Ph run off

weedy

RODEO TIME OL’SON
How important is it to check ph- runoff?? I am have some issues with a few plants.

I am using botanicair coco.

Nuts are: 1/2 streagth, 3 part gen hydro, cal-mag, roots elixir?

Ph: 5.6-5.8

E.c.:1.0-1.1

Check run-off todAy, and it is 4.2.

So is the ph run off important? How do I get it back to the run-off to what I put in? Just keep dumping the 5.8ph nutes till is comes up? Or do I need to make the nutes a higher ph to bring the ph up??

...also, think about using different Ca/Mg products. High N for veg, very low N (or zero N) for Flower. The Nectar of Gods Ca/Mg is great for flower -- it doesn't have any Nitrgoen.....

i use three different Ca/Mg products for different growth phases....

;)

i am using DYNA-GRo Pro-TeKt says it is 0-0-3

guess i should edit that first post no cal/mag

This is something that people have differentiating opinion on. I can tell you that I check my runoffs. If my plants are healthy, I get a little boost in my PH runoff or it stays steady. Every time my plants have been unhealthy, the PH runoff would be low in the low 5s. I have never had such a chance in runoff and not seen problems.

i water coco at 6 or even higher - i find that if the solution is on the weak side (which i would say yours is) the runoff ph will swing down

also if I use organic additives or sea green the ph will swing down

there were many things said about coco on forums that I find not to be true - ie: ph works better for me if its 6-6.2 - I never give coco plain water - i dont let coco dry out - i dont find it necessary to water to 20% runoff

also runoff ph isnt the most accurate - so keep that in mind

I would try a mix at 6-6.2 the next 2 waterings with a ec bump to at least 1.4 (or higher if the plants are well established) and then check your runoff

do the plants look fine?

Dudded plants look fine before they dud. FYI, I feed coco at 5.8ph. It goes to 5.9-6.0 on the runoff when healthy. Runoff PH will tell you what the roots are doing before the plant has shown the affects.

Also, I get we all are different and have different results. Don't trust us. Do your own research and experimentation. I have found that a 6.2 PH will cause lockouts for me in coco. Last thing, I know this goes against RJ, but I would be very hesistant to raise EC on a dropping PH runoff. If anything, I would think you want to flush.

i havent ever had anything dud (ie just shitting the bed for no reason) - i am just assuming the plants and roots are healthy and established

in any grow where i saw pythium you could smell it in the medium or the runoff

and to clarify I only suggest 6.2 bc the ph is so low - 6 is my standard and i will sometimes go with 6.2 with organic mix or tea (fulvic, sea green, worm poop insect frass etc) I am trying make my medium a diverse ecosystem for micros and bennies

dont see any point of flushing as it relates to ec as his comes out at or lower then what it goes in - this to me indicates they could eat more and i feed rooted cuts 1.0 so this seems low for established plants

of course your mileage may vary due to if you use ro water - what type of coco you use - if the coco is amended or a 50/50 mix etc etc

@hendo = a serious question:
so if your not suffering from pythium why would you not push the plant? I think I would rather find out sooner than later if it was "dudding" - again I have not seen this happen - i have always been able to find the cause of any issues

everyone is an expert when it comes to coco. everyone swears on their own methods and i think its mostly because coco is very very forgiving.
that being said you can have great looking bud grown in coco but have the yields suffer or other things because not everything is correct. although the plants themselves might look very happy.

i checked run off for years, don't bother anymore. i don't even water with run off. in fact like someone above said, i don't follow most tips people give on coco. and i get great yields and quality. too many ways to skin the cat. and will say from personal experience only that run off ph or ppm doesn't always count for much.

i havent ever had anything dud (ie just shitting the bed for no reason) - i am just assuming the plants and roots are healthy and established

in any grow where i saw pythium you could smell it in the medium or the runoff

and to clarify I only suggest 6.2 bc the ph is so low - 6 is my standard and i will sometimes go with 6.2 with organic mix or tea (fulvic, sea green, worm poop insect frass etc) I am trying make my medium a diverse ecosystem for micros and bennies

dont see any point of flushing as it relates to ec as his comes out at or lower then what it goes in - this to me indicates they could eat more and i feed rooted cuts 1.0 so this seems low for established plants

of course your mileage may vary due to if you use ro water - what type of coco you use - if the coco is amended or a 50/50 mix etc etc

@hendo = a serious question:
so if your not suffering from pythium why would you not push the plant? I think I would rather find out sooner than later if it was "dudding" - again I have not seen this happen - i have always been able to find the cause of any issues

Rollin J - At the time, I had no idea why my PH was dropping. My roots were screwed because I ended up having root aphids. My dropping PH is the only thing that the set me off before the duds. Above coco, the plants looked beautiful even with root aphids. That's why pushing it was just killing me at the time.

I don't doubt your good results dude. I'm just talking about my methods and circumstances.

I've had same results with Sea Green dropping ph. What does root elixir do to the ph? I've only used Canna notes in coco although I used GH in soil less for years with zero issues.

I use to agree,,,however this run currently input ph of 4.7 and rose it up to 5.2 mid bloom. Looking freakishly big and healthy for whatever reason.

I agree with Rollin J

"there were many things said about coco on forums that I find not to be true - ie: ph works better for me if its 6-6.2 - I never give coco plain water - i dont let coco dry out - i dont find it necessary to water to 20% runoff"

ph in coco should run at 6.0-6.1 or so. Coco is not hydro. Period. FLush your pots until you get zero ppms in the run off. let them dry a bit and re-feed at a ph of 6.0-6.1. Also, add in a good amount of root inoculants, like Great White or Oregonism. Unlike soil, there is no beneficial bacteria or beneficial fungi in coco, unless you add it in. And the roots need those beneficials. I run AN Voodoo Juice AND Oregonsim and I haven't had much in the way of problems for a while now

I think part of what is happening here were comparing several different things.

Hendo uses a organic base and coco, it makes sense that the PH would drift from time to time as in combination to the H&G the micro organisms are producing their own waste (food for the plant) and depending on what their eating and how much O2 is available the PH will change, there is a big difference between feeding the medium and feeding the plant.
This is why we found, when adding organics, mixing and serving the nutrients right way worked best for us we don't recirculate just pour in enough till some comes out the bottom every 30 hours mixed fresh each time.

OP is using GH as from what I have read no organic additives, so other than the coco PH buffer there shouldn't be any swings in the formula, my guess is your using to little nutrients with too much water, and flushing the calcium and magnesium out of the medium, post a picture ill bet they are striping or yellowing along the edges.

I would add Epsom salts and Calmagic @

Epsom salts 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons

CalMagic @ 3ml per gallon

Nutrients at close to full strength, if you feel you have to cut them back mix the cal mag and salts at correct strength per gallon not 1/2 or 1/3.

This has really helped us when we started out, using H&G out of the bottle we experienced deficiencies right away, by adding the above it turned them around pretty much overnight.

always had problems with botanicare coco runoff. canna seems the most stable, bcuzz usually will runoff 6.4+/- if feeding 5.8, which could possibly be a good drift.

Back