What to do with older nugs?

Olday

So I’ve got a few large mason jars of GMO and Purple punch that are losing their luster, part of it is I ran them both about two weeks too long but they are getting a little browned out and musty. I was thinking I may make some bubble hash with them or maybe some edibles but I thought I’d throw it out there to see what others do when you get here. The GMO smoke still has a great kick, it just keeps getting passed over for fresher stuff.

I make infused coconut oil in bulk. And then hand fill capsules 50-200 at a time. Shelf life in years. Easy. Once the flower gets passed over for fresher, it’ll never make it back into rotation. In my experience. Recipe here.

Good luck. Be well

Fh

For now, I run it through the hydrocarbon machine and filter with a c.r.c (color remediation cartridge, this is a canna industry term. It's much like column chromatography). From here it's purified to a point where the thca will crystalize (and can be separated) or the oil will blend into any formulation easily. Some people would smoke it but my system doesn't have the gear needed to separate the terpenes enough in old material to yield tasty enough oil.

If you don't have access to fancy gear like that perhaps do a cryo ethanol wash on it. You definitely don't have to go this far but I like to purify as much as possible. My process would go like this if you are curious:

Take your nug and grind it some (not too fine, with your amount I'd use my hands) then freeze in a mason jar at the bottom of your chest freezer for a couple day. Do the same with your jar of high proof ethanol. When it's time to extract, take your jar of high proof ethanol and place it in an isopropyl/dry ice bath for half an hour to get it down to cryo temps. Combine the frozen nug and cryo etoh and shake it up for 30 seconds or so. Filter through a coffee filter and into a room temp mason jar. Cover quickly to come up to room temp without condensing a bunch of extra water into the solution. After it reaches room temp, pour off into your glass baking pan to purge the etoh.

I know this isn't anything new so please don't take it the wrong way. Just answering with what I'd do in the scenario.

I've got folks who really enjoy herb that's been cured to gold, or fire engine red. Cured isn't really the word though. It usually stuff I've misplaced, and it's sat in jars for a much longer than usual time.

I wish I enjoyed edibles otherwise I’d cool down my old bud. I use old weed in a vaporizer for my wife. She doesn’t noticed anything different from new and old flower.

I found that dried out old bud sucks for bubble hash. My jars don't get very dried out but as they get to 12 months old I'll decarb and use for edibles. I prefer to use any larfy buds or trim for hash - fresh frozen.

Or...decarb, mix into potent spiced rum. Great ways to do an annual 'get rid of old stuff', whilst gifting 'knowledgeable' friends/relatives...or enjoy by yourself, harrrr

A great idea. I’d love to hear more.

I gots plenty of those beans if you ever want to try them

ecsd from Rez and the Ogers from Ghost

there is a real nice Ogers pheno

the ecsd x Ogers f2’s were made by taking pollen from 4 males and pollinating 6 females , should be some keepers in there…

I gots plenty of those beans if you ever want to try them

ecsd from Rez and the Ogers from Ghost

there is a real nice Ogers pheno

the ecsd x Ogers f2’s were made by taking pollen from 4 males and pollinating 6 females , should be some keepers in there…
A few friends and I were chatting about how so many sour cuts most likely come from the rez seeds. such nice weed. 4 males should lead to a nice variety of expressed genes in the F2.

I was interested in your method too. I have some fresh flower and would love to preserve it as I don’t see it being a daily driver but it would be nice to pluck some fresh from the freezer every so often.

i do a simple butter extraction: 2 ounces of bud/trim per pound of butter.

put water in a 19 gallon pot, 1/3 full. put in the plant material bring it to a slight simmer. add butter. slight simmer for a little while, not boiling. drain into another pot, catching the plant material in a tight sieve lined with cheese cloth. I use a pair of Kitchen gloves (thick dish washing latex) to squeeze out the plant material. refrigerate the liquids, toss the plant material. once the butter/water has cooled, cut a hole in the butter, drain the water. rinse with fresh a couple times and fill with fresh. reheat the butter with the fresh water until the butter is completely melted. Stir it good and cool it down again/ cut a hole, drain the water about 5-8 times. Chlorophyll is water soluble and is the source of the bitter taste. the more you rinse the butter, the less it will taste like green funky ass. more natural, chem-free extraction and your baked goods will actually taste good.

Back