Plant Nutrient Deficiency Decision Key

dcyans

Aerojunkie
We must all realize that many times if not most of the time what seems like an obvious deficiency is a combination of contributing factors. By simply addressing the symptom we can actually make matters worse, for instance an obvious calcium deficiency many times is the result of high humidity inhibiting transpiration which is needed for calcium to be utilized. Other times symptoms are caused by other interactions not actual deficiencies as there is plenty of the element present!

"Induced Nutrient Deficiencies

Not all nutrient deficiencies are caused by a lack of one of the essential elements in the nutrient solution. Some may be induced by other factors even though the nutrient is well balanced and contains sufficient amounts of all elements. These induced deficiencies are one of the most confusing aspects of plant nutrition for newer growers, as the solution is not as simple as replacing the nutrient and boosting up the missing element.

Just having sufficient levels of each of the minerals required for plant growth is sometimes not enough to prevent some deficiencies. Certain factors can prevent the plant from taking up some elements and/or transporting them up to the foliage, even when they are plentiful in the solution. Common examples are calcium and iron. If the root system has been damaged in some way, through root rot or suffocation caused by overwatering and lack of aeration, pathogen attack, physical damage after transplanting or other reasons, it becomes less able to take up certain nutrients of this iron is the one that causes the most problems. Also under cool growing conditions, of if the pH becomes higher than ideal, the plant also has difficulty taking up minerals such as iron and manganese and this is why these deficiencies are some of the most common that hydroponic growers see. Adding more iron and manganese to the nutrient under these conditions won't help the root system is just unable to make use of them. For this reason when plant coloring in the tops of the plant is seen indicating an iron and/or manganese deficiency, other factors should be looked at, most notably the conditions of the root system, temperatures and solution pH.

In the early stages deficiencies can be quickly and easily dealt with so that little harm comes to the plant. Under rapid growing conditions, however, a deficiency can accelerate quickly, so in most cases a quick solution change will work as the best quick fix, while the original cause is investigated.

In well run systems using high-quality nutrient products, deficiencies are rare in most cases, but it pays to be prepared and keep a close eye on those plants."
:taken from "The Growing Edge" magazine:

Here are some good links:

Plant Abuse Chart and Photos~NEW

Nutrient Deficiency Symptoms

Nutrient Deficiencies And Toxicities

Conditions Contributing to Various Plant Nutrient Deficiencies An important part of everyones nutrient management!

Plant Nutrient Deficiency Decision Key This may or may not be helpful.

Last edited:
and one of the unsung joys of hydro is... if ya think your plants are having a food issue, just dump the res and redo it. For most it takes about 15 minutes.

A GH bloom res has a cost factor of about 16 pennys a gallon, $3.20 for a 20 gallon res.

dcyans,

Those are quick & easy to use. In just a couple of minutes I diagnosed a problem I'm having.:)

It looks like the Endless Sky needs more K in the mix. Now I've got to read about adding a good source of K. What are the chemical salts, Potassium Phosphate and Potassium Nitrate? I grew Doc's Grenadine a while back and it had a deficiency issue that I never understood too, I bet it was the same thing. Nobody else ever seemed to have any trouble growing them, obviously it's something wrong here.:(

Thanks for the great links.

peace,
GM~

great post and timely too, as i needed to consult info like this to see why my young'uns had light green leaves with dark margins. i figured it is a N deficiency or mag.

Hey D!

I remember using this a whiles back and it was a life saver. I was showing a friend recently and it looks like most of the links are down. Do you have any recommended sites to replace these old links?

round brown spots, yellow leaves.

As has been the case when googling cannabis issues, I have wasted a lot of time chasing links to read amateur diagnosis of this cannabis problem or I go to stickied threads to find the links are now dead. I've tried to determine this problem with various guides and such but nothing conclusive so far. I know this should be a SIMPLE diagnosis.

I have some large plants that have grown very dense. Also we've had a wet season, but not continuously. Wet and then hot, repete. The issue is now lots of dead vegetation and rot on the bottom layers. Above that are yellow leaves with round brown spots and further up are green leaves with round brown spots. The tops of all the branches are fine. What is it? What can I do about it, if anything? I am considering some major thinning, removing complete plants and maybe some branches. I have one plant that started flowering many weeks ago in the middle of the mass. I've pushed the adjacent plants well out of it's way. The rest of these plants have not shown sex yet (which is normal around here, any day now they should show).

So I believe that it is a bacterial spot problem that can not be effectively cured. Quite a bummer as the plants had been doing so well. The soil is just field soil turned over and prepared with organic nutrients and has been kept up with some epsom salt molasses and additional veg nutrients. I can't see removing all the infected branches as actually all branches have spots on the lower seactions. So if it is going to continue to spread I may just pull them to try and save the one flowering plant that does not seem to have this spotting though there is some rot on the lowest vegitation.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Yeah sounds like a fungus, or bacteria I've encountered the exact same thing before and could never get a definitive answer. From now on all clones get dunked in a 10% bleach solution. I know this doesn't help you with your outdoor if not in flower maybe some h202 spray action I just wouldn't mix it too strong to avoid burning the foliage, also of course not during the sunshine hours, that's probably what I would try since most are not flowering...

That's what happened to these plants looked perfect until flower started and then exact same symptoms occurred?
picture.php

thank you, airdog (I love them airedales)
I did look through that page and many others looking for the specific malady my plants are experiencing. It's not there or much of anywhere else... I did find it eventually in a couple of university websites. There are a number of black leaf spot bacterial diseases and at least one is common in hemp. It may be a bacterial disease called Xanthomonas leaf spot. Anyway, it is incurable and does winter over so planting in the same area is not a good idea. It arrived with the wet weather we've been having all spring-summer so far. My solution is to remove all the effected leaves and to disinfect the area around the plants with a bleach/water solution. I can try a potassium bicarbonate to reduce new outbreak of spotting. It may not work, it's really all up to the weather. I thought of removing the five infected plants leaving the one flowering plant not showing symptoms and the three other MAF also showing no symptoms in a different location (60' away). But the wife tells me to not do that. The spores are there in the area and removing the plants now may not do much. I did push the plants away from that one uninfected plant to give it better air circulation. Wish me luck.

Update;
I got to work right off as it is going to be a scorcher today. I see that only one plant really has the black spots. So I took it down. The plant and debris half filled a 60 gallon drum. This plant was so large and they are all so close together it was difficult to tell that. The budding plant has lots of bud rot already on the lower sections so I stripped off that and washed it off with bicarbonate and will continue to monitor... I raked up all the debris and the mulch around all the plants and trimmed a bit of the lowers to air things out a bit. I'll probably do a little more the next nice day (nice, like no beating down sun, high dewpoint and temperatures).

Last edited:
almost sounds like over watering to me..killing fungus with a good spray of oxidate usually works for me..

yes a pic would be helpful..

Not overwater, I never watered and the drainage is very good (tiled actually). Black spot bacteria is not effectively treatable once it starts. It was one plant that developed the black spot. I removed that plant. I treated the other plants with Serenade. They were not yet budded and I've not seen any recurrence. Not they are budded up nicely. A plant next to it developed bud rot and was removed. It was crowded in the middle of a row and didn't have good air circulation. A MAF plant (one of three) in another location developed bud rot and was removed. The other two MAF are just about done and doing well.

As far as a photo, sorry. I didn't get it. But imagine yellow leaves with brown/black circular spots, some as large as a dime all over them. The internal leaves did die right off to brown.

Almost all the plant abuse and deficiency links in dycans first post all seem to be broken links except for one or two?

Back