Taking clone from outdoor plants.

Staind

damaged goods
Is there a specific time of the day to take them?

I've been taking them in the morning and been loosing about 60% 2 out of 3. Usually I get 100% from clones taken indoors.

The train of thought was taking them in the morning after a day of watering before. The plant would be filling up with moisture for the days growth. That would help when the cuts were taken.

Any thoughts?

Going to water on sunday and take cuts in the evening as the experiment. I use peat pucks to root in. I have about 400 of them. Thanks to amazon's screw up. Taking cuts from ALL plants I have growing to find the one. 37 plants.

Take cuts whenever you want, but before moving to your rooting medium soak them for 24 hours in tap water, then recut and stick. Fully hydrating them will increase your strike rate.

I experimented in the last two years soaking them a weak nutrient solution and also water with added gypsum (for Calcium content) Both improved my success rate, but TBH due to my environment, a humidity dome did more than anything.

these days I just take the cuts and then soak them for 30 minutes in a ziploc with a sterlizing solution, rinse them and then let them sit for 24 hours in tap water, then into rapid rooters and then under the dome. Some strains root easier than others, but overall that's whats worked best for me.

[MENTION=4259]Dawn Patrol[/MENTION] I haven't been letting the soak in water as I do indoors. I'll do that and see.

I've always taken cuts from outdoors in the evening Staind but don't think it really matters as long as you get them under the dome as soon as possible with a 95% rooting..I've sent several cuts by priority mail and folks seemed to get em rooted with fairly good results..you might want to check on other factors..best of luck..

@Dawn Patrol I haven't been letting the soak in water as I do indoors. I'll do that and see.

Sterilization is also key, pests outside are limited by their natural predators. Even though I should know better after all these years, I was always amazed when cuts were not rooting and then I saw the pests just exploding on the cuts because there was no predation anymore. I take a gallon of tap water and add a squirt of dish soap and 2 tsp of bleach. Put the cuts in a ziploc, add solution to cover and squeeze out all the air. Soak for 30 minutes (I've forgotten and let them soak for 24 hours with no ill effects), remove, rinse, recut and then let them sit in a cup for at least 24 hours to hydrate. Set them up for success.

Plants transpire water during the day so I would take cuts in the early morning and do just what Dawn Patrol suggested and put them in water right after you make the cut . I always soak my cuts in water for 24 hrs and usually get a 100% success rate

Not soaking them in water over night is the only thing I have been doing different. Just been taking cuts putting them in water and then dipping in rooting powder and placing in pucks. All within a hour or so. It just makes it simpler when taking a lot of cuts, not having several cups of dif cuts. Labeling is a PITA doing it with all the cups/jars I will need to use.

thanks for the input folks. :puffpuffpass:

Keep on trying, Staind. I cloned my "$25 Blueberry" from an outdoor plant that was well into flowering. Took four clones, and the one that I didn't remove the flowers from was the one that survived. The ones where i trimmed off the flowers and just left the leaves all died. :2c:

Back to 100% :woohoo:

All it was not putting them into water over night. Also will say that using the small 2" pucks do better than the 5" ones.

now what to do with all these extra untested cuts :scratch: Waiting for the ones I put into flower to find a keeper.

When I bring clones home from the woods I cut them from about half way up the plant...I then put it in a 600 mil water bottle, push them in stem first with a few drops of water in the bottom of the bottle...breathe 2 - 3 breaths of air into the bottle and put the cap on....I`ve had them live for about 10 days just sitting there in the bottle...try it yourself as it`s a very easy experiment ...take care n stay safe.

When I bring clones home from the woods I cut them from about half way up the plant...I then put it in a 600 mil water bottle, push them in stem first with a few drops of water in the bottom of the bottle...breathe 2 - 3 breaths of air into the bottle and put the cap on....I`ve had them live for about 10 days just sitting there in the bottle...try it yourself as it`s a very easy experiment ...take care n stay safe.

Not a bad way to ship cuts either as long as they don't heat up of freeze.

When you take your cuttings outdoors, are you clipping each cutting outside or do you take a branch and bring it inside? I'm thinking in the terms of pathogens, only think I can think of other then environmental stress..

Are you running a heat mat, them root bases love high temps, maybe being outdoors they need even more so with how hot it's been.. I used to run mine 78-82f at bottom of RR plug.. so I'd lie a thermometer right down next to them.. got to the point I didn't even use any rooting powder/gel.. just water.

Like you stated, all about that humidity dome, I run old chicken containers from wallmart.. u know, up near the registers the fully cooked ones... them are perfect domes for 6 little cuttings...

Best rooting agent... Dip n Grow. other BIGGEST TIP: make your 2nd (fresh cut) right thru a node at a 45
degree angle. this will improve your rooting drastically.. I even then rotate it 180 degree and slightly shave the opposite side... then, if using it, into dip n grow, into RR plug.. push in until you feel it touch your finger..

I was getting roots in 3 days by placing them in that weird bathroom light... lol

Sterilization is also key, pests outside are limited by their natural predators. Even though I should know better after all these years, I was always amazed when cuts were not rooting and then I saw the pests just exploding on the cuts because there was no predation anymore. I take a gallon of tap water and add a squirt of dish soap and 2 tsp of bleach. Put the cuts in a ziploc, add solution to cover and squeeze out all the air. Soak for 30 minutes (I've forgotten and let them soak for 24 hours with no ill effects), remove, rinse, recut and then let them sit in a cup for at least 24 hours to hydrate. Set them up for success.

What would you guys consider to be a reasonable amount of time to quarantine after bringing the outdoor cuts in and doing the sterilization and rooting?

What would you guys consider to be a reasonable amount of time to quarantine after bringing the outdoor cuts in and doing the sterilization and rooting?

do you have magnification to look at the undersides of the leaves closely? Once you "sterilize", hydrate them and then put them through the rooting process examine them closely with magnification. If they look clean move forward, if not keep feeding and treating for what you see.

Just waiting for roots so that I can give them a close look over.Didn't want to monkey with them till they felt sturdy.I'm rooting in perlite,so anything that were to show would have had to come from outside.

Thanks.

Was over at the big grow op down the road talking to Loompa. He was taking cuts to sell to pay for repairs on his truck (blew it up by not changing the oil) He was using medicated dog shampoo in a bucket of water he was putting the cuts in. I sht you not... It was all he had atm but did say the permethrin in the shampoo would kill everything on them.

Was over at the big grow op down the road talking to Loompa. He was taking cuts to sell to pay for repairs on his truck (blew it up by not changing the oil) He was using medicated dog shampoo in a bucket of water he was putting the cuts in. I sht you not... It was all he had atm but did say the permethrin in the shampoo would kill everything on them.

I suppose if its all you have its better than nothing, and to be clear, that should kill most common aphids, thrips and whiteflies but for russets and other borg from hell I doubt it totally gets the job done.

Spinosad (Monterey Garden Insect Spray) is a good OMRI-listed addition to your treatment regime if you are bringing stuff in from outside or "elsewhere." Plans seem to like it, too (unlike permethrin or pyrethrin).

Back