Rooting badly wilted cuts?

Slim Pickens

I Blue my mind.
I think this topic has likely been addressed previously but....

Cuts sent in the warmer periods of the year can present a special circumstance as most here have experienced at one time or another.I received some cuts recently when the weather had abruptly turned hot after the cuts had been sent.We have all seen wilted cuts,but these were especially bad.I trimmed back the leaves and re-cut the stems and put in rockwool cubes in makeshift humidity domes.(cups on top of cups).It wasn't more than a day later that half were dead,and the others lingered for a couple more days before expiring.I have to admit that this experience caused me much distress,as I desperately wanted to save them.

So.Any advice as to what you folks might have done to increase your odds?Should I have soaked them in water before going to the cubes?Any other suggestions...tips...insight?

Last edited:
Slim the only thing I do differently is to put the cuttings in the fridge for a couple of hours first. No guarantees it actually helps :rofl:

Only ship live plant material when weather is mild...typically Spring an Fall...once the damage is done, there's nothin you, or anyone can do...sorta like forcin a dead man in the desert to drink water...it aint gonna help.

Sorry for your loss.

gotta make some manna sandwiches elsewhere. Sorry Annaba! LOL

I think your idea about soaking them in a glass of water until they come back works. As long as they aren't crispy. If they are, they're toast anyway. I always put them directly into a glass of water anytime I get any incoming clones. If I can't get to them right away I've even had them root like that. But mush, and crispy are hopeless.

The fact that someone extended a hand of generosity,and went to the trouble to pack and send cuts,only to have them die at my hand troubles me greatly.If there is a next time,into water they go.

Thanks for the responses everybody.

Slim, when I receive wilted cuts, I completely immerse the cuts in water, let um soak for a bit, and then stand up in a glass of water, by next am, they are standing up or dead.

I def go the water route as well . They need to be re hydrated . Most of the time it works well but intense heat and some cultivars have a hard time

I've had cuts sent to me or sent to others in the summer with a bit of water in the bag and wrapped in a wet paper towel..problem is from the heat they turn to mush..have had some success with giving them lots of open air and not covered with cups or a dome and good rooting gel in rapid rooters..no heat under lights with just a small 100 watt bulb 24/7 in a room at about 70 degrees..best of luck Slim and hope a few make it..its a challenge..

I've never been skunked before.I've always been able to save some,so this was an especially distressing experience.Add to the fact that I had been searching high and low for this hybrid,and it was like a gut punch.

Live and learn huh?

Yup, it's really not worth the risk to ship in hot weather. I mean, it's risky shipping clones already; if your chance of success is lower because of weather, best not to ship. September will come soon enough.

The biggest thing you can do to help save wilting cuts .. trim all your leaf material in half. this cuts
down on "Transporation" and with less green leaf the plant doesn't have to worry about keeping it ALL
alive.. soon as it roots , new growth will begin immediately.. be amazed how many may bounce back.
keep em humid but not wet and leave em be, burp fresh air few times a day.. walla.

careful feeding a plant that is stressing out.. better off letting it do what it do.. I cloned for years using absolutely no cloning gel, powder, etc.. they want to live.. luck

Yup, it's really not worth the risk to ship in hot weather. I mean, it's risky shipping clones already; if your chance of success is lower because of weather, best not to ship. September will come soon enough.
I totally agree. And the last thing I want to do Is send twice or three times because of lack of patients. Takes the fun right out of it.

Back