Setting Up a Top Feed Recirculating System

M

mojo

I posted this because I had back to back PM's asking me how it's done.

Setting Up a Top Feed Recirculating System

Required Items:
Reservoir
Tray
Main pump of adequate size, depending on how many sites you’ll be watering
150gph auxiliary pump for mixing nutrients (optional, but really nice to have)
150gph circulating pump to keep water moving in reservoir so return won’t go straight to the main pump
½” poly hose
½” nylon elbow
Figure 8 hose end to close off the bitter end of the ½” tubing
¼” tubing – I use the 100’ box from Lowe’s – tubing’s got MISTER LANDSCAPE on it.
¼” tees
Tool for making ¼” holes in the ½” tubing for your tees to push into.
¼” stakes for tubing in pots
Drain for the tray
6” – 8” drainpipe extension
Piece of nylon panty hose (to act as a filter on tray drain)

1. With a hole saw, cut a hole at the proper place in the tray for the drain to fit into and install it. Normally, I choose the end of the tray that has a depressed well in it to install the drain. You can find a little drain for bar sinks at Home Depot or Lowe’s. If you use one of the commercial trays, you'll need to use a pair of vice-grips and bend one side of the flange on the drain up a little to get it to fit into that little well on the end - even though it's a small bar drain, the diameter of the flange on the drain's still just about 1/4" too big to fit flush unless you curl one edge of it up.

2. Fix the drainpipe in place and rubber band the toe out of a pair of nylons over the end of the drainpipe to act as a filter to catch the small coco particles as the water returns from the pots. This will hang down into the water and is a nice place for beneficial bacteria to hang out in, if you’re into that sort of thing.

3. Using the hole saw again, drill a hole in the top of the reservoir for the drainpipe to fit through. I’ve placed mine several inches above the inspection plate hole in the reservoir. Placing it there allows me to remove the inspection cover when I add to or adjust what’s in the reservoir.

4. Using a 5/8” drill bit, drill a hole in the lip of the tray above the drain for the ½” elbow to fit into and push the elbow into this hole. This will be where the hose makes the turn from coming out of your reservoir going into the bed of the tray.

5. Place the main pump onto the tray.

6. Cut a length of the ½” hose long enough to go from the main pump to that elbow and fix one end to the pump and the other to the elbow.

7. Cut another piece of ½” tubing adequate to run the length of the bottom of your tray.

8. Using the hole making tool for the ¼” tubing, make holes in the ½” main line for the ¼” tees. For a 10 site, make 5 holes, etc. Push the tees into these holes. Do NOT use drippers – they clog! Run the ends of the ¼” hoses wide open.

9. Cut the ¼” tubing into equal lengths, depending on how long you need them. Push these pieces of tubing onto the tees.

10. Install the figure 8 hose end on one end of the hose and push the other onto the ½” tee at the drain end of the tray. Lay the hose in the bottom of the tray.

11. Using a drill bit, drill notches into the corners of the inspection hole in the reservoir for the cords coming off your pumps.

I use 3 pumps in each reservoir – but that’s just me, lol. The main pump, of course, and two smaller 150gph pumps. One of the 150’s comes on with the main pump and provides circulation that keeps the return coming out of the drain from immediately being sucked back into the main pump which is located only about 12” from the drain. The 2nd 150 gph is plugged into a power strip laying on the reservoir, by the inspection hole cover. I flip this one on when I’m adding nutrients before the main pump comes on. It mixes the nutrients quickly so my meter picks up the change fast. Both of these smaller pumps have suction cups on them and I’ve located them side by side in the right hand corner of my reservoir, just inside the inspection cover. This allows them to create a swirling motion in the reservoir that keeps things moving nicely.

Pump size? Whatever it takes – I use a 350gph pond pump from Lowe’s or Home Depot for my 10 site trays. It will do more but gets kinda iffy when you get over 16. The initial surge from a much larger pump on a 10 site will blast coco out of the pots. Even using the smaller pump, running the lines wide open will dig little holes in the coco where the water lands in the pots. These little holes will only get an inch or so deep, but if this bothers you, push a 1½” square Grodan rockwool cube onto the end of the hose and no more holes in the coco - :D.

At the initial waterings, you’re going to get lots of coco particles coming back in your return. Don’t worry about this because the panty hose filter you hung on the drainpipe’s going to catch it. I go a year or so before I have to change out the panty hose filters. They get kinda full and float in the reservoir – so don’t get worried – panty hose material stretches.

I used to also put a bag filter on my pump but found this to be unnecessary as the large main pump will pump small stuff through it without a problem so far. When I removed the bag filter, I found my volume increased significantly.

Home Depot has spools of the ¼” tubing but it’s too stiff, in my opinion. The MISTER LANDSCAPE tubing I use comes in a box and has a part number of MLT-B100B on it. It’s more flexible and easier to work with.

Like I said, this is the basic way to set up a recirc system but you can get fancier if and when you want to by adding a manifold to replace the ½” main line. This requires more stuff but will do a lot to equalize the volume coming out of each of the ¼” feeder lines. With the volume of water I put through each pot, equalizing the flow is not an issue for me. If the grower’s into micro managing their grow, the manifold may be of interest. I don’t believe in micro management – to much busy work, imo – so I just let er rip the way I’ve got it set up. :D

I hope this info helps the person setting up a recirculating, top-feed system. I think that’s about it - :D

Last edited:
Mojo, your post will certainly be appreciated by many here on the island, as well as by those just drifting by. Peace in the New Year.

ZigZag :thumright:

Thanks, ZZ... I know I had lots of questions I wish someone had answered when I set my gear up years ago... Time's valuable - no since wasting any of it trying to figure this shit out.

Anyone with questions can either ask them here or pm me - if it's a question that may help others out, here would be good... I asked Dman to sticky this if he thinks it's something worthwhile - it's gonna be easy for this thread to get lost at the bottom of the pile if it's just read and seldom replied to - :D

peace all...

Thanks for the thread!
How to figure out what size pump you will need?
If you use pressure valves, do all the feed lines still have to be same length?

I prefer using modded 180 degree sprayers with top feed they promote better coverage with no erosion issues. Filtered drains with media socks on the pumps double protection.

dcyans is correct, however I don't have issues with erosion - like I stated, the small holes created by the water hitting the surface of the coir are very small and shallow and they don't continue to erode once they've hit that 1" or so depth.

I don't worry about equalizing pressure the way I water - the 700%-800% runoff I have kinda makes pressure differences a moot point... having said that, some can't or don't want to water that much... anything that equalizes pressure will work - pressure sprayers and manifolds do the trick if, like I said, you're into micro-management of your grow.

I used to worry about not getting complete coverage of the surface of the coco, but I quit worrying about it after about a dozen grows where it didn't seem to matter. When I use pots 2 gallon or less, I only have one feed line coming into the pot. If I use a 3 gallon or larger, I'll put 2 feed lines into the pot - one on either side of the main stem. The fact that the surface of my pots never dry out tells me the water's being wicked sideways adequately enough to keep things from getting toxic in that side of the pot. But the real gauge is the health and growth of the plants - and mine grow without event.

Could you post some pictures of this set up please Mojo? I'm having a hard time visualizing some of it in my head.

Put a sticky on this thread - Nice job

pictures? I know that may be asking too much!

What size pump for the feed res for a 4x8, with about 32-40? Is the 1/2 hp submersible from HD good?

I've watered 20 sites with a 375gph and I've got a 1000gph for 40 - sorry, I don't know the horsepower. I use the pond pumps because they're for continuous flow rather than intermittent.

Could you post some pictures of this set up please Mojo? I'm having a hard time visualizing some of it in my head.

Put a sticky on this thread - Nice job

pictures? I know that may be asking too much!

The wife's out of the country with the camera right now... soon as she gets back, I'll see what I can do about taking pics. Right now, both of my trays are in use and one is solid green at day 35 so it'd be difficult to see the bottom of the tray but I've got two bushes in the other tray that are on day 7 of a 2 week flush - that'll be the tray I take snap shots of.

About making this a sticky - I've sent 2 pm's and it's still in general population, lolol.... anyway...

thats exactly the stuff i use too mojo. nice write up.

nice tip on drilling the hole in the lip for the 1/2" 90. im gonna use that 1.

thats exactly the stuff i use too mojo. nice write up.

nice tip on drilling the hole in the lip for the 1/2" 90. im gonna use that 1.

Thanks, I think it takes a 5/8" drill but I can't remember for sure - I think a 3/4" was too big but I may be wrong. Guess you'll know pretty quick if the fitting won't fit through - :D

Nice thread...stuck it up to the top! :ridinghorse:

Thanks! ----- You Dman - :D

Nice helpful thread mojo, thanks for taking the time to post it.

Agree with the wicking and the tube system to pot size ratio but I recommend either a drain filter back to the rez or hit up a fabric store and cut out big squares of nylon for your final flowering pots. This will abstain the pots from doing a blow out, which sounds better when a lady is in the equation instead of your plants. It takes a few minutes but reduces coco flowing out of the bottom of your pots exponentially.

Also, great link here to an entire top fed system and lots of info/pics/piss taking etc.

"random stuff in coco" by forty grit
https://www.thecannacabana.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6923

Thanks for posting that link, somoz. When I first set up my rez and tray combo, I used that shade cloth that they sell at casa de pot, it's really just a plastic fine mesh screen material. It still let coco through - not as much as without - and it was a pain in the ass to put into the bottom of each pot. It's not like coco was pouring out of the bottom or anything. I think I know what you're talking about with the blowouts. If you're talking about the tunneling you may get with too much volume coming down in loose coco, then I agree that's a problem but I've only had that problem when I've hand watered and poured my water in too fast. When I set up my recirc system, I decided to keep my pumps on the small side instead of the other way around just so I wouldn't have that problem. The coco I get coming out of my drain holes is minimal in the first few waterings in a new pot and almost non-existent after that. I hang a long enough piece of the wife's hose on my drains that it will stretch out to a foot or more, so it's never near full when I change it out.

Thanks again for the link

Nice sticky. I actually "invented" over similar design few years ago. Few tips. Buy fountain pumps if available they are designed to flow against gravity based on height more so than pond pumps and last longer. 280-400 is perfect for up to 12 sites. If anyone is worried about coco in res they sell actual coco container liners which double as poor man's smart pots. My suggestion is to use the bigger pump bags. They don't hinder flow nearly as much and in my case they incubate bennies perfectly as I also use these for tea bags. I rinse them out when I do weekly res cleanings with cool water as to not kill the good guys. Your tank can be muddy and no worries. Problem and it's a big one is the drain theory as a whole. IF it does ever clog enough to reduce drain back trays CAN over flow right out the sides in under 12-15mins. I prefer to have no extension on the drains creating aeration of the solution during a cycle from the splashing. Lastly a cheap fix for the equalized flow rates. Since you will already have extra spaghetti tubing. Use longer runs on the closest to the pump sites and shorter towards the end. If you have 12 or more sites you can also do your 1/2 in hose in a loop back to a T at the main pump. This will balance out your flow greatly. Sorry to hijack.

Trend

picture.php
not trying to hyjack.. Here I couple of top feed recircs..
picture.php

Roots.. First two weeks hand water ..
picture.php

Killardo.. Shit legal.. Don't know how I feel about that..

Wow, an old thread, but a good one to bump back up top. I was gifted a hydro set up that was in prototype stage back in 2002/03 that was useable in a flood drain style, or it was top feeding spegathi lines recirculating all water back to res. It was awesome and worked great. I too found larger pots just got an extra water line and all kept watered just fine. I had 6 trays that could hold 2 plants each by design. I had as many as 6 plants a tray one run scrog style under three 600 watt lamps. I still have the system today that is how well it was built.

Back