Optimum Height for scrog screen?

Clicker

Dazed and Confused
I am currently building some milk crate grow tuns with a removable built in scrog screen. The posts will be permanent and the screen on top removable. So my posts need to be a set height. What would be the best height above the medium?? 18" 2 feet?

Peace

Click

I'm pretty new at it myself, doing my second run now but I did a ton of research on the technique before building mine. I veg in 1 gallon bags and try and get them to 18"-24" with 4 main shoots and then transplant into 3 gallon pots and put them under the screen. So with my setup my screen is 28" above the floor or 18" above the pot. I then veg for an other 2 weeks and as the main shoots come up I LST or Super crop them as the come above the screen keeping them under it. Once I flip 12/12 I keep the main shoots attached to the screen with bread bag ties while allowing the secondary shoots to catch up.

It all boils down to how tall are you going to grow them before you put them under the screen and how long are you going to veg them once they are under. I also basically cut all branching off up too 3 nodes below the top growth tip also...nothing below that is going to get any light anyways by the time they are done.

My first time came out all right but I fk'd up and didn't control things well enough during the stretch. I predict a 100% improvement this time around.

Good luck

The thing I see is if your going to scrog then it definitely makes a difference between soil (container) growing and hydro. With soil you'll be transplanting unless you go right into 3-5 gal pots. Hydro on the other hand you can train as soon as the plants hit the screen the biggest concern here IME is allowing enough room under the screen to allow for good airflow up through the screen this can be very important! I when scrogging have one or two small fans dedicated to airflow under the screen anyway. Other than that it's a matter of how long you want to veg IMHO this can easily be overdone (often) wasting time as either way your only going to fill your screen anyway. I wouldn't go more than 12in ever there's no need IMHO it's a waste of time, nutes and energy both the plants and mine. Everything under the screen gets trimmed off of course. Also you need to take into account stretch so flip early enough so you have enough screen.

Might also depend on how you are scroggin. Are you bending the stems under the screen or just using the screen as support/level-indicator? Then, as mentioned, how long are you going to need to 'fill in' the screen, or will you have numbers to 'fill' the screen from the start? How much stretch and how deep the penetration of the light (or the available 'working distance' from the light...etc. I don't know if you can get a pat answer to the question, but we can hit you with situations to consider...:damnhippie:

Use PVC so you can make it adjustable, according to pot size and strain stretch.

Use PVC so you can make it adjustable, according to pot size and strain stretch.

Ahhh answered my question there Seamaiden....Thats exactly what needs to happen with a soil grow!!!

I cant wait to SCROG my soil crop... Ill be starting soon! :confetti:

I measured how high it needed to be for me to reach all the way to the back of the screen underneath. For me , that was exactly 13 inches above the pots to reach 4.5 feet back.

Back