Pest Identification

GreenGrocer

Hi all,

I have been having issues this grow with Leaf Miners and Horn Worms. I thought I would put up some pics and info on what I am doing. Also hoping others will do the same so we could create a sort of library of bug infestation pics and remedies.

So here goes

====================================

First & Second shot is front and back side of tomatoe plant with leaf miners

Third is pne of my leaves eaten by a worm

Fourth is a picture of worm damage on another plant.

My nursery said BT and Neem would work to kill these bastards. If not will be looking for something else. Met52 perhaps.

Hope we get others to post their own pics. Its not my thread, this could be a reference for any of us with bug issues and a camera.

Attachments

• 8-12-1.jpg
    8-12-1.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 8-12-2.jpg
    8-12-2.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 8-11-11.jpg
    8-11-11.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Rose_Slugs315.jpg
    Rose_Slugs315.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 3
Does it do better? Will it kill eggs too? Thanks! OK so I just read and it says it doesnt kill eggs but it causes the bugs to go into a prolonged spasm that ends in death. GOOD! I bought some this morning! WOOT!

Thanks East Coast!! Oh and - its the ONLY thing that works on Leaf Miners - BT doesnt nor does Neem. FWIW hope this helps.

Last edited:
Does it do better? Will it kill eggs too? Thanks!

i'm not sure how effective BT is on leaf miners. they were destroying my amaranthaceae (chard, beets, spinach) and spinosad was recommended which works exceptionally with regular applications. i've never felt the need to use it on tomatoes. not sure how effective it is on eggs. i also avoid using it anywhere bees feed. :2c:

How many applications did you make before seeing results ? Do you recall how long it took? Days? Weeks? Thanks again

Says 0.005% Spinosyn A&D Thats pretty dilute

(0.043mL/946mL bottle)

Well lets see how this stuff works. Gonna OPEN A CAN OF WHOOPASS on em now!!

FROM DOW CHEMICAL SITE:

Because of its high efficacy, use rates for spinosad are generally low, in the ounces per acre or grams/hectare range. Spinosad has contact activity on virtually all life stages of a pest including egg, larvae and adult. Eggs must be sprayed directly but larvae and adults can be effectively dosed through contact with treated surfaces. Spinosad is most effective when eaten by insect pests. Foliar formulations of spinosad are not highly systemic, however, translaminar activity is evident

Incests article: Insecticide effects on Tomatoe Leafminer

Notable differences in mortality rates from exposure to zeolites
compared to other products, such as kaolin, its formulated product Surround, and the insecticide
spinosad, were observed. Kaolin and Surround exhibited little or no effect for both application
methods, while the hatch rate was reduced by 95% when spinosad was applied topically. Spinosad
yielded egg and larvae mortality rates of 100% for both application methods.

PS a couple links to leaf miner into(T.Absoluta)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuta_absoluta

http://www.cabi.org/isc/datasheet/49260

http://www.irac-online.org/documents/tuta-absoluta-irm-booklet/

Comparison of Bioinsectides Spinosad rated 1st:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S138266891630014X

Abstract

The wheat head armyworm, Dargida (previously Faronta) diffusa (Walker) (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae), is widely distributed in North American grasslands and is most common on the Great Plains, where it is often a serious pest of corn and cereal crops. Six commercially available botanical or microbial insecticides used against D. diffusa were tested in the laboratory: Entrust® WP (spinosad 80%), Mycotrol® ESO (Beauveria bassiana GHA), Aza-Direct® (azadirachtin), Met52® EC (Metarhizium brunneum F52), Xpectro® OD (Beauveria bassiana GHA + pyrethrins), and Xpulse® OD (Beauveria bassiana GHA + azadirachtin). Concentrations of 0.1, 0.5, 1.0 and 2.0 fold the lowest labelled rates of formulated products were tested for all products, while for Entrust WP additional concentrations of 0.001 and 0.01 fold the label rates were also assessed. Survival rates were determined from larval mortality at 1–9 days post treatment application. We found that among the tested chemicals, Entrust® (spinosad) was the most effective, causing 83–100% mortality (0–17% survival rate) at day 3 across all concentrations. The others, in order of efficacy from most to least, were Xpectro® (B. bassiana GHA + pyrethrins), Xpulse®OD (B. bassiana GHA + azadirachtin), Aza-Direct® (azadirachtin), Met52® EC (M. brunneum F52), and Mycotrol® ESO (B. bassiana GHA). These products and entomopathogenic fungi caused 70–100% mortality (0–30% survivability) from days 7 to 9. The tested products and entomopathogenic fungi can be used in management of D. diffusa.

Attachments

• Spinosad.jpg
    Spinosad.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I use Captain Jacks Spinosad for most everything in veg. I TRY and not use anything in flower. Didn't know it worked on eggs though. For eggs I use Green Clean....although I haven't had mites in years. The only bug I have been dealing with recently is Thrips. I have a few right now. I seem to get them every spring. Usually get rid of them after a couple of applications but this year they have been a constant problem.

In the veggie garden Sevin on early plants. Never on any budding plants. My main problem outside is flea beatles which come mostly early in the spring. I see thrips and mites on the plants but the natural predators seem to keep them under control. I never kill a snake or spiders....love the Lady Bugs as well.

Hi all,

Found this PDF from BASF with some pics in it and explanations of what many insecticides do. It doesnt have as much about the natural kind (meant for larger farms I think) but still interesting info.

http://www.ballpublishing.com/pdf/2016_insecticide.pdf

Does Captain Jacks come in a handspray or is it only sold as the one that connects to the end of the hose?

Last edited:
Hi all,

Found this PDF from BASF with some pics in it and explanations of what many insecticides do. It doesnt have as much about the natural kind (meant for larger farms I think) but still interesting info.

http://www.ballpublishing.com/pdf/2016_insecticide.pdf

Does Captain Jacks come in a handspray or is it only sold as the one that connects to the end of the hose?

Comes in quarts for about $10. You can order it on line if there isn't a nursery near you.

How many applications did you make before seeing results ? Do you recall how long it took? Days? Weeks? Thanks again

Says 0.005% Spinosyn A&D Thats pretty dilute.

you should see results quickly, although you will probably want to re-apply it regularly. as Put mentioned, you can find bottles of concentrate at most garden/home centers. 35/qt on amazon ATM.

Another tip. You need a 360 sprayer. This allows you to spray both the tops and bottoms of the leaf. You can just get the sprayer head at most grow stores. I am always replacing the heads as they have a tendency to clog after some time.

got a good price on Captain jacks ~$10 at Lowes and pick up the pots and my tomatoies I just walk around them and cover them. I have given 2 applications now and will hold off a bit. My next spray will be some Seaweed Extract and hope for the best. Also removed the worst looking leaves. What a tough season but the plants look resilient even so. Thanks to all for the help!
:ty:

Help with ID here?

wha-izit?

attachment.php

when it sensed my presents it stood on it's head, must have a defensive spray or sumtin.

attachment.php

Attachments

• bug1.JPG
    bug1.JPG
    199.7 KB · Views: 72
  • bug2.JPG
    bug2.JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 73
common sulphur mixed to spray 15 ml / litre should whomp em

i forget their name we just had em non our tomatos and strawberries..sulphur did it..

Ladybug Pupae?

wha-izit?

I think she be a Ladybug Pupae? If so, she's your friend in the garden mate, maybe don't kill her or spray her until you get to know her better?

Search "Ladybug Pupae" and look at a few images.

Almost looks like Potato Bug Larvae, but those little caterpillar hairs showing didn't fit, and the underside shot. Your pics are nice, very helpful detail. And the headstand observation, nice fieldwork!

I've never seen one in the wild, but will be on the lookout! Thanks for sharing!

https://www.wildgratitude.com/meaning-of-ladybug-spirit-animal/

Back