storage temps

rosso reefo

pizza mystro
Just thought I'd throw this out there..
I had a lot of product turn brown from last year due to improper storage..heat is is your worst enemy..I've kept a few mason jars in my closet for 3 years nows that still looks fresh as a daisy..it's all the over flow in turkey bags or vacuum sealed bags that goes to hell in a short period of time..
use to bury it in 100 gallon barrels which worked fine but mold can set in if not dried crispy..
personally I think vacuumed sealed at 50 to 40 degrees would be perfect for long term storage for up to a year..
I've never tried freezing in vacuum sealed bag 1lb ers..
anyone ever stored dried pot in freezers for up to year.. does it effect the quality like making it damp when taking it out of the freezer..
thanks and don't pay attention to my ramblings..it's been a long morning..
RR

I have kept dried pot in the freezer, it was good after 1-1/2 years (no detectable deterioration). I have frozen it in vac bags and mason jars, both worked well. This is frozen in a chest freezer, not a freezer that is opened often and definitely not in a freezer that is self defrost.

I've never stored anything that long... but have read something about storing it in a freezer.. It stated something about the trichome heads freezing and breaking.. compared it to making ice hash when they talked about it..

Could you use the same method jarring weed as you would most other things.. something about boiling them in water until the lid pops inward showing all moisture has been removed or something like that... I can't wait to see what you guys figure out as this has always been a good question... :puffpuffpass:

My weed went bad last year. I had it in a top shelf of a closet in jars.

I’m thinking of vacuum sealing bags after full cure, then into jars. Probably would go under a bed in a guest room. Darkest coolest place. I didn’t grow this year so this years out door has to last. Why not freeze?

I guess it depends on how you do it (the freeze) but my buddy who used to freeze his weed stopped after I asked him why his buds were all brown instead of green. He keeps it in jars in his basement now.

I keep all mine in a dark, cool room in the basement. I have never had it around more that 6 months so I don't know anything about long term storage. My plan is to never have it around long enough to worry about turning brown, developing mold or going bad.

I would think that freezing would cause the trichomes to break off like cartman mentioned. I say this cause I make kief with dry ice and they break right off. I know Big freezes but he ultimately makes concentrates with his.

I have kept dried pot in the freezer, it was good after 1-1/2 years (no detectable deterioration). I have frozen it in vac bags and mason jars, both worked well. This is frozen in a chest freezer, not a freezer that is opened often and definitely not in a freezer that is self defrost.

Thanks Liz..that's what I thought..once out of the freezer you just let it defrost and it should be fine..

with the market being so flooded now that it's legal it's not like the good old days where your weed would fly out the window in a month or 2 after harvest..
kept some stuff till June, July and it turned brown..storage room would get up to the 80s and 90s..big mistake..

I have an old 150sf shed with AC that I use to use for keeping my moms and startups in and don't use anymore..lights put out a lot of heat even in the winter..think I'll just use that for storage and keep it at 60 for when the weather gets hot..AC still works great..

cheers and thanks for everyones input..

I bury ice chests with vac sealed qp's about 4 feet down. Down 4', the soil is always cool if not cold. The only thing I notice is it loses flavor but the THC is still there. Will have about 25#'s buried after this run, just in case shit hits the fan on the legal market or I take a year off.

I store mine outdoors Rosso and it`s always seems better in the spring...no colour loss or flavour loss...I cant really say where I put it but it`s dark and hovers just above the freezing mark and it stays that way all winter long...It`s a little hard to access but very safe....here`s a link to the Leafly guide to storing cannabis.. https://www.leafly.com/news/cannabi...bis-good-for-leaflys-guide-to-storing-cannabi ...it`s pretty strait forward but I put it up anyway...take care n stay safe.

I like gamma buckets , with boveda packs ....though I have had some strains brown after several months , only certain strains though
I think low temps and checking them once a month is key
I hate when that happens

I always let frozen bud (or seeds) come to room temp before opening them so they don't get damp from condensation. I've never had dried bud turn brown from freezing as long as it was dried well, kept in a chest freezer, & not opened repeatedly.

I usually turn my entire harvest into hash - bubble first, then frozen QWISO. For those, I don't bother drying the bud, I just chop it up and freeze it for processing.

I use vacuum seal a meal bags with Boveda packs and store in Ziplock 15 Gal weather shield storage box .

They are solid black and don't let the light in then I store in a outbuilding for the winter .

Product stays fresh as a daisy

Attachments

• ea9c76ca-70aa-4109-ac8e-65d261523a2a_1_c45ebd481b98a11d0f7e6f82a2311f5d.jpg
    ea9c76ca-70aa-4109-ac8e-65d261523a2a_1_c45ebd481b98a11d0f7e6f82a2311f5d.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 0
Back