Sponge cake

rosso reefo

pizza mystro
I just had to share this recipe..its so incredibly easy and I've made it 4 times now with great results..way back in my restaurant days had to whisk the egg yolks first over on a double boiler and then fold in the beaten egg whites..all you need for this is a stand up kitchen aid mixer..don't think you can accomplish it by hand or a regular hand held beater..
made one incredible chocolate frosting cake and 3 apple sponge cakes with just layering sliced apples on the top before baking..
forget the parchment paper and just use Pam baking spray on 2 cake pans..I also cut down a bit on the sugar since I don't like desserts to sweet and fold in 2 table spoons of unsalted melted butter when folding in the flour..you can use this recipe for a multitude of different dessert..
enjoy..
--------------------------------4-Ingredient Sponge Cake (Video Recipe)

4.72 from 166 votes
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 25 minutes Total Time: 35 minutes

Once you master this easy European sponge cake (genoise), you can make hundreds of different cakes using this base!
Author: Natasha of NatashasKitchen.com
Skill Level: Easy
Cost to Make: $2-$4
Servings: 2 (9-inch) round cakes

Ingredients

6 large eggs room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar 210 grams
1 cup all-purpose flour 130 grams
1/2 tsp baking powder
Instructions

Prep:

Preheat Oven to 350˚F. Line bottoms of two 9″ cake pans with parchment paper (do not grease the sides).
How to Make this Sponge Cake:

In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment (this is the one I have), beat 6 large eggs for 1 minute on high speed. With the mixer on, gradually add 1 cup sugar and continue beating 8-10 minutes until thick and fluffy.
Whisk together 1 cup flour and 1/2 tsp baking powder then sift this mixture into fluffy egg mixture one third at a time. Fold with a spatula with each addition just until incorporated. Scrape spatula from the bottom to catch any pockets of flour and stop mixing when no streaks of flour remain. Do not over-mix or you will deflate the batter.

Divide evenly between prepared cake pans (it helps if you have a kitchen scale to weight the pans). Bake at 350˚F for 23-28 minutes (my oven took 25 min), or until top is golden brown. Remove from pan by sliding a thin spatula (here’s the one I love for cakes) around the edges then transfer to a wire rack and remove parchment backing. Cool cakes to room temperature then slice layers equally in half with a

brings back memories of my Slovenia granny rosso......always had a sponge cake under the cake glass ready for fresh strawberries .....her pride/joy was making sure you left full of food.....and was the best cook in the family......did everything by sight and with her hands.....which were gnarled.........

thanks for sharing.........

Whats sponge cake without chocolate frosting..this frosting is so simple and from "yes" a stoner named Martha Stewart..say what you will but she always looks stoned to me..
just happened to stumble on her recipe on the internet and easy to make and keeps for a week in the fridge..made it twice and it disappears before you know it..also great on toast, pancakes and waffles..

8oz of semisweet chocolate
4 cups of heavy cream..don't use the cheap stuff..

in a heavy saucepan on low heat melt the chocolate with a wooden spoon into the the cream..DO NOT BRING TO A BOIL..
allow to cool in the fridge for up to 6 hours or over night..
with a whisk attachment whip until nice and thick but don't over whip and its ready to go..

side note..once you frost your cake it needs to go into the fridge..this ain't the crap they make in supermarkets that can sit out for days with all their emulsifiers and artificial holding agents like a hostess cupcake....

Back