Whatcha’ know bout Molokai Frost?

GurtBySeeds

Greeting cabanians!

Wish to enquire about the old island variety Molokai Frost, any known lineage? My good mate LocalBirdSeed (🇦🇺) is working with some from Good Gear Seeds & had previously grown a few hybrids from Xochi/Matt. Rest in peace.

I tried some of the Molokai frost x tk and the pheno I had smelt of rotten tropical fruit and slightly ‘skunky’ but Dutch Skunky like a cheese. Phenomenal flower.

I was recently gifted a couple of phenos from GoodGears work to smoke from LocalBS and one pheno is very reminiscent of some good herb I scored in Amsterdam (from aroma).

It seems like it’s an amazing parent, as crossed to Mullum madness I have also seen some phenomena grows on IG that look modern. Super greasy spears.

Looking at the old catalog pics I can see a slight resemblance to the old super skunk pic from 90’ TBS catalog.

Does anyone remember when this variety first was seen/grown/smoked? Thoughts on possible lineage?

Peace!

Attached is
1) Molokai frost from local bird seed via good gear seeds.
2) as above, closeup
3) Molokai/Mullum from Sensi_scientist
4) super skunk
5) Local Bird Seed packs - paying homage to Xochi/Matt.

Attachments

• IMG_4656.png
    IMG_4656.png
    8.9 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4657.png
    IMG_4657.png
    11 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4661.jpeg
    IMG_4661.jpeg
    603.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4660.png
    IMG_4660.png
    7.3 MB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20240322_063150132.jpeg
    PXL_20240322_063150132.jpeg
    854 KB · Views: 25
The original line was procured from Molokai and selected by @theflyinhawaiian on big island ... Many thousands of seeds of it, pure and hybridized were freely given out by the @theflyinhawaiian over the last 20 years. The original "momma frost" was a thin leaf cultivar with an extremely fresh hashy smell with a slight minty landrace kind of smell. Extrememly resionous and somewhat long flowering ~11 weeks. I always really enjoyed smoking it, especially the momma frost. Any molokai frost not from @theflyinhawaiian is likely a re-selected hybrid line reproduced by someone else. Momma frost was some pretty spectacularly resinous herb, IMO.

The original line was procured from Molokai and selected by @theflyinhawaiian on big island ... Many thousands of seeds of it, pure and hybridized were freely given out by the @theflyinhawaiian over the last 20 years. The original "momma frost" was a thin leaf cultivar with an extremely fresh hashy smell with a slight minty landrace kind of smell. Extrememly resionous and somewhat long flowering ~11 weeks. I always really enjoyed smoking it, especially the momma frost. Any molokai frost not from @theflyinhawaiian is likely a re-selected hybrid line reproduced by someone else. Momma frost was some pretty spectacularly resinous herb, IMO.
Awesome thanks fletch. What kind of plants does it cross well with in your opinion? Looking at my mates grow I can I only imagine it crossing well to some diesel types with the similar long running colas. Fkn bubblegum too, be impervious to mold lol.

Peace cheers for weighing in.

Peter brought that line over to Hilo from Molokai and that is when @theflyinghawaiian started working with it. For me it throws mostly menthol phenos but it has bubblegum and other flavors as well. It is slightly unstable and she likes to flip her leaves. You don't wanna grow her inside, but outdoors she produces strong smoke.

I bred with her some, worked her into the SCMK cut that Flying used to also hold. Nice authentic old line from the general.

@ThaDocta you spoke with Flying recently? He used to always come up and grade my harvests but haven't seen him much since he got married and had another kid. I should go drive by his house and pop in.

Peter brought that line over to Hilo from Molokai and that is when @theflyinghawaiian started working with it. For me it throws mostly menthol phenos but it has bubblegum and other flavors as well. It is slightly unstable and she likes to flip her leaves. You don't wanna grow her inside, but outdoors she produces strong smoke.

I bred with her some, worked her into the SCMK cut that Flying used to also hold. Nice authentic old line from the general.

@ThaDocta you spoke with Flying recently? He used to always come up and grade my harvests but haven't seen him much since he got married and had another kid. I should go drive by his house and pop in.
hell ya i still have some that you gave me from Flyin.

what was the Molokai Pink Diesel again? did it contain Molokai Frost or just a cross from the namesake island? i forget!

yep, he's still around. give him a buzz

I grew MF a few times & even tried the "mainline" technique

I always got really beautiful bushes that grew well in full-sun.

I'm on Oahu & I grew MF in Eastside Kailua, Westside Waianae, and Central Mililani.

I never had mold or pest issues

I first got the Molokai frost years ago when the flynhawaiian first let it out loved it then and had it for some years up until 2006. My ex clients still ask about it. I always liked the thin leaved viney phenos. Lots of flavors but they all also kinda all taste the same. After I got out of prison in 2013 I was sent some frost by theflyinhawaiian (always thankful) at the time I couldn’t grow them out so I sent them back to Hawaii to dirty boy for reproduction. He basically did an open pollination on the seed he got from me. Multiple males and females. We had talked at the time of restarting my old seed company Goodgear (started way back 2003 or so and sold on cbay) the flyinhawaiian gave us permission to offer the Molokai frost to the public for sale(actually we are the ONLY seed company he gave permission too).There were others that were selling it but never asked permission or were given the go ahead to sell them commercially.. flyinhawaiin have us his blessing to work with them and sell them. We have always given Credit where credit is due. We ask before we use others genetics in crosses or when making more pure seed. Lots of shady fucks on the internet and in the game. We’ve always tried our best to be on the up and up.
anyway. the frost is Real deal Hawaiian herb. my guess is it has some south East Asian in its background. I can taste Thai in some of the phenos. Some have a sulfur type smell to them maybe a little funky cat piss. Def doable indoors or out you just have to mimic the natural Light cycle in Hawaii. Flower them on 11 hours on and mid flower drop it to 10 hours of light. Most will come in around 9 to 10 weeks under this schedule. It’s a gem, old school cannabis. Was fairly rare but there are more than a few that have it now days.
Happy weed for sure!
As always thanks to theflyinhawaiian for sharing all those years ago! Seems that the giving and friendship vibe is gone from so many parts of the business now days. It sucks honestly!
Not great pics but you get the idea.

Attachments

• IMG_3536.jpeg
    IMG_3536.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3532.jpeg
    IMG_3532.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
This is what most frost males look like Some
Of the “frostiest” males I’ve seen. I’ve done two generations since dirty boy and always use multiple males and females
IMG_9534.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9535.jpeg
    IMG_9535.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
I first got the Molokai frost years ago when the flynhawaiian first let it out loved it then and had it for some years up until 2006. My ex clients still ask about it. I always liked the thin leaved viney phenos. Lots of flavors but they all also kinda all taste the same. After I got out of prison in 2013 I was sent some frost by theflyinhawaiian (always thankful) at the time I couldn’t grow them out so I sent them back to Hawaii to dirty boy for reproduction. He basically did an open pollination on the seed he got from me. Multiple males and females. We had talked at the time of restarting my old seed company Goodgear (started way back 2003 or so and sold on cbay) the flyinhawaiian gave us permission to offer the Molokai frost to the public for sale(actually we are the ONLY seed company he gave permission too).There were others that were selling it but never asked permission or were given the go ahead to sell them commercially.. flyinhawaiin have us his blessing to work with them and sell them. We have always given Credit where credit is due. We ask before we use others genetics in crosses or when making more pure seed. Lots of shady fucks on the internet and in the game. We’ve always tried our best to be on the up and up.
anyway. the frost is Real deal Hawaiian herb. my guess is it has some south East Asian in its background. I can taste Thai in some of the phenos. Some have a sulfur type smell to them maybe a little funky cat piss. Def doable indoors or out you just have to mimic the natural Light cycle in Hawaii. Flower them on 11 hours on and mid flower drop it to 10 hours of light. Most will come in around 9 to 10 weeks under this schedule. It’s a gem, old school cannabis. Was fairly rare but there are more than a few that have it now days.
Happy weed for sure!
As always thanks to theflyinhawaiian for sharing all those years ago! Seems that the giving and friendship vibe is gone from so many parts of the business now days. It sucks honestly!
Not great pics but you get the idea.
G’day CTG, your seeds where the pack my mate grabbed, he sent me two phenos, bloody phenomenal. Im going to grab some too. Think it would cross great to some sour.

Thanks for the wealth of knowledge. That male looks insane 😂

One of my cultivars likes to flip her leaves too... I've never figured out why... but it does it when the plant is getting close to senescence so I always assumed that it is signalling that it's done.

I have never seen a male frost up like that in my tent, but I don't let them run out for long... do the resin glands show up early in the pod production cycle?
The frost is called the frost for a reason. Not every plant is killer but there are some within the population that are as good or better than most on the market. Thing about the frost is in pure form there isn’t allot available in the canna scene.

"Not every plant is killer but there are some within the population that are as good or better than most on the market."

I think that would easily apply to almost any widely held cultivar in circulation... I was just wondering about the gland production on the pollen sacs... I think I worded my question poorly, sorry for the confusion.

Grew for an OG out in Colorado who had a gnarly narrow leaf labeled Molokai Frost and said his buddy had sent it from Hawaii years back. Also had some Kauai Electric. The Molokais hermed (we thought from a light leak) and I collected a decent handful of beans. Did a germ test last year and got 100% but haven’t hunted through them more than that, may have to crack into them.

Back