Lucas Formula done different ways

Mojave Joe

Lost in a Blue Haze
Lucas Formula - A Hydro/Soil/Coco Feeding Strategy

Caveat: This page is WORK IN PROGRESS

Summary:

Lucas Formula, sometimes known as the Lucas Ratio, is less complicated than it initially seems. It is nothing more than a basic recipe of nutrients to give your plants during both the vegetative, and the flowering state.

The original recipe uses 2 parts of the General Hydroponics 3-part FLORA series (Gro, Micro, Bloom) nutrient system, but Lucas Formula may also be used with Advanced Nutrients, GH's dry nutes (Maxibloom), etc.

1. Lucas Formula using General Hydroponics Dry Nutrients (Maxibloom)

MaxiBloom and MaxiGro are dry nutrient also from General Hydroponics. It turns out, Maxibloom, used in a ratio of 7 grams per gallon of water*, is very close to the original Lucas Formula (above.) You do not need MaxiGro, and so this is the cheapest and easiest recipe to use.

Add 7 grams of Maxibloom into 1 gallon of water*, and then adjust the pH, and stir vigorously to dissolve the Maxibloom in the water. I advise putting the 7g of Maxibloom into a cup of warm water, dissolving it, and then adding it to the remaining gallon of water, before pH adjusting and mixing again.

2.Lucas Formula using General Hydroponics 3-Part System

General Hydroponics makes a 3-part system named the FLORA series. It consists of FLORA GRO, FLORA MICRO, and FLORA BLOOM. These are 3 bottles you buy, that you would normally use together throughout the entire grow. You may use it as per the instructions on the bottle, with excellent results, but...

Lucas figured out that FLORA MICRO contains enough nitrogen, and everything else that MICRO GRO contains, that you use it with FLORA BLOOM alone, saving you from having to buy FLORA GRO.

How do you use it? Simple. Add 8ml of Flora Micro (dark red stuff) to 1 gallon of water*, mix, and then add 16ml of Flora Bloom (pink stuff) into the water, and mix. Done - unless you're growing in coco.

3. Lucas Formula using General Hydroponics FloraNova series

This is probably the easiest (but not cheapest - see MaxiBloom above) feeding plan available. If you're using General Hydroponics' FloraNova Bloom 1-part system, simply add 8ml of FloraNova per gallon of water* and feed.

4. Lucas Formula when growing in Coco Coir - Head's Formula

If you're growing in coco, you may need to adjust the Lucas formula slightly to compensate for a property of coco which may result in a calcium or magnesium deficiency. How? You may be able to get by simply by adding 1-2ml of calmag (or MagiCal+), or 1 gram of Epsom salt (any pharmacy carries this), per gallon of water, before feeding the plants.

There is a modified formula specifically for Coco that consists of using a different ratio: 6ml of Flora Micro, and 9ml of Flora Bloom, per gallon of water, along with 1 gram of Epsom salt per water.

Either works, but be sure to try Head's Formula if you're having deficiencies or other nute/pH problems.

5. After watching and reading and generally being impressed with the results you've all been getting with the coco medium, I've had to make the switch myself...

Being the rebel that I am...Not having coco specific nutes, and having a full supply of GH flora micro and bloom, I've been working at tailoring the 'Modified Lucas formula' I was using in pro-mix to suit the coco better...

The mix I have arrived at has reduced levels of K and P, and a slight reduction in total concentration, because I have been keeping the runoff to a minimum (only a few ounces of water come thru, just enough to let me know I'm completely saturated...

So... when I was using a modified lucas formula... my nutrient profile when growing in promix was:
N 130
P 93
K 163
Mg 64
S 43
Ca 130

By mixing 8ml/gal micro and 14ml/gal bloom and watering with plain water every other watering...

6. Low light ratio, and flowering vs veg

Lucas Formula should be used in the same ratio throughout the grow. There is a misconception that one should use 5ml of Micro and 10ml of Bloom, when in veg, and switch to 8ml of Micro, and 16ml of Bloom, when flowering.

This was never stated by Lucas himself. He originally stated that the 0-5-10 ratio was for LOW LIGHT situations (fluorescent lighting like PL/L and CFLs, or HID lamps less than 400W), whereas 0-8-16 is for medium to high light (400W+)

7. * What type of water should I use? What about pH/ppm?

The original formula uses reverse osmosis, or RO, water, and is intended to be used without having to measure pH and ppm. Reverse Osmosis water makes this possible because it should, in theory, be the same for everyone. It is filtered water, which you can get either by buying a reverse osmosis filter system, or just buying bottled water (among other brands, Dasani, the bottled tap water is reverse osmosis, for example). One may also use dH2O (distilled water) with good results. You can get distilled water from most convenience stores (Walgreens, CSV, Rite-Aide, etc..)

8. Lucas Formula for seedlings/cuttings

For young plants (< 4 weeks old) or cuttings, which may not be able to handle a full strength feeding formula, may require that you dilute the nutrient solution before feeding. This is OK, just make sure you keep the correct ratio when mixing. For example, 50% strength would be 4ml Micro and 8ml Bloom, or 3.5g of dry Maxibloom per gallon.
Lucas Formula with tap water

You may use Lucas Formula with tap water successfully, but this may require pH adjusting on your part. Keep the pH close to 5.8.
Can I use additives with Lucas Formula?

You may. It is recommended that you do not introduce additives until your setup is dialed in. After you've ironed out any deficiencies and fully understand how your plant and strain likes to be fed, feel free to begin using additives (such as Floralicious) - not that the additives will help. For increased quality and yield, focus on good genetics, and ample light and temperature control, rather than trying to compensate for those with additives.
In the coco, I am now using 6ml/gal micro and 9ml/gal bloom which gives the nute profile:
N 97
P 60
K 105
Mg 41
S 27
Ca 97

adding 1 g/gal epsom salts to the solution changes the numbers for mg and s to:
Mg 67
S 61

Adjusting for the extra available potassium in the coco, the new formula puts me very close to the 'target ratio'... Phosphorous is a tad low, but I think there should be no worries there...

Nothing is too far along in flower right now, but I'll get some pics up a bit later.

I have also seen advantage in keeping the coco fairly wet, I'm guessing that the coco holds the nutes so well, that as moisture evaporates out, concentrations rise...

(I have copied and pasted this information from several different sources for the benefit of Our Community, so nothing is original from My Own creation. I just felt it necessary to present the different variables so that there would be no confusion as to the different methods One could employ.)

I have been personally using Lucas Formula on and off for 6 + years or so with great results. I got tired of spending tons of $$$ on additives and what not in hopes of getting the most bang for My Bucks and when all was said and done, the Lucas Formula had won out for Me using the Hempy Bucket method of growing.

My aim in creating this page of information is/was to demystify the different ways in which this formula could be done and I am sure there are other ways in which to do it as well. I am a Rebel at Heart, always going against the "System" with the belief that there is always a better way to get the same things done without spending stupid amounts of money on things which ultimately and not necessary to be used to accomplish the same thing, right?

Good luck to those of You Who walk the same path as I! :x91:

mebbe its me but I've been using the gh 3 part system , using all 3 as labeled in the specific ration as labeled and love what is does for me...I add guanos and root stimulator but nothing else...will the lucas system cause my grow to increase yeild cause I really can't fathom a larger yeild than what I'm currenly using now...not without lossa bud rot...

"My aim in creating this page of information is/was to demystify the different ways in which this formula could be done and I am sure there are other ways in which to do it as well. I am a Rebel at Heart, always going against the "System" with the belief that there is always a better way to get the same things done without spending stupid amounts of money on things which ultimately and not necessary to be used to accomplish the same thing, right?"

"He originally stated that the 0-5-10 ratio was for LOW LIGHT situations (fluorescent lighting like PL/L and CFLs, or HID lamps less than 400W), whereas 0-8-16 is for medium to high light (400W+) "

as we've seen lately, there's no reason one needs to feed this heavily.
basically the 'lucas' is a simple 0-1-2 formula.

"I'm guessing that the coco holds the nutes so well, that as moisture evaporates out, concentrations rise... "

also rise when coco's heavily fed and the girls aren't using all that food, fwiw

i use 0-5-10 IF im using the micro/bloom flora series. anything more is too much for me, in coco.
In veg, under flouros, in coco, i give them just slightly less.. keeping ppms around 450 during that time and trying to stay below 800 or so in flower.. even less these days. i use flora series and nova.. no way i could use 8ml. of nova.. no way. burn city. this is all from real life experience with canna coco.

what if i said you could rework the formula specific for veg and flower.. as i have basically redone this formula to actually work properly for veg as to much p&k in veg is pointless imvho....you need n in veg p and k in flower... so y are we giving them such high p& k in veg....it doesnt make sense ......

i ran this formula for about 3 years then slowly started reworking it for better vegging results..and let me tell you... wow
its been 3 years of my own version and wow . i call it the fast track to success...all u need is 3 part micro and bloom calmag and koolbloom... you can run from veg to flower...

Attachments

• IMG_1293.jpg
    IMG_1293.jpg
    377.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1519.jpg
    IMG_1519.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1694.jpg
    IMG_1694.jpg
    324.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2710.jpg
    IMG_2710.jpg
    383.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
that stuff right there is vegged off of micro and calmag only... the first 2 pics on the left are the bubba affy master table they are a week ahead of the table on the right which are the pics on the right that tables back half is louie xiii og tahoe og and hells angel og. the right half furthest row on the right is bruce banner, then original sour diesel, then 91 chem skunk va, then the last row is giesel with a 91 and a osd at the end. the gear on the right has only been on the slabs for a week. the table on the left almost 2 weeks. as them indies grow slow as shit..

Yeah Man, thats what I'm talking about!!! You Guys have it right on the nail heads! What I mean is that different genetics have different requirements and it's way cool that We are able to sense this out and altar the individual Nute requirements for each one!!!

I have been using Perlite so long that it's driving Me fooking Mad! I have a 5 kilo brick of Botanicare Cocoa Coir from my short stint w Coco, which had some salt residue left in it (unbeknownst to Me, in which I entrusted some Joe Pine Romulan and 2 other higher end seed genetics, of which all died because of the salt... I was so 'gutted' from the screw-up, I didn't touch Cocoa again since '06...) But, now, I believe that I will flush it properly and use it with care to see how well it will work for me.

Last edited:
what if i said you could rework the formula specific for veg and flower.. as i have basically redone this formula to actually work properly for veg as to much p&k in veg is pointless imvho....you need n in veg p and k in flower... so y are we giving them such high p& k in veg....it doesnt make sense ......

i ran this formula for about 3 years then slowly started reworking it for better vegging results..and let me tell you... wow
its been 3 years of my own version and wow . i call it the fast track to success...all u need is 3 part micro and bloom calmag and koolbloom... you can run from veg to flower...

yo swerve I been playing with this as well for a lil bit now maybe be almost two years or so...I think ppl like the p and k in VEG cuz it helps promote roots I been playing with maxibloom for veg as well and I gotta say its works very well some of the best roots produced with that stuff for me at least its cheap and easy and makes a great end product still I love using the micro and bloom with calmag as well but for the price and easy use I am gonna try to work on this maxibloom its lucas in scoop my taps sits at about 200 ppms loaded with cal and mag already just use that for veg and flower then some powder bloom booster at the end K.I.S.S trust me man makes some fucken bright white FUZZY roots ver healthy I will slap a pic up sometime soon so u guys could see.

I have been using the Lucas formula forver noe, and learned quite a few things. KEEP IT SIMPLR. In hydro I men DWC, Hempy buckets etc. As for coco I can't speak, bcause I never used it.I start at 1/4 strength for the first week, than I go 8-16 the rest of the wayi did my best grows using Jungle Juice Micro and Grow. I didn't use a PH meter (as th nuts will always bring you to 58ish) I didn't check the ppms. Just blindly did itOnce I started having people rely on me for meds, and the bills have grown, I did something stupid, and thought. I also started using Peat (big mistake) 1/3 full strength for peat bt, but anyways I started checking PPM, PH, etc...I had to battle ptoblemsThe only time lucas suggests using 5/10 ratio is for "low light gtows" meaning cfl, and shit. To sum it up. Ill use the Lucas Formula for the foreseeable future.If any of ya never tried a hempy bucket. Look into it.
Peacr

If it isn't 8ml Flora Micro plus 16ml Flora Bloom per 1 gal of water, it isn't Lucas Formula. :019: Everyone wants to improve on Lucas.

awsome

Great thread man. I swear by the formula, especially in a non dirt substance. I've found, as Lucas himself said 1/3rd strength for peat.
Its SUPER easy, no need for meters, cal mag etc etc. When I try and complicate things I run into trouble. KISS, and your good to go. I use the cheap Jungle Juice at 8-16 the whole way through when in a straight pearlite hempy grow, or any medium that won't hold salts. I want to try this in the "Skittys" but will probably flush depending on how the health of the plant is doing. I did start adding silica to my peat grows, as I've heard good things. In the past, before peat 8-16 all the way. I'm sure it scares of thoes using meters when they see EC of 2.7 or so 1320 ppms, but it works. The only thing different I do........for the first week feed 4-8. Seems to work.
Bro, you really broke that down nicely. Great job. It is a fool proof way to grow ime
peace,
Toasty
my phone just updated, so if any words have no place being there. I apologize

First large growers I ever met, Asians all they had was the two part :)

I have hit my best yuilds ever and some of the smoothest smoke using the Lucas ... only complaint was even though the flavors where distinct seems slightly watered down ...

Also PBP hydo bloom is very close to the Lucas I use it to vegg and flower at 15ml ... just needs Little p boost for the first 4 weeks

Flora nova bloom 8-12ml seems to work very well as the same with maxi bloom ... Just shows every cannabis plant likes the same ratios almost just at different amounts of food ... hitting the ratio and ph is way more important that additives :) what ever brand you use ... that should be the goal ...

(pH/lucas/Mel Franks 100N 100P 200K 60Mg)

Thanks again to Lucas for setting me strait and allowing my first year of growing to be pain free ...

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=21119

Last edited:
My experience with the basic lucas formula for 400w of 8/16 has always been good. It is so easy and simple which is what I like. Many other growers I know have tried all kinds of other ways and additives and have and always end up with problems. When I do get them to try the lucas formula they become converts. After succesully using the lucas formula some try to do all kinds of additives and then ask me what is going wrong with their grows. Once I get them back onto the basic lucas formula without additives all is good. I have tried other methods and will not use anything but the lucas formula it is less expensive and easy. KISS.

is anyone using the AN 3 part (Jungle Juice Grow, Micro, Bloom - non-pH perfect)? I can get this stuff for $7.50 a quart.

or you can buy 16 pounds of maxibloom for like 80 bucks lol same shit thats all need if u use tap water

I have used GH Micro and Bloom and 8-16 for a few years with acceptable results, all things considered like environment and genetics.

Someone recently suggested Jungle Juice as a replacement. He said JJ Micro and Bloom was the same as GH Micro and Bloom. Is this true?

The price was cheaper and I needed some and that is all they had at the hydro store so I bought some. Micro and Bloom. 8-16 just like GH and so far so good.

From the JJ website, it looks like the exact same ratios as GH M&B.

I've been using Lucas 6/9 in coco for years now and so far any additives other than a pinch of epsom here and there have been nothing but a waste of money, sometimes actually decreasing yield.

Back