Sad day at the Reefo household

rosso reefo

pizza mystro
Well, my made in Italy Marcato Atlas pasta cranker finally bit the dust after 34 years of faithful, unlimited service..the basic part that rolls out the sheets of Pasta still works great but it's the cutter that makes fettuccine and spaghetti that finally broke..I searched the internet for just that attachment but all I can find are the single cutters, not the double attachment..
guess I'll just buy a whole new one and set the old one on display in my office..
they probably don't make em that good anymore but O-well..still can't part with it..
to many good memories of making pasta with my kids when they were little rug rats..

For those of you who don't make fresh pasta at home I recommend trying it..it's simplicity at its best..I make a batch once a week and freeze it..fresh or frozen you can't tell the difference..
lots of different recipes but this is my favorite and easiest to make..
in a food processor add 1/2 cup of semolina flour, a cup and a half of all purpose unbleached flour, a pinch of salt and dab of olive oil..with the machine running add 6 to 7 egg yolks for about 10 seconds..then add about a quarter cup of cold water with the machine running until it forms a solid ball..you might need a bit more water but don't add to much..plop it on your counter and knead it for 2 minutes, wrap in food wrap and let it rest in the fridge for 1 hour and it's set to roll out in your pasta machine or with a rolling pin..dust with flour when doing this..the rolling pin method is a pain in the ass..
you can find cheap machines for $30 but I recommend the Marcato Atlas pasta maker for around $70..

cheers and have fun..

picture.php

Thanks guys..

Mug's, there no chance in hell I'll make it to 96 but thanks for the encouragement..
to much alcohol and cigs to relieve the 16 hours a day of stress in a hot kitchen takes it's toll on ya but no regrets looking back..loved every minute of it..

yeah ec, that's the one..looks like someone washed it since I see a rust spot which is a no-no..
just needs a wipe with a dry towel and it's set to go...

cheers..

R.I.P. glad your keeping the memories alive by making it part of your office.. cool.

Never be able to replace this machinery made with old world craftmenship huh? hope that part finds it's way to ya soon... :fishing1:

Whew - pasta machine - ok.

there is a trend in restaurants here in Seattle where fancy italian pasta machines are working at the entrance to the restaurant making pasta that you will eat later... open kitchen - the start is the pasta machine.

sorry for your loss :salut:

Attachments

• pasta.jpg
    pasta.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 0
Still can't attach pics Doc because of a glitch on my PC.

it's not the rollers but the pasta cutter..

life moves on and it's not that big of deal..lol..think the problem is solved due to a generous offer from a TCC member..

I've seen those pasta machines in action JD..once in Italy..
they have a similar attachment for kitchen aid mixers but they're made of plastic and not worth the price.. :eat:

Orded the attachment today, thanks Bud..
it always amazes me how helpful TCC is..

Happy that you enjoy your Pasta maker Annaba..
since I've been freezing I use it a lot more..I can whip up a pasta dish in minutes..
Fettuccine carbonara is a big favorite here and I can have it on the table in 10 minutes..

yeah ec, that's the one..looks like someone washed it since I see a rust spot which is a no-no..
just needs a wipe with a dry towel and it's set to go...

cheers..

i'm really not sure how the rust spots got there. i haven't used the thing in ages but i suspect i may have run it through a dishwasher one day to clean it up before packing it away for a move. :dunno:
i couldn't have been more than 15 when i got it and back then i made the dough entirely by hand by dropping the eggs and water into a little well in the middle and slowly incorporating everything. i imagine your recipe yields something special using that many yolks. i rarely eat pasta these days because it just doesn't satiate me making it quite easy to overeat. on the rare occasion i do, i typically make a kale pesto. :licklips:

kale is good stuff ec but the Italian in me makes me a purist and basil, garlic, olive oil and pine nuts should be only used in making pesto..
then again, food is about what you enjoy eating and made the way you like it..I never follow a recipe and just throw in whatever make me happy..so if kale pesto works for you GO BIG..

much respect for you making pasta the old fashion way..it's fun but takes so much more work..

Back