My Unoriginal Ideas on Stabilizing your own Variety of Cannabis

• Thread starter suzy cremecheese
  • Start date
how hard is it to stabilize a trait like potency? would it take 2 grows or 3 ?

Reactions: mre
great thread, been workin some beans for a time now, i do keep each generation usin multiple males.

anyway, i found a nice plant, so wanted more of this plant in a population. did 2 filial gens, without any decent results. so i did a BX, and just like the numbers got 33% with what i was wantin, pretty happy with the results, so did a BX2(2males), there just about done. expectin to see 66% this round.

usin small populations 20 a shot or less, in this off shoot line, has been fun and learned alot. able to recognize traits early on in plants and things like that. you can almost pretty much tell how the plant is goin to turn out.

im growin some of the outcrosses with some of the males, and even if the growth of the plant is far off from the males, you can still see certain traits that your familiar with.

anyway the point bein the BX brought out the traits i was lookin for, were the filial gens didnt. at least as far as the numbers i run:D

wow this is the best thread i have read in a long time---thanks all--much appreciated.

Hi suzy sweety,
i see u are up to the usual trying to hold it down with respects to breeding the sacred plant.

i don't think stabiliztion is all that stright forward though.

if you know a good formula for stabilizing a strain please let me know ok. thx. and keep up the good work :wavey:

just an old grower that has grown the same MonkeyPaw/Skunk hybrid for about 20 yrs outside, haven't noticed any loss in potency, still vigorous, but not like the first couple years. Looks sativa like with the old skunk/pine smell when picked and dried, packs a wallop. Ask Beacon if its any good. I had no idee there were so many diff strains around and grown and developed. I just kept the one I found way back when, and kept her goin. So what does that mean, exactly? An IBL or f20? Wow, Im just a hillbilly, I just kept growin what I had. I love the computer and this site now that I found it.:cigar3:

ok boalley, let me give you a little advice if you don't mind....Hold On To Your MonkeyPaw/Skunk, and don't outcross it with another strain and lose the original, i know you probably know this, or may not, but many of the strains that you could have bought 20 years ago are no more. keep your shit strong you old hilbilly you!!

welcome to the computer bro! you are in for some long nights :D

ok boalley, let me give you a little advice if you don't mind....Hold On To Your MonkeyPaw/Skunk, and don't outcross it with another strain and lose the original, i know you probably know this, or may not, but many of the strains that you could have bought 20 years ago are no more. keep your shit strong you old hilbilly you!!

welcome to the computer bro! you are in for some long nights :D

done did and thank you:puffpuffpass:

good suzy, i am glad you are still here, as i value both yours and hybs views on breeding cannabis, even though i may not always agree with either of you, i hope you do continue to give your opinions on the state of cannabis breeding as i for one have always enjoyed reading your material!!

aloha!

what happenned to hyb's posts? IMNSHO he is one of the community's most valuable resources when it comes to discussions on breeding, genetics, preservation etc.... I hope he has not been ostracised from tcc for speaking unpopular truths...

-Chimera

Any in particular?

what happened to hyb's posts? ... I hope he has not been ostracised from tcc for speaking unpopular truths...
-Chimera

Haven't seen any vitriolic threads or flame-fests here.

The Hyb handle's familiar from back in the OG/CW era ... but for some reason, it never made much of an impression, one way or the other.

So, cut to the chase ... what were Hyb's "Top Five Unpopular Truths"?

What did he say that people just didn't want to hear?

Was Hyb any worse than a certain "Rice Relative"?

I want to believe he wasn't let go for speaking unpopular truths. I'm under the impression that he was banned for the way he said them. I understand it but I really wish his old posts weren't deleted. He may have been a dick, he'd be the first to admit it, it may have counteracted his efforts to educate, but he was right about a great deal, in fact most of what he rallied on about.

The fact that he didn't have the patience to coat it with sugar shouldn't have gotten his old posts deleted. There was a great deal of valuable info in there that I assume we can't get back. It's the community that suffers for the loss of those posts, not hyb, he probably won't ever have the opportunity to find out they're gone.

It's the community that suffers for the loss of those posts, not hyb, he probably won't ever have the opportunity to find out they're gone.

I quite agree, I found his posts useful....

How can we use it tho and why didnt he ever give Solutions to the never ending bashing of any Breeding process he condemned...

Hyb did offer solutions but they weren't the type of solutions that anyone wanted to hear. He was of the opinion that the Cannabis gene pool can't be trusted to layman in the political/ legal climate we have.

If there was real, legitimate, Cannabis breeding being done by professional, experienced, private and university breeders on the large scale, as well as real preservation projects going on, then the "work" of the amateur could not have a significant negative impact on the gene pool. In fact, in that case it could be used to supplement the work of professional breeders.

The only effective and complete solution is worldwide decriminalization and eventually complete legalization and deregulation. In a situation like that a hobby breeder/ preservationist may actually do more good than a professional breeding program. Until we make progress here everything positive that an amateur breeder does is nothing more than a finger in a dike that the masses are attacking with pickaxes.

The laymen have repeatedly shown that their interest is not in the preservation, improvement, or long term survival of the Cannabis species by putting their own interests before that of the species regardless of what Hyb said or how many ways he said it. This applies specifically to the "breeders" that have been motivated by nothing but profit/ name recognition and secondarily by the small scale hobby seed makers motivated by producing something different, now, regardless of what may be lost in the process.

You can appreciate art.

You can read every book there is about art.

You can even teach art.

But none of these things will make you an artist.

Back