Solventless Q&A

Hey Cannadivine!

I got a few questions here lol. I have never really washed anything before. On my next harvest I plan on running one strain that I dedicate to washing.

I don’t have the money for a freeze dryer so I’m looking at a washing and air drying the best I can and pressing it into rosin.

I’ve been looking at buying a dabpress as it is affordable. Is there a reason I don’t see many people using this brand?

What temp and humidity is best for air drying?

I just want terps and stability I don’t care about yield.

Hey Cannadivine!

I got a few questions here lol. I have never really washed anything before. On my next harvest I plan on running one strain that I dedicate to washing.

I don’t have the money for a freeze dryer so I’m looking at a washing and air drying the best I can and pressing it into rosin.

I’ve been looking at buying a dabpress as it is affordable. Is there a reason I don’t see many people using this brand?

What temp and humidity is best for air drying?

I just want terps and stability I don’t care about yield.
Not sure if it’s alright to chime in but I can offer a little advice as to processing on very small scale with limited budget. I’ve been using ice and water to isolate trichomes for a bit over a decade. When rosin was introduced to the scene I started with modifying a hair straightener as many did before the presses made it to market.

When spooning out the patties I go onto a mesh screen with a “sham wow” underneath to start removing water as fast as possible. Once done collecting they go into the freezer for 20min to firm them up. Then I use a small stainless kitchen sieve and spoon to break up the patties and allow for the most surface area. I use paper to go boxes with parchment paper in the bottom. I find drying in very similar manor to flower works best. 60-65degrees/60-65rh.

Attachments

• IMG_5297.jpeg
    IMG_5297.jpeg
    302 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5296.jpeg
    IMG_5296.jpeg
    511.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5295.jpeg
    IMG_5295.jpeg
    366.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5294.jpeg
    IMG_5294.jpeg
    344.9 KB · Views: 9
Not sure if it’s alright to chime in but I can offer a little advice as to processing on very small scale with limited budget. I’ve been using ice and water to isolate trichomes for a bit over a decade. When rosin was introduced to the scene I started with modifying a hair straightener as many did before the presses made it to market.

When spooning out the patties I go onto a mesh screen with a “sham wow” underneath to start removing water as fast as possible. Once done collecting they go into the freezer for 20min to firm them up. Then I use a small stainless kitchen sieve and spoon to break up the patties and allow for the most surface area. I use paper to go boxes with parchment paper in the bottom. I find drying in very similar manor to flower works best. 60-65degrees/60-65rh

Always an open platform for discussion! Appreciate your input boss. And youre advice is spot on.

@No_koast The initial wicking of moisture is a huge step in air dry. Like demon said, use a coffee filter or 25micron pressing screen with layered papertowel or shamwow underneath to pull majority of the moisture. you can even fold the 25 micron over the paddy and squeeze a bit to speed up process. When paper towel no longer pulls moister, freeze, and then move onto Microplaning or seiving the patties. I prefer a microplane for greasier varietals. Reason being to increase surface area of the hash, trying to speed dry time and minimize oxidation. Lower the temperature the better. If you can get sub 50 with an equivalent rH youre set up for success. Though, i have successfully dried plenty of hash at household room temps. Just bear in mind the color is going to degrade. Youre hash will end up much darker. air dry tends to have higher levels of cbn, as the thc natural converts to it during the dry due to oxidation. Think of it like older weed and the way its gives a more lethargic high. kinda like smoking a resin ball from a pipe when your a kid. that cbn tends to have a more sedative narcotic effect and is a byproduct of aging/degrading thc.

Freeze driers are simply a luxury in this process. We've been drying hash by air longgggg before trying out the FD. I don't notice much in effect, though there is a difference. Its mostly an aesthetic.

I personally don't have any experience with the dab press, but can say i've made plenty of stellar rosin off a hair straightener and irwin hand clamp similar to what demons posted. Heat and pressure is all you need. You can think of it as melting the head and squeezing the oils out of its waxy membrane exterior.

Just running through it a couple times will make you muchhhh more comfortable with the process. Its far less intimidating than it seems. Feel free to holler here any time along the way! No question is a dumb question!

Always an open platform for discussion! Appreciate your input boss. And youre advice is spot on.

@No_koast The initial wicking of moisture is a huge step in air dry. Like demon said, use a coffee filter or 25micron pressing screen with layered papertowel or shamwow underneath to pull majority of the moisture. you can even fold the 25 micron over the paddy and squeeze a bit to speed up process. When paper towel no longer pulls moister, freeze, and then move onto Microplaning or seiving the patties. I prefer a microplane for greasier varietals. Reason being to increase surface area of the hash, trying to speed dry time and minimize oxidation. Lower the temperature the better. If you can get sub 50 with an equivalent rH youre set up for success. Though, i have successfully dried plenty of hash at household room temps. Just bear in mind the color is going to degrade. Youre hash will end up much darker. air dry tends to have higher levels of cbn, as the thc natural converts to it during the dry due to oxidation. Think of it like older weed and the way its gives a more lethargic high. kinda like smoking a resin ball from a pipe when your a kid. that cbn tends to have a more sedative narcotic effect and is a byproduct of aging/degrading thc.

Freeze driers are simply a luxury in this process. We've been drying hash by air longgggg before trying out the FD. I don't notice much in effect, though there is a difference. Its mostly an aesthetic.

I personally don't have any experience with the dab press, but can say i've made plenty of stellar rosin off a hair straightener and irwin hand clamp similar to what demons posted. Heat and pressure is all you need. You can think of it as melting the head and squeezing the oils out of its waxy membrane exterior.

Just running through it a couple times will make you muchhhh more comfortable with the process. Its far less intimidating than it seems. Feel free to holler here any time along the way! No question is a dumb question!
@Demonsofdirt

Thanks guys!

Shamwow is a great idea! Do either of you have any experience with the BĂźchner funnel method? I watched this video from shaping fire podcast. It seems like it might help a lot with drying times.

Is there a way to tell when the hash is dried enough to jar up?

Again thank you guys for awesome responses!

@Demonsofdirt

Thanks guys!

Shamwow is a great idea! Do either of you have any experience with the BĂźchner funnel method? I watched this video from shaping fire podcast. It seems like it might help a lot with drying times.

Is there a way to tell when the hash is dried enough to jar up?

Again thank you guys for awesome responses!

I watched that when it came out and do find it interesting. Never experimented with any of it.

As for drying I generally found approximately 7days if the environment was correct. Once jarred it’s similar to flower where as long as you check on it and burp the jars you’ll be good to go. Beyond that kind of have to go by feel and sound. If you grab a little bit and roll it in you fingers it should crumble apart. That is however dependent on how greasy it is. It will sound like sand rolling around in the drying box once it’s been moved around a little bit.

Also if you are going to be pressing it into rosin can do a small sample batch and that will quickly show you of there is too much moisture left. It will steam and blow out the parchment paper.

As you start pressing collection can be a challenge and is completely strain dependent. I always keep a 12/12 ceramic tile in the freezer and use that as a collection surface to put parchment paper on. Just put a paper towel down first as you’ll get some condensation depending on temperature differences. Some strains however will require to be warmed slightly to avoid it chipping and flying around like broken glass.

Last edited:
I watched that when it came out and do find it interesting. Never experimented with any of it.

As for drying I generally found approximately 7days if the environment was correct. Once jarred it’s similar to flower where as long as you check on it and burp the jars you’ll be good to go. Beyond that kind of have to go by feel and sound. If you grab a little bit and roll it in you fingers it should crumble apart. That is however dependent on how greasy it is. It will sound like sand rolling around in the drying box once it’s been moved around a little bit.

Also if you are going to be pressing it into rosin can do a small sample batch and that will quickly show you of there is too much moisture left. It will steam and blow out the parchment paper.

As you start pressing collection can be a challenge and is completely strain dependent. I always keep a 12/12 ceramic tile in the freezer and use that as a collection surface to put parchment paper on. Just put a paper towel down first as you’ll get some condensation depending on temperature differences. Some strains however will require to be warmed slightly to avoid it chipping and flying around like broken glass.
That’s a great idea!

Back