The Fungus Gnat Fight, Whats Your Weapon of Choice

We get them here in soil bags they don't last long in the frozen land and I deal with them with 2 inches of perlite on top and around drain holes .
Spraying area with Endall II is burns the adult flyers .

We get them here in soil bags they don't last long in the frozen land and I deal with them with 2 inches of perlite on top and around drain holes .
Spraying area with Endall II is burns the adult flyers .

You are correct sir. I wonder how long soil/soilless should sit outside in 20°F weather to kill all eggs, and larvae? I'm sticking my unopened OFPS outside for the night. That should do the trick, ya think?

You are correct sir. I wonder how long soil/soilless should sit outside in 20°F weather to kill all eggs, and larvae? I'm sticking my unopened OFPS outside for the night. That should do the trick, ya think?
it dont at least not the ones i see NOW emerging from rock hard frozen earth at -30
Evolution

I think I've found the method that works best for me so far. I used 1/2 ml of Microbe-lift BTI, plus 60ml of Captain Jack's Dead Bug(Spinosad} per gallon of feed water. I use it every 3 days in my potted mothers, and every 3 days in my reservoirs. I only used 7.5 ml BTI in my 15 gallon reservoirs and no Spinosad. I've done 2 treatments so far, and I no longer see flyers. I've got a tub of tangle-foot that I've had forever, and I picked up a package of yellow 3x5's, and cut them into strips, and applied the tangle-foot to the strips. I put 2-3 on each potted plant's surface, and 4 on each of my aero/nft rigs where I've seen them enter in the past. If there's fungus gnats on a strip, I replace it with a fresh strip. This way I can monitor how I'm doing with my battle. After 7 days now, I am no longer getting anymore flyers, and not getting anymore on the sticky traps. So I've added an enzyme to get rid of rotting roots, and Mammoth P to restore the root hairs the little pecker-woods ate off. My plants have responded wonderfully. I'll continue with treatments for another week just to make sure. The one-two punch of BTI, and Spinosad did the trick. They both work a little different, but very well in tandem.

Anytime fungus knats are present it’s caused by either contaminated soil or over watering, weather it’s too often and not enough air or too much at one time for the bucket/plant and the media stays wet for too long.

The fix is to stop over watering and their life cycle will run out without reproducing
And or only use indoor stored soil for indoors.

I'm a big fan of BTI, and you don't need Microbe-Lift, either. Just go to any garden store, Home DePot, etc., and buy mosquito dunks. They are little floating donuts of cork or something, impregnated with BTI. Break off a chunk, add it to a gallon of water, wait a day, shake it up and drench your plants. Voila, no more fungus gnats. If you use a larger reservoir, add a whole dunk.

this is what i used to do, worked like a charm everytime

several years ago i built a little catch basin out of pond liner and 1x4's for my cabinet and i started bottom feeding my plants, havnt seen a single Gnat since

and I've never had the misfortune of dealing with root aphids ….yet

mj

Back