timer for digi-ballast?

Funkynugz

TCC Mod
so i've been researching this question tonight for more time than i care to admit. seems timers nowadays are finicky with digital ballasts, especially digital timers (go figure).

i shopped around and my travels take me to very expensive timers from Titan or Intermatic. i grow 3-4 plants for chrissake, isn't there a decent (safe) timer for under $40 that won't burn down my house? sheesh.

Funkster , there`s all kinds of the Intermatic lil` Gray Box timers on eBay . Some for auction , some for sale . Quick scroll down and I never saw one over $40 . Used this timer for years ....still goin` strong . And I`m runnin` 2 600s on two timers .
peace

^^^ I really like the solis-tek matriix ballast for this reason. It's a solid ballast
with an internal timer, and you can get one for $200. I have a few 3 yrs old that have given me no problems. That being said a hydrofarm digital timer should work 1000 watts without a problem.

funky, there's a reason why the intermatic T101 has been made and used for a century...they are simple, rebuildable, and they work...and they wont set your house on fire:party:

funky, there's a reason why the intermatic T101 has been made and used for a century...they are simple, rebuildable, and they work...and they wont set your house on fire:party:
Do these have backup battery or it it driven off power from plug ?

i studied the Titan Controls website for a while, most of their timers (the lower end, essentially their digital timers) say in big letters "Not for use with digital ballasts" because digi ballasts create a large surge when striking.

from what y'all are saying here is that mechanical analog timers are the way to go. i already have a hydrofarm mechanical that was doing it ok but i have to double-strike the bulb or the lamp won't turn on (the ballast does turn on though). a HD rated digital outdoor timer version, like the Woods, basically same design, wouldn't even turn on the ballast.

I've been usin these for bout 5 years now...runnin 2 600w Quantums on each timer...no problems. :)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006LYHFBQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i was looking at woods timers, many reviews say that it has trouble keeping time and gains or loses up to an hour a day. here's the rating, seems to fit the bill but the amps are kind of low? weed sites recommend 20-25amp rating but i only found those with 240v timers.

125-Volt AC, 60Hertz Resistive rating:15A, 1875-Watt. Tungsten rating:8A, 1000-Watt. 8A Ballast. Controls up to 1/2 HP

so it looks like i am pretty much going to need to look at mechanical timers again or just use what i got, i was hoping for digital but everything points away from that.

Reactions: Boo
Yut, as Boo suggested... the Intermatic T series is what you want. Home depot has the 120 VAC / 40 amp single pole 24 hr for under $50. You can use this directly no problems or use as a trigger for a contactor and control all kinds of load. They also have a double pole and 240/277 VAC models. I've installed these commercially for over 40 years. They are robust, to say the least. And the clock motor is easily replaceable but they usually last for decades. Yes, one would have to wire the outlet and the supply to the timer. This can be easily done by cutting a heavy duty extension cord in half and using the ends or wire a control board with timer, a contactor, outlets and any other climate controller (fan t'stats etc.).

i studied the Titan Controls website for a while, most of their timers (the lower end, essentially their digital timers) say in big letters "Not for use with digital ballasts" because digi ballasts create a large surge when striking.

Actually funky they put that "not for use with digital ballasts" because of the new ballasts with turbo setting. So instead of explaining that to people they just put that warning liable on it. Kinda shitty really.

Actually funky they put that "not for use with digital ballasts" because of the new ballasts with turbo setting. So instead of explaining that to people they just put that warning liable on it. Kinda shitty really
turbo eh? wonder if my less than a year old quantum/hydrofarm 600w digi is a turbo.

skitty yeah, this hydrofarm worked great and then got weird on me.

Yut, as Boo suggested... the Intermatic T series is what you want. Home depot has the 120 VAC / 40 amp single pole 24 hr for under $50. You can use this directly no problems or use as a trigger for a contactor and control all kinds of load. They also have a double pole and 240/277 VAC models. I've installed these commercially for over 40 years. They are robust, to say the least. And the clock motor is easily replaceable but they usually last for decades. Yes, one would have to wire the outlet and the supply to the timer. This can be easily done by cutting a heavy duty extension cord in half and using the ends or wire a control board with timer, a contactor, outlets and any other climate controller (fan t'stats etc.).

yup, but methinks our funky is gonna be a slacker and go the cheap route...:glare:

I vote against cheapin` out . My 2 Intermatic mechanical timers are 17 and 10 years old . Still look and operate like new . But if you go with mechanicals.....get extra trippers . I think elves steal them between grows !!!
peace

i've been using titan timers with digital ballasts for years with no issue. from the looks of them, i would guess all of these timers are coming from the same source regardless of brand.

I've had two Hydrofarm digital timers crap out on me, be sure to keep an eye on your light cycle.

anyone else have their digital timers start coming on later than they were scheduled? i had to replace one that was scheduled for 6pm but would turn on 15 minutes or so late. just doesn't make sense. :scratch:

Also, I wasn't passing much current through them, they were just used to trigger my light controllers.

yup, but methinks our funky is gonna be a slacker and go the cheap route...:glare:

heheh, you are getting to know me too well :happy: i'm not keen on doing a wiring job. not that i can't mind you, but i don't want to spend even more for a heavy duty extension cord to destroy. them things be espensiv.

i'm going to table it for now, too busy to think and my next garden is all autos so i don't need to worry as much about a timer. but yeah, my SO already thinks i spend way too much on this hobby. know what, i do. a pipe here or there, a zip of kind, grow stuff...there's always something.

Im using 2 pole NOMA 1800 watt 20 programmable event timer .

1 pole for light the other for cooling fan :puffpuffpass:
This grow I will also throw scrubber fan on it own timer and maybe introduce CO2 into my equation :bounce:
Never enough toys Funky Brother :D

Didn't know whether to drag out an old thread or start another'n.I need a couple of timers.I have a 600w Mag,and a 400w digital (both 110v).I won't use both at the same time (at least at the moment),but can I use the same timer for whatever light I am currently using? Anything that would be inexpensive and plug and play would be great.I ask because I saw something posted about digital drawing big power on start up or something similar.I saw the posts on the Intermatic T101,but I wouldn't have a clue as to how to get one of those safely wired.

Can I safely use the little cheap pin model timers for my T5?

I don't know much about electricity,so answer me like I am clueless. :D

Back