Toking before anesthesia: A No-No

sticky is as sticky does
https://merryjane.com/news/anesthesiologists-say-cannabis-consumption-before-surgery-could-be-deadly

I don't think anyone has actually died, but I guess there may have been some bad reactions to anesthesia that prompted this warning. It seems that the thing anesthesiologists are worried about is someone who tokes up in the hours before anesthesia. So if you're having a procedure, don't get baked that morning.

"And while previous studies have shown that frequent cannabis use can necessitate increased doses of anesthesia in surgery patients, Hepner noted that the more serious heart and lung complications are only a threat for patients who consume marijuana in the hours immediately preceding a procedure."

When I had my last colonoscopy the anesthesiologist asked me if I used marijuana and I said yes. WRONG! He instantly gave me the fifth degree. How often, when was the last time and what ways do I ingest it. He had and attitude with me the entire time. I will never admit it again to a doctor.

The four times I’ve been under anesthesia I was toking hours before..:lowrider:

Hey, it's your life man. Do whatever you want. Personally, I don't get baked before anything medical, whether it's a colonoscopy or a routine office visit. Just as I wouldn't show up drunk. It's about respect for the doctor, as much as anything else.

Now if you were stoned and had an accident that warranted an ER visit, that's a whole nother ball game. I've been in for stitches when I was on 'ludes. Can't plan for that stuff!

When I had my last colonoscopy the anesthesiologist asked me if I used marijuana and I said yes. WRONG! He instantly gave me the fifth degree. How often, when was the last time and what ways do I ingest it. He had and attitude with me the entire time. I will never admit it again to a doctor.

I hate that milk of amnesia shit they give us now for colonoscopys. I don't think I would lie about it though. We're adults, and if we choose to use Cannabis, it's our choice. It may make a difference on what anesthesia they use. Beside that it's legal in our states now. When they send you the usual "How was your experience at blah blah hospital?" survey, tell them about the doctor who made you feel like he was talking down to you. Tell them that you don't appreciate his comments. Fuck'em! Maybe the hospital administration will speak to him about it, and he'll quit treating other patients that way in the future. Maybe somebody else already made the same complaint, and he'll be gone.

Good Idea Alabaster. I don't have another one for 7 years and I remember exactly what the puke looks like.... But, I still think I will keep it to myself. They don't need to know.

Hey, it's your life man. Do whatever you want. Personally, I don't get baked before anything medical, whether it's a colonoscopy or a routine office visit. Just as I wouldn't show up drunk. It's about respect for the doctor, as much as anything else.

Now if you were stoned and had an accident that warranted an ER visit, that's a whole nother ball game. I've been in for stitches when I was on 'ludes. Can't plan for that stuff!

I’m high from sun up to sun down everyday of my life. Why would I want to shock myselfwithout mj to go under anesthesia. It’s my understanding it’s best to be calm anxiety free worry free when going under the knife.

My last colonoscopy I was buzzed on a couple bag hits out of the Volcano.
My Gastro Dr. has always recommended that I use Cannabis so when asked I say yes
and they don’t quizzz me or interrogate me.
Wonder why?

i worked in the OR for 23 years. Most anesthesiologist i have spoken to said that no drugs they give will have an adverse reaction to THC. That being said, i'm thinking the complications of slight COPD from smoking anything does add to complications of general anesthesia and having an endotracheal tube in place and a ventilator breathing for you.

^^^ What Guy said.
I'll add that certain ailments, kidney disease comes to mind, can determine a different course for the anesthesiologist's use of drugs. I think the biggest problem though, as Guy said, is the respiratory tract.
I never smoke the "day of."

I hate that milk of amnesia shit they give us now for colonoscopys
Milk of mag or Miralax? Personally, I tell my doc I'll be drinking a 10 oz bottle of citrate of magnesia rather than mix up a gallon of their concoction.

I'd like to share a recent experience of just this exactly...

At 50 I had a colonoscopy like we all are supposed to, they asked me to return in 5yrs and I did recently.. same Dr, same procedure
The biggest difference was the addition to Fentynol in my pain pump and I smoked that morning, so not sure which to blame it on if not both... they put me under, all was going fine, then I get awoken... Sir, please do not move, the procedure is about halfway
done. We had to wake you up because you stopped breathing.. if I died for a few minutes I'm pissed as I have no psychic powers or the ability to communicate with ghosts.... WTF is that? ... oh, just my dog... wheeeew.
?
Be careful, anesthesia is sooo dangerous. they hover you above death, so think about THAT....

Dr said he'll see me in 5yrs and he never forgets an ass...... LMAO BUT I'M STILL HERE PEOPLE..

I'd like to share a recent experience of just this exactly...

At 50 I had a colonoscopy like we all are supposed to, they asked me to return in 5yrs and I did recently.. same Dr, same procedure
The biggest difference was the addition to Fentynol in my pain pump and I smoked that morning, so not sure which to blame it on if not both... they put me under, all was going fine, then I get awoken... Sir, please do not move, the procedure is about halfway
done. We had to wake you up because you stopped breathing.. if I died for a few minutes I'm pissed as I have no psychic powers or the ability to communicate with ghosts.... WTF is that? ... oh, just my dog... wheeeew.
?
Be careful, anesthesia is sooo dangerous. they hover you above death, so think about THAT....

Dr said he'll see me in 5yrs and he never forgets an ass...... LMAO BUT I'M STILL HERE PEOPLE..

So you woke up with a probe up your anus? Good god! Haha Now I think I know where all the ufo probing stories come from.
I had fentynol earlier this year when I had my wisdom pulled out. That shit is no joke. But it was a great experience.

Carty, do you snore?
Another possibility would be sleep apnea. Have you been checked out for that?

I get one every 3 years (mom died of colon cancer). Due shortly.
I get so loopy on Fentanyl, I have it listed as an allergy and only go under in special conditions. My last surgery was Versed and Propofol.

A Previous addict of pain pills I went thru some rough times.. I can talk about it now because it's been over 15yrs now and
seem to of lost that craving.. After my car accident I was started on Vicodin ES .. 95 & 98 back surgeries, more drugs and
of course now the Vicodin ES isn't enough.. introducing Oxycontin 20mg, then up to 80mg 3x's a day along with 8 oxy 5mg
instant release break thru pain meds.. so 280mg a day for a year. moved out here, no Dr would touch me or help me.. went
cold turkey off Oxycontin for 45 days, lost 30+ lbs (not a diet I'd recommend) and 2 trips to emergency room to avoid
going into shock.. After that, they wanted to give me 15 Lortab a day.. um, no, to much Tylenol idiot, back when they all had
500mg in ea.. cut em back to 250mg in hopes of stopping liver failure, to many peeps drinking w/pills. if you don't drink, take
250mg of tylenol with your Lortab and they will work better...

Finally a pain Dr puts me on Fentanyl Patches.. 2 x 100mcg patches every 48hrs.. for the life of me I could not keep these dang
patches on because I live in the jungle and sweat like a pig.. eventually used ace bandages and wrapped them around my arm or leg.. one day was flushing the patches like the directions say to and I noticed medicine still in the patch... BIG MISTAKE.. yup, I
cut it open and sucked it out.. OMG my pain was all but GONE. so I'd wear one patch and nip the corner of another to take little nips, was back to working 10hr days as a parts man at a Jeep Dealership.. life was good. but eventually you take to much, run out of meds and omg is that horrible.. I thought Oxycontin was bad to come down off of.

Got me ass in trouble by going to the dentist to get a bad tooth pulled, changed the pain pill Qty from 10 to 40.. they filled it, then called the police who showed up at my Dad's house.. I looked at my Dad who I had turned to for help not a week before and he bew me off and said, "Told ya I had a pill problem " .. best day of my life.. saved me from the next step, needles... never have, never will.. but it sucked and almost ruined my life.. went thru drug court program with a 40% graduation rate and succeeded..
graduated and got 2 felonies dropped.. probably be dead by now if not for getting into trouble...

now on a pain pump for 13yrs now, 4th one now... and works great, no pills by mouth is even better..
:salut:

Carty, do you snore?
Another possibility would be sleep apnea. Have you been checked out for that?

I get one every 3 years (mom died of colon cancer). Due shortly.
I get so loopy on Fentanyl, I have it listed as an allergy and only go under in special conditions. My last surgery was Versed and Propofol.

No I sure don't.. I mean I snarf from time to time, where ya just make a funny noise, shift your position and back to sleep..
I tend to twitch so not allowed to hold the remote or a pipe while fading off as I tend to twitch and throw them across the
room.. danger Will Robinson... Danger.... hahaha.

Variety Said:
So you woke up with a probe up your anus? Good god! Haha Now I think I know where all the ufo probing stories come from.
I had fentynol earlier this year when I had my wisdom pulled out. That shit is no joke. But it was a great experience.

LMAO.. I sure did man, woke up being probed and for some reason my Dr was kinda greenish with almond shaped eyes...
Oh man, my kid brother tried a small dab of fentanyl and threw up.. told him, this drug is NOT for people who have not already been on a heavy regiment of pain meds.. it's about tolerance, why it's written in Micrograms. and why being mixed with Heroin is killing people.. yeah you might get a wee bit higher, but the price is not worth the risk..

And yes, I am totally into the UFO phenom guys.. told my wife 25yrs ago, they live in our Oceans babe, a place we cannot go.
Hhmmm? wonder why we spend so much researching space when we've not yet researched our planets depths.. CArty

Milk of mag or Miralax? Personally, I tell my doc I'll be drinking a 10 oz bottle of citrate of magnesia rather than mix up a gallon of their concoction.

Ha ha ha! Budmiser.....:pointlaugh: re-read my post. It says I hate that milk of amnesia shit! Not milk of magnesia. I'm referring to the Propofol they use for colonoscopys now. I would much prefer that they would revert back to using Meperidine, and Diazapam.

we are just a bunch of old men here getting our colonoscopies lol. I for one never stopped toking before a surgery, granted most of mine have been the emergency type due to my motorcycle addiction, but i was toking in the hospital parking structure before my anal probe, got a nine on my cleansing score so only one gallon of peg for me next time, but no one told me not to toke prior to procedure:D

2b2s

Sorry, missed the "amnesia" p[art.
You prefer Demerol and Valium?

Absolutely! It's more of a conscious sedation. Besides.... with propofol there has to be a certified anesthesiologist or an anesthesiology nurse present. Which certainly raises the cost by hundreds of dollars. I just don't like the propofol. Given the choice.... which would you prefer Budmiser?

Back