Mystery Adventurine sherlock and my old faithful oney

Oohhhhhh, you scared me there for a second, I though it was something like, "don't take this the wrong way, but"....I hate this thing, you should quit blowing. Well, that was a much happier ending!!! So did you see what I was saying about that shape, I love the feel and way the air flows. That's always been my favorite shape and size to smoke out of, I couldn't be happier that you will get to use it. I make so much glass but I don't get many chances to see people enjoy the work. I'd love to see some more pics, you'll see it's hard to capture that sparkle, I can never quite get the pics to look like the real thing. Happy Holidays!!

:teeth: I just couldn't resist getting you going for just a moment there. Why? Because, we spent such a while talking about your work and you were so generous to say that if there was something I didn't quite like you'd work out a piece for me and all of that.

And then we got there and I looked at it and thought, "My God, what could I possibly change about this?" It is as if it were made for me, and I'm not talking about the using of it right now, I'm discussing solely the aesthetics of the piece. The colors used could NOT have been more perfect for a Sea-thing.

May I go on a bit more?

As I do use it more, as I hold and explore and examine it I keep discovering new things. This is one of my favorite aspects of good art, the discovery. The light completely rules how it appeals and what features it shows. I thought the glass was more opaque, and then last night I was here by the computer and there was only the light of my desk lamp coming through the back. The glass became mutable once again and lost all opacity, all those properties fell away and it became nothing but translucent fluid, or smoke itself. I was completely surprised by this (as I was by the other piece I'll photograph before I use today) because of the way the light had been being refracted back out of the glass in other light.

It is like the ocean, the sea, a lake, a stream, a pond. It is water, and I have a real 'thing' for water.

Now, Dave loves it because he says it totally looks like a Hobbit pipe. So I told him to get out his copy of the Silmarillion and we'll name it, because a heady piece like that deserves a name.

I love smokin' my Hobbit pipe, and it's inspired him to suggest that HE might like smokin' out of it, too. YES! I love the shape and the way it rests in my hand, it is very easy to use despite being a shape I'm not accustomed to, yet. It's almost too easy to hit, almost hurt myself a couple of times yesterday.

:bigarmhug: <--- Be warned, duzt, I give big ol' soft & cushy hugs, and you've got 'em coming.

P.S. The third piece is going to be a gift to someone who usually smokes out of bubblers. The young man is not so communicative, but if he likes you know it. If he doesn't like it then I'm keeping it for myself!

Last edited:
hey sportster, didn't notice the post. By percs, do you mean ash catcher glass on glass pulls or just bubblers in general? Not sure what you mean by percs because that could be a lot of different things. Your post sounds kinda angry; people do miss things here on occasion, no bad intentions, just overlooked it.

Nooooo....I am not angry, and I do understand about missing posts, I do it everyday ;)

I didn't realize that percs meant so many different things....age I reckon!! :poke:

Anywho, what I been looking for is a good double perc tube/bong....well, it doesn't have to be a double perc, slides not glass on glass...I hear they break pretty easy?? but for the most part, I am just shopping around, thought I'd start at the sites I work at, get a feel for whats out there and you were the 1st glass artist I ran into here.....or this thread rather and so.......welp, here I am!!! OH YEAH, yer gonna have to school this old fart on what an "ash catcher" is....I mean it sounds pretty cut an dry, pretty easy to know what its purpose is.....BUT, I have no idea what your talking about!!! :confused:

I found one at the local glass shop here in town, but I am not sure I like it...single perc, real plain, a fricken drum for a slide and so on....Sooo, thought I'd start at the sites, instead of places where folks like Salt fecthes a few hun for a side....even tho they are badass, I am just too old to pay that kinda price for a smoking tool!!!

excuse the ramble'n......hell, I even lost myself on this one!!! :spruce_up:

I didn't look at any work that required water, Sportster, though I do remember seeing... I don't know what you're supposed to call them, the bowls for bongs with the glass piece, which I think is the slide. And chillums, some really cool chillums.

Duzt, I've taken some pix. The color rendition is a little off because of something that'll make me rant. But I think I got certain qualities of the glass that are hard to capture in still photography.
:dunno:

Either way, I haven't had the heart to dirty up the second piece, and I adore using the sherly. She needs a name, definitely.

Hey Sportster, the glass on glass pulls are good as long as they are made right (the joint should be close to the bowl). An ash catcher is where the pull carb has a downstem with water so the smoke flows throw it to catch the ash and chunks and the smoke then goes through into the main chamber in the bong. I don't make any bongs just because the market is saturated and you need a lathe to make any money. I do make heady bubblers though and I enjoy the engineering of them to make them smoke smooth and bubble well. Usually any good headshop will be able to have something made for you if see something you like but want something a bit different, as long as you are spending a bit anyway.

Seamaiden, you got better pics, the colors come through, but it's still always hard to show how the light reflects and transmits differently. I hope she becomes your new best friend. :bong2:

Oh, and just run hot tap water through them to warm and rinse the chunky stuff and then salt and alcohol (shake carefully so it doesn't fly out of your hands for a minute, rinse with hot water, repeat alcohol and tablespoon salt and then rinse very well with warm water). Let them dry out and your good to go. Enjoy!!

She is my new best friend, duzt, and I am very proud to be her owner. I got more alcohol, we always use Kosher salt, so I'm good there. I was a little worried about using alcohol on the sherly, so it's good to know it's not a problem. I remember reading that with some glass you can't or shouldn't use the rubbing alcohol, but I bet that's with cheap glasses.

Hey Sportster, the glass on glass pulls are good as long as they are made right (the joint should be close to the bowl). An ash catcher is where the pull carb has a downstem with water so the smoke flows throw it to catch the ash and chunks and the smoke then goes through into the main chamber in the bong. I don't make any bongs just because the market is saturated and you need a lathe to make any money. I do make heady bubblers though and I enjoy the engineering of them to make them smoke smooth and bubble well. Usually any good headshop will be able to have something made for you if see something you like but want something a bit different, as long as you are spending a bit anyway.

Ok cool about not making bongs, I didn't realize you needed a lathe to make 'em....makes sense tho, come on over to my shop, I'll let yaz borrow mine ;)
Anywho...again, thanks for the glass education...I am a welder/metal fab'r by trade so I kinda understand the glass thing....much lower melting points :laugh:

No...we don't have any "good" headshops in my town (hard to believe being in Oregon..) and what the local store does have is production made glass, nothing personal, or custom can be made...I've offered to pay whatever price, just to see if I could muster up a blower...nope!!! its cool...their loss!!! :juggle:

The ashcatchers I googled right after I made my last post...JESUS, I saw bong with a ton of shit attached to the bowl, some of it looked real cool....some looked like I'd break it just trying to figure out how to smoke outta it....LOL!! Some looked like a contraption you'd see in Dr Suess's "Whoville.." stories.... :laugh: And some looked down right awesome...I tried to navigate around that site you are at duzt and got lost and really couldn't find your work, just one item...LOL!!....That Salt fella does some real kickass slide work (bowls...I assume are called "slides"??..) and "Ghost's is cool work too...as I am sure both those cats fetch ~high~ dollar prices...someday I'll start a collection of their work, but in the mean time...I want to try out "percs" see if they are really worth the money one can spend on one!!

Ok my friend....again, Thanks very much for the "glass" lesson, and your time to explain to this old grower/stoner :gramps: I do apperciate your work too, very cool pipes and bubblers...which I do have a couple (again...production type, not custom) and they are ok, but a bitch to clean and fill up with water....and they don't seem to make them with a defuser stem...or removable for that matter, to make cleaning easier!!

Stay Safe...

Wait, what site he's at?

Here, how about some chocolate diesel while we stare at all the purty glass?
:puffpuffpass:

Hey sportster and seamaiden. I used to post over there (http://www.glasspipes.org/dustin) and there are some amazing blowers. I started blowing with A.J. and worked in Miami with him for a while and know a lot of the East coast cats, great blowers for sure. You can find bubblers with glass on glass pull carbs and removable slides that are diffused too. For hard to clean pieces, try some grunge off, rinse with hot water and clean the piece well, use a half cap of grunge off (coat the inside well) and let sit an hour or two. Then pour the grunge off into a new container (it can be reused) and rinse the glass well with warm water and you are good.

Ohh, and to see some of the best of the best, check out smiley, he does some crazy work, one of the best out there (along with J-Sun Lee of course)

http://www.glasspipes.org/Smiley

Last edited:
Ever thought of putting some of these up on the Cabana Market since the Holidays are coming up and folks need cool presents ?? :dunno:

I bet he does! I broke the black 'daily' piece, can't afford to replace a damn thing right now. :(

Sportster, you dont need a lathe to make a bong... you can make it on a bench torch... granted it is difficult, you just have to make it in sections and it obviously cant be too big... I watched someone in the shop make a 1 and a 1/2 footer on the bench the other day it came out a little crooked but it was his first try... and duzt, amazing work you have thanks for sharing... i am truly inspired to try some new things

Back