Small Plants Outdoors?

Outwest

Cannabis Connoisseur
I'd like to grow many small plants outside in the CO high country this year. I did not germinate seeds until June 15th last year and the plants got bigger than I would like. This year I am going to wait until July 1 to germinate, but I have a few concerns. 1) The growing season here is short. If I germinate 7/1 I'll probably put them outside in late July. At that point, they will start flowering immediately. They won't have much time to establish roots before they start flowering. 2) With the short CO high country growing season, I risk them being unable to finish if I put them out too late.

I'm going with genetics I hope will finish faster; purest Indica, nl5, original skunk 1, sensi star, blueberry, flo, and a few others I'm forgetting. I'll probably use 30 gallon pots. I know that is a large size, but I'd like to go water only so I can put them on a timer without much fuss. With a larger pot size, they will have plenty of food.

I see gardens of mature chest-high plants. I want that! Any tips or tricks are welcome! Thanks!

outwest

Honestly bro, pruning the plants back a few times over the season to keep them manageable...would do better than putting them out late. At least you know they'll finish.
Thanks, Dman. What kind of pruning do you suggest? I usually just keep topping until about mid-July.

Thanks, Dman. What kind of pruning do you suggest? I usually just keep topping until about mid-July.
If you keep pruning early, (every couple of weeks) you can make them small bushes...and yes, keep topping until the 1st-2nd week of July. If you can keep the plants around 3' tall when flowering starts, they should finish about 5' tall (dependent on genetics). You could also go the LST route as @Teresa mentioned.

If you keep pruning early, (every couple of weeks) you can make them small bushes...and yes, keep topping until the 1st-2nd week of July. If you can keep the plants around 3' tall when flowering starts, they should finish about 5' tall (dependent on genetics). You could also go the LST route as @Teresa mentioned.
I’m doing all these things. Hopefully my choice of genetic works out. Thanks for the tips @DMAN and @Teresa

outwest

Your timing seems right to keep them smaller. You could even go later to keep them smaller. If you let them get root bound they will trigger to flower earlier but be careful they will need water everyday and liquid feedings more regularly.

Hello there,something I will do is plant before the last full moon of the ascending photoperiod.Depending on the gear you're running most 55/65 day finishers will come in ok.You won't get tons of flower but it's the most discreet fast tracked outdoor method I've found.
thanks. If I germinate on 7/1 I’ll out them outside roughly 2-3 weeks later and the July full moon is 7/21 this year.

In my limited outdoor experience, I've noted that old plants finish faster. I used to take revegged potbound plants grown/harvested inside, put them outside in June, and they'd explode in growth, get to 6 foot tall even with low light levels hidden in woodland clearing, and finish in late Sept. thru October.

I have no real input on this thread as my outdoor experience was pretty minimal and a long time ago.
But I found some of my old pics stashed away on my icmag account and found this excuse to post one of my favorite pictures.

This is not a lowryder or any kind of auto flower. It is a Reeferman Bubblegum circa 2001 Planted in low light in late August. finished early November. Yielded 1/4 ounce

So...don't do this

Attachments

• 6815small_plant_3.jpg
    6815small_plant_3.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 33
In my limited outdoor experience, I've noted that old plants finish faster. I used to take revegged potbound plants grown/harvested inside, put them outside in June, and they'd explode in growth, get to 6 foot tall even with low light levels hidden in woodland clearing, and finish in late Sept. thru October.
Smart trick

IMG_4678.jpegIMG_4754.jpegIMG_4728.jpegIMG_4747.jpegI’ve only got a couple of outdoor crops under my belt in SoCal and I plant em around end of June so they don’t get too big. And they are ready for flower in August. Only problem here is humidity and bugs. I had to cut down the greenpoint seeds apple fritter x animal cookies and the animal cookies x purple punch seeds early cause it showed signs of pre mold/ bud rot. But overall the smoke was really really good!! This year I’m running next generation seeds for the mold issues outdoorsIMG_4666.jpegIMG_4696.jpeg

View attachment 360016View attachment 360017View attachment 360018View attachment 360019I’ve only got a couple of outdoor crops under my belt in SoCal and I plant em around end of June so they don’t get too big. And they are ready for flower in August. Only problem here is humidity and bugs. I had to cut down the greenpoint seeds apple fritter x animal cookies and the animal cookies x purple punch seeds early cause it showed signs of pre mold/ bud rot. But overall the smoke was really really good!! This year I’m running next generation seeds for the mold issues outdoorsView attachment 360014View attachment 360015
Which next gen cultivars are you growing this year

Back