My Unoriginal Ideas on Stabilizing your own Variety of Cannabis

• Thread starter suzy cremecheese
  • Start date
great read! love these kinds of talks!

I am a total closet hack and make seeds all the time.:dunno:

I would like to preserve cannabis and try and do open pollenations when possible. It is very hard to find pure landrace strains and esp in large numbers. I would grow 50 lots of varieties and make seeds, love making seeds every time I grow. where can a guy find some good cheap 50 lots of landrace seeds?

I ordered some mighty mite, 10 seeds , did an open pollenation with 6 males and 3 females and kept things small only getting 100 seeds. Would there be any point In my growing out the 100 and doing another open seeding? I think I read that the breeder has already inbred it for 7 generations, should be quite the bottleneck? I was going to select the most vigorous from the 100 and make hybrids with both the males and females with other strains using as large a population as possible from those as well.

I have a question for the experts.

Say there was a rare thai or mexican strain and many of the population had hermaphrodite traits. In order to preserve the genetics should the whole population be used? would the hermy plants contain valuable genes that would be important?

thanks!

PEAS :dancer:

Say there was a rare thai or mexican strain and many of the population had hermaphrodite traits. In order to preserve the genetics should the whole population be used? Would the hermy plants contain valuable genes that would be important?

Theoretically, due to linkage, some potentially valuable traits/ genetics may travel with the herm traits... sure this linkage can be broken but is unlikely to be done in small populations with tightly linked genes.

Thanks for the reply Suzy!!

I may have found a collector to work with, hoping to do some open pollinations with some of his older more rare stock!!

Viva Sativa!!!

open pollinations all the way!!!

PEAS:yum:

Back