!! Thanks again!

ZZ

Last edited:
Back