Mother plant, from seed or clone?

capdistdank

Good day everyone. I read somewhere that it's better to keep a mother plant from seed, rather than a clone. They referred to it as "seed vigor". I know most people will take clones, flower the mother, and decide if they want to keep a clone as a mother. But I'd think you could flower the clones and decide if you want to keep the mother from seed. Is there a difference? Inquiring minds want to know! Well, mine does, lol. I've also heard or read that some plants don't clone as easily as others. I appreciate any input the community may have.

Okay, i'm no expert, but will share some of my thoughts on this.

From what i know of 'other plants', some of them have tap roots, that are basically the 'water suckers', and they go deep. The feeder roots are finer, usually stay closer to the surface of the soil. My idea is...if you want your moms to stay smaller, a clone might work better, as they usually don't have the long tap root. It's just speculation, on my part. But, the question that i would have, if you do want to use the seed grown, is: can a person trim the taproot off without affecting the vigor? I've seen that some say to also trim down the top of the plant, when root pruning, to keep things in balance. Personally, if the mom plant is healthy, and the cut of her is kept healthy, there's really no problem using cuts/clones as a mom. In fact, some folks have had great luck using fresh clones for every cycle.

From what i know of 'other plants', some of them have tap roots, that are basically the 'water suckers', and they go deep. The feeder roots are finer, usually stay closer to the surface of the soil. My idea is...if you want your moms to stay smaller, a clone might work better, as they usually don't have the long tap root. It's just speculation, on my part. But, the question that i would have, if you do want to use the seed grown, is: can a person trim the taproot off without affecting the vigor? I've seen that some say to also trim down the top of the plant, when root pruning, to keep things in balance. Personally, if the mom plant is healthy, and the cut of her is kept healthy, there's really no problem using cuts/clones as a mom. In fact, some folks have had great luck using fresh clones for every cycle.
Thanks Nannymouse. It makes sense that a clone would be easier to keep small.

great question! for times sake I always have the plant saved from cutting not seed. Small home grower(for now 🤙) but I have heard to expect less from clones in terms of weight output. I dunno how Tru that is, I do my pheno hunt with smaller plants, let the cuts(of winners) get big and healthy, and flower those and always output more, so think it's more of a health and timing thing.

great question! for times sake I always have the plant saved from cutting not seed. Small home grower(for now 🤙) but I have heard to expect less from clones in terms of weight output. I dunno how Tru that is, I do my pheno hunt with smaller plants, let the cuts(of winners) get big and healthy, and flower those and always output more, so think it's more of a health and timing thing.
Thanks for your reply Rae. Yeah, I want to get to the point of keeping a mother or 3, 😆, and running clones off them. Only my third grow now in progress, so I'm still learning how to grow, but I've got 5 strains from CSI started. They'll be smaller plants that I'll hunt through to find a keeper. And it being CSI, I have plenty more seeds to pop! My problem is going to be thinking they're all keepers, lol. And I also have more beans coming from his 420 sale! I'd like to say I won't need to buy more seeds for a while, but I'm there will be something else I want 🤣🤣🤣

Thanks for your reply Rae. Yeah, I want to get to the point of keeping a mother or 3, 😆, and running clones off them. Only my third grow now in progress, so I'm still learning how to grow, but I've got 5 strains from CSI started. They'll be smaller plants that I'll hunt through to find a keeper. And it being CSI, I have plenty more seeds to pop! My problem is going to be thinking they're all keepers, lol. And I also have more beans coming from his 420 sale! I'd like to say I won't need to buy more seeds for a while, but I'm there will be something else I want 🤣🤣🤣
lol main thing I think folks forget these days is effect is trait when hunting. lots of pretty ones out there, how do they make you feel and how long does it last?

Man when u grow your own you get to be only tester. Couldn't smoke all day earlier this week for work, cracked up some of my Macv2 x Sowaah #14 and mother Fer caught me off gaurd with its kick otw to dinner 😵‍💫🥴. That's keeping a seat in the garden 😅😅

can vouge for keeping fresh healthy cuts as mom's. Much easier on space and water requirements. Grew a ogogoh 5 rounds this way and the 4th batch tested better I think from a better dry lol

lol main thing I think folks forget these days is effect is trait when hunting. lots of pretty ones out there, how do they make you feel and how long does it last?

Man when u grow your own you get to be only tester. Couldn't smoke all day earlier this week for work, cracked up some of my Macv2 x Sowaah #14 and mother Fer caught me off gaurd with its kick otw to dinner 😵‍💫🥴. That's keeping a seat in the garden 😅😅
Yeah, I don't really care much about looks, lol. Yield isn't that big a deal either, as it's just for my wife and I. I'm in it for the flavor and effects. And if it's really a delicious, strong flavor, I don't want it to knock me out after 2 hits. I want to savor that shit! Lol. I saw your post in the seed swapping thread. That Sowaah sounds and looks 🔥🔥🔥🔥! Maybe one day I'll find something to trade with you for that.

Yeah, I don't really care much about looks, lol. Yield isn't that big a deal either, as it's just for my wife and I. I'm in it for the flavor and effects. And if it's really a delicious, strong flavor, I don't want it to knock me out after 2 hits. I want to savor that shit! Lol. I saw your post in the seed swapping thread. That Sowaah sounds and looks 🔥🔥🔥🔥! Maybe one day I'll find something to trade with you for that.
That was one of the top reasons that i liked the ISP's cantoloupe skunk and the S1's of CaliO! They were delicious enough that just one or two hits was not enough! There's time to relax and enjoy whatch got goin! Without passing out.

I hear you there! Those strains sound delicious! Over here on the least coast, lol, unless you were getting weed from NYC, you didn't know what strain you were smoking. The good weed went by many names, I'm sure you've heard them all, except for what they actually were, lol. I've been smoking weed for over 40 years, and and only the good lord knows what it was🤣🤣🤣🤣

Good day everyone. I read somewhere that it's better to keep a mother plant from seed, rather than a clone. They referred to it as "seed vigor". I know most people will take clones, flower the mother, and decide if they want to keep a clone as a mother. But I'd think you could flower the clones and decide if you want to keep the mother from seed. Is there a difference? Inquiring minds want to know! Well, mine does, lol. I've also heard or read that some plants don't clone as easily as others. I appreciate any input the community may have.
Hope this helps, just my experiences.
As another home/tent grower, I have started seeds, culled males, bloomed females in 2 gallon pots with no training. As soon as I knew female I would bloom. At harvest I left popcorn buds on bottom branches and repot to a 3 gallon pots and revert(regenerat) back to veg cycle. Within 30 days each calyx sprouted a branch. Within 40 days I thin those and clean out the dried calyxes. And within 90 days she's ready to gift me a couple dozen clones. During that regeneration time, dry, cure, sample the harvest and I pick just one to Regen. After the first flush of clones, provided you keep mom in good health, mom will give clones as vigorously as you want. Of you need fewer clones over all, prune her. You can also slow her by lower light level and lighter on food, but I prefer just keeping trimmed.
Which reminds me, I would never trim roots of cannabis. It's not a bonsai. Root triming and especially cutting the tap root off an annual plant will severely hinder growth. Anyway... alternately as far as moms, I hear mostly that folks take clones from seed grown plants and flower a clone while the plant from seed keeps vegging. I don't have space for all that.
I will have one plant outside this year for the first legal plant I've grown. It's a clone from a fem seeds plant. I took clones from a fem seeds and am keeping a clone in veg as a mom.
I have never had issues with loss of vigor and I cloned Trainwreck from one mom for 6 years.
In my experience, you get back what you put in. Love your mom plants and they'll show you love back.

It is silly to think that a plant will only degenerate the first time it is cloned. If a plant were to degenerate each time it is cloned there would be no way that the old infamous cuts could have been passed around as much as they have been without going to crap.
I have read that you can get different types of roots depending on what part of the plant the cut was taken from. It would make sense that this is more likely the cause of a loss of vigor in a cutting than actual degeneration.
I like to take a few cuttings from the same (seed plant) and choose the most vigorous one(s) to run with.

Last edited:
Hope this helps, just my experiences.
As another home/tent grower, I have started seeds, culled males, bloomed females in 2 gallon pots with no training. As soon as I knew female I would bloom. At harvest I left popcorn buds on bottom branches and repot to a 3 gallon pots and revert(regenerat) back to veg cycle. Within 30 days each calyx sprouted a branch. Within 40 days I thin those and clean out the dried calyxes. And within 90 days she's ready to gift me a couple dozen clones. During that regeneration time, dry, cure, sample the harvest and I pick just one to Regen. After the first flush of clones, provided you keep mom in good health, mom will give clones as vigorously as you want. Of you need fewer clones over all, prune her. You can also slow her by lower light level and lighter on food, but I prefer just keeping trimmed.
Which reminds me, I would never trim roots of cannabis. It's not a bonsai. Root triming and especially cutting the tap root off an annual plant will severely hinder growth. Anyway... alternately as far as moms, I hear mostly that folks take clones from seed grown plants and flower a clone while the plant from seed keeps vegging. I don't have space for all that.
I will have one plant outside this year for the first legal plant I've grown. It's a clone from a fem seeds plant. I took clones from a fem seeds and am keeping a clone in veg as a mom.
I have never had issues with loss of vigor and I cloned Trainwreck from one mom for 6 years.
In my experience, you get back what you put in. Love your mom plants and they'll show you love back.
Good info. Was your Trainwreck from seed, or did you get it as a clone?

It is silly to think that a plant will only degenerate the first time it is cloned. If a plant were to degenerate each time it is cloned there would be no way that the old infamous cuts could have been passed around as much as they have been without going to crap.
I have read that you can get different types of roots depending on what part of the plant the cut was taken from. It would make sense that this is more likely the cause of a loss of vigor in a cutting than actual degeneration.
I like to take a few cuttings from the same (seed plant) and choose the most vigorous one(s) to run with.
Do you recall, or in your own experience, where the better clones are pulled from? I am considering topping my plants, and I wonder how that would do as a clone, and what type of root system it would have? Also, the first branches that formed on my last grow, first photoperiods and first time topping, never caught up to the other tops. Like not even close. The second, third, and fourth branches were pretty close in final height, but the first set were way shorter. Maybe before I flip them, I'll top them and take the lowest set of branches and try cloning all 3. I wonder if the top would form a new tap root?

I'm sure there are much more experienced people on the island who could help you better as I haven't had experience in taking lots of cuttings from a large mother and having the chance to discern one type of root from another.
I keep my mother plants from seed because it is healthy and ready to keep making more clones. It makes more sense to me to keep the original in the library to make copy's of.
Do you recall, or in your own experience, where the better clones are pulled from? I am considering topping my plants, and I wonder how that would do as a clone, and what type of root system it would have?
If I am remembering correctly, I read this in a thread on overgrow about cloning and I think the person was saying that they didn't want a tap root for their clones. I didn't look into the details or test their theory and I might be remembering incorrectly.

I can share my experience:
I don't pay much attention to what kind of roots my clones are growing but focus more on how fast they get going, how fast they pop out of the small cup and how healthy the cut looks when I make my selections to move them into veg, there are always some that stand out from the rest and the clones that grow roots the fastest usually look the best.

I also have one very vigorous mother that grows faster than all the others and her clones grow just as vigorously.

I have taken cuts from most every place and have had success with them all. IMO The most important variables for quick roots and good clones are cleanliness, humidity and the temperature; (about 75-80 for both). If I am trying to keep a mother, I wont cut a main branch for a clone that is growing from the center stalk at the stalk because it wont grow back, cutting the secondary or third branches that grow off the main branches is the way to take care of a mother. I like to take my cut while the branch is still in its later infancy of growth (while the outside of the branch is not extremely tough or woody yet) the theory is that these younger branches still have the natural hormones in them that will help grow roots quicker. Because of this, I don't believe it is customary to take a clone from the top center stalk, even though it is totally possible.
With that said, I keep my mothers under 12 inches, I will wait until just the right time and get a perfect size cut from the top that hasn't matured past the sweet point for quick roots and also makes a good size bonsai. This top works as a good clone for me a few weeks before those secondary branches are even getting long. The tops usually take a bit longer to take root than normal cuts even at this stage of growth. Keeping the mothers small saves on nutrients, lights and space. I like having vigorous mothers even if I have to trim them more often because I believe the clones from these vigorous mothers are going to grow buds more vigorously.

It might be that a cutting from a plant that was cloned (rather than from a seed plant) already knows how to grow roots well because the mother plant has been through the cloning process. That's the only reason I can see for using a clone for a mother but I would always try and pick the most vigorous, healthiest one, I wouldn't pick one with less vigor to save space and money.

Hope that helps ✌️

Your right on point Nanny, A mom can be kept from seed but she will get root bound and if you cut her tap root she will suffer big time. A mom kept from clone dont have this taproot and the feeder roots can be trimmed and kept as a bonsi with lots of cuts for lots of years.

Your right on point Nanny, A mom can be kept from seed but she will get root bound and if you cut her tap root she will suffer big time. A mom kept from clone dont have this taproot and the feeder roots can be trimmed and kept as a bonsi with lots of cuts for lots of years.
Thanks MyDBear for your input. Every little bit of information helps, not just for me, but also anyone else with questions that finds this thread. What thoughts might you have on swapping out your mother occasionally with a fresh clone? Is it true that the plant can degrade over time doing that? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm trying to unlearn some of the false things I've "learned"🤣 before I found this wonderful place 😊

A mom can be kept from seed but she will get root bound and if you cut her tap root she will suffer big time.
I wonder if keeping a mother in an air pruning pot would make an exception to these words of wisdom? I dont think the tap root will circle or crook in an air pot to become root bound, and I dont believe that having her tap root air pruned makes the mother suffer in the same way as you say hand trimming it will.

A mom kept from clone dont have this taproot
I am considering topping my plants, and I wonder how that would do as a clone, and what type of root system it would have?
I wonder if the top would form a new tap root?

What do you think @MyDBear; Do all clones only grow "feeder roots" or does it depend on where the cutting is taken from, does the top cut off the stalk grow a tap root? Do different cuts grow different roots?
Sorry for all the questions, but I'm trying to unlearn some of the false things I've "learned"🤣

I wonder if keeping a mother in an air pruning pot would make an exception to these words of wisdom? I dont think the tap root will circle or crook in an air pot to become root bound, and I dont believe that having her tap root air pruned makes the mother suffer in the same way as you say hand trimming it will.

What do you think @MyDBear; Do all clones only grow "feeder roots" or does it depend on where the cutting is taken from, does the top cut off the stalk grow a tap root? Do different cuts grow different roots?
I don't know anything about those air pots. But if they keep a plant from becoming root bound your good to go. That was the main reason to use clones so you could trim the roots and keep it in a small space.
I've never had a cut grow a tap root like you get from seed no matter where you take the cut from. Different cuts don't grow different roots but the way you root your cuts do. A cut rooted in a bubbler for hydro don't have those fine hairs on their roots, one that is rooted in soil will have these fine hairs.

Last edited:
Back