New'b Fert ?

BCW1

Great Lakes Med user
I have always for the most part been a hydro guy with DWC being what I think I am most knowledgeable with and then coco passively hand feeding and watering. Starting back up after a good break I am using FF Ocean which I have used before and I think for most strains or average eaters after repotting possibly the soil is good for feeding maybe 2 weeks +/- before seeing slowed growth and nutrient depletion. Seems N depletes first and thus yellowing at the bottom most leaf sets.

This post may not only contain a new'b fertilizer math ratio question but also might have a seemingly lazy question s apologies and thanks.

First question is for a soil mix. For example I know Subcool always posted about his "super soil" mix and I know there are many others but are these soil mixes super because they have the proper amount of everything to last through a complete life cycle of a plant or even with these super soil type recipes do you still have to have a secondary feeding regimen? In short is there a soil mix that requires no additional feeding or delivery method other than what is available in the mix? Just add water?

I have used FF for years at times for starting out like I am now and it seemingly being less work or involved maintenance wise than hydro at least Passively with coco and basic manual DWC using no automation type tools such as reservoir and level floats for fill back.

Last question seems obvious to me and it makes sense but I don't know for sure on a mathematical ratio level but generally the first feeding I give seedlings is Cal/Mag and a root hormone/enhancer. for the first two feedings with one watering in-between then I start with the higher NPK- ferts

Using two different sources for the CalMag and the Root hormone one has ratios of

3-0-0 - CalMag
1-0.5-1 = Root hormone or enhancer

Is it as easy as adding the two for ratio? So 4-0.5-1? I may be missing out by not starting straight away with the heavier hitter NPK ferts but seems to work for me the past few times I have followed this when I started using soil again.

Any thoughts and sorry to seem lazy lol I know how to use search just not sure how to word what I am asking to find it in search.

Keep Rockin

I am now lol. Hell getting old, cant see, hear or remember : )

Thanks Big have a awesome day brother

3-0-0 - CalMag
1-0.5-1 = Root hormone or enhancer

Is it as easy as adding the two for ratio? So 4-0.5-1?

No.

The numbers represent the minimum percentage of each element in the fert.
i.e.:
The CalMag is at least 3% N.
The Root hormone is at least 4% N, .5% P, and 1% K.

If you mixed equal parts, you could average them...i.e. 3.5 - .25 - .5

If you mixed different amounts, you would have to do a weighted average.
For instance if you did 4 parts CalMag (80%) and 1 part Root hormone (20%), it would be...
(3x.8 + 4x.2) N, .5x.2 P, and 1x.2 K
...or...
3.2 - .1 - .2

:puffpuffpass:

Back