What actually gives weed its characteristic aromas? Terpenes and flavorants, redux

I think a lot of it is that we have had a common language for things for a long time that is a bit limiting and the new ones here and there can be confusing. E.g. Cultivar is the strain cross (e.g. OHaze), Genotype (probably spelled wrong) is the different examples of the cross e.g. the green metallic oHaze, and phenotype seems like to now be the local expression differences related to the grow e.g. the green metallic oHaze has more sandlewood/lemongrass notes when grown indoors in my colder Midwest basement.

And then you add in what the current common gene pool is of the same handful of strains being crossed back and forth with each other so it’s a bit of a pool instead of a strain/cultivar so there could be some helpful language around terp profile and effect that can be found as the same across what seems like hundreds of cultivars/strains. And that’s before you take growing skill and style/feeding into the equation.

Kinda hard to sort out when we’ve been using the common terms for things for so long.

To make it worse I think we get less and less info from the breeders (due in part to not actually working with these strains for more than a run or two before chucking pollen) like mold/pest resistance, outdoor vs indoor suitability, desired effect, commercial concessions related to flower time/yield etc… basically I see a lot of “frosty purple with fruity and gassy terps” - not a lot to go on.

From what I can tell, GW pharma/Ethan Russo started the whole "weed = thc + limonene/myrcene/terpinolene" thing to retard an already neutered concept of pharmaceutically competitive plants. The Doterra narrative is bullshit, has always been bullshit. Ethan Russo is a bad human being.

Weed gets its flavors and effects from things that taste like weed, not from things that smell like soap/scented erasers/air freshener and taste like toxic chemicals. How many people today think floor cleaner terps should taste like actual floor cleaner? Anyone who uses the word terpene, anyone who hits a vape seems to think so these days.

The world must accept Cannabis does not smell, taste or derive effect from: Myrcene, terpinolene,limonene, ocimene, etc etc etc. We all know the same 16 or so essential oil/scrap stream terpenes the Cannabis marketing labs decided to test for. We all know that Doterra has been taken to court for the same bullshit marketing claims that are regurgitated daily in the Cannabis world.

If a Cannabis lab tests for it, it's literally not relevant. And this is intentional,by design, thanks to very shady people (Russo, Jodrey, Watson, Clarke, McCormick, Lee etc) who have been a part of federal/pharma sponsored Cannabis disinformation/misdirection since the inception of Cannabis disinfo. These shady characters have been steering the narrative of Cannabis right where Jazz pharma wants it.

It's simple. Weed smells like carboxylic acids and sugars. Gets its medical effects from carboxylic acids and sugars. If it smells like pineapple and cheese, it's probably ethyl butanoate and butyric acid releasing from a glucoside. So why doesn't any Cannabis lab test for butane derived aromas? Why don't they test for sugars? Almost all Cannabis aromas derive from hexanoic or butanoic acid, and are attached to a sugar.

Show me a weed lab that will test obvious cheese aromas for isovaleric acid and methionine derived thiols. The agenda against medical grade Cannabis is a century in the making folks. Show me a weed farmer who uses calcium gluconate instead of calnit with expensive bro brand humic acid. The entire industry is a fraud.

With that said, Abstrax is a complete joke, a huge part of the problem. Anyone claiming they've discovered the truth about Cannabis after selling lies for years, they can fuck off. Anyone stating we need to grow terpenes of one useless plant, to contaminate another useless plant with, obviously does not have the basis required, or they'd simply grow Cannabis that does not need fake perfume added. Pretty sad Chinese hemp is the best American vape flavor?

There is very obviously a conspiracy against medical grade Cannabis.. None of the industry knows what they are doing, they have no qualified flavorists, chemists, or cannabis growers. The fertilizer used by American ops produces a nasty product with off flavor, and people think it's gas. That's the Cannabis scene in the west. A bunch of scum trying to peddle the most useless shit imaginable.

The industry is actively misinforming people, and will never stop, just like the sprayed addicts, continually spraying BT and claiming it's Cheese terps. They are not fooling anyone with their fake garbage. But it continues because people have been severely retarded. They are lumping positive and negative flavors into the same descriptors and calling it progress. It's funny how no one can identify off flavors in legal Cannabis, as if there aren't any... It's all off flavors.. Raw weed, vapes, everything in between is nasty shit in America. There is very obviously a conspiracy to make sure everyone forgets about MEDICAL GRADE Cannabis by going out of the way to ignore the flamboyant in your face molecules that beg to be spotlighted. If I put a piece of trim in my mouth, I get cotton mouth and overwhelming flavor. What terpanene is that because it cures half the world's ailments. Why is the cannabis community telling me this plant can only be fruit peel scrap molecules?? Fuck the legal Cannabis scene. Nothing but lies and fraud, and shit weed.

In my scary black market scene it was well known that "purp" flavor was a breakdown/polymerization product of anthranilic acid. We knew haze as Boswellic (olibanic) acid. Musky meant long chain lactones,but so did peach. Old growers can tell butanethiol from propanethiol. If they overfed their plants phosphorus they flushed them, they didn't call it "gas" and pretend weed should smell like shoes, when the weed was obviously ruined. We didn't blame off flavors on "phenotype" or "environment", we didn't sell bullshit weed or build an entire bullshit narrative to do so. It's the younger guys who will spray nasty Abstrax terpenes on weed and try to pass it off. Fuck the young pot hustler entrepreneurs losers. Surrounding yourself with losers has ultimately defined this slice of society.

uhh...

so whats MED GRADE cannabis?

and did you really just say that ferts make the cannabis variety smell like gas..?

Ya gotta read the article, for starters. If you don't, you don't know what you're talking about (which I think may be the case here, anyway).

I can't smell shit most of the time since covid. And before covid I couldn't describe pot smells as some others seem to. I didn't read the article either as, what's the point?
It must be nice, though.

Back