Smart Pots vs Plastic Pots side by side results.

I like smart pots a lot- for the final container only. Transplanting out of them is more difficult and causes more stress than with a hard sided pot, I think.

I'm a big fan of root pouch fabric pots. They make several lines, designed to degrade in a given amount of time. They make a 3-4 year one that's almost as tough as smart pots, but like 1/3 or 1/4 of the price- less than $1, each. They also make really cheap ones that you can get away with using once or twice- and they cost maybe 50c each, depending on how many you buy.

I go through a lot of pots, and have used these for a while with great results.

http://www.amleo.com/root-pouch-degradable-pots/p/VP-RPXXXX/

When I say Smart Pots, I really just mean fabric pots. I actually use the pots you linked along with actual Smart Pots brand.

I personally don't have any issues when transplanting from a 1 gallon fabric pot to a larger fabric pot. I also bust up my root balls quite a bit, so I might just be stressing them all out, as I do still use small square plastic pots as well.

Thanks for the link goro! That is EXACTLY what I have been looking for months for :ty:

Sorry for your lack of free time GMD, I personally don't really like auto watering per se but there are alot more options nowadays...from floraflex pot covers to blumats that water when the plant needs it as opposed to a set schedule.

I like the watering tech idea Breezy, would love to see a thread on it.

Take care and stay safe

guerilla

Take care and stay safe

guerilla

Ill do a thread when I can, right now im still waiting to get some plants in my garden.

When I say Smart Pots, I really just mean fabric pots. I actually use the pots you linked along with actual Smart Pots brand.

I personally don't have any issues when transplanting from a 1 gallon fabric pot to a larger fabric pot. I also bust up my root balls quite a bit, so I might just be stressing them all out, as I do still use small square plastic pots as well.

Right on.

I like to minimize disruption of the root zone when I transplant- I've just always had best results that way. Generally I will veg in 1/2 or 1 gallon squares, then onto 2 (if autowatering) or 3 (if handwatering) gallon fabric pots.

Really, its the speed of transplant and ease of use that causes me to recommend fabric only for the last container. I bet I can up pot 3 hard containers in the time it takes me to do 1 smart pot... time=money.

Back