Looking for recommendations for nerve pain (shingles)

sticky is as sticky does
Hey cabana people, got a question for you all. I have a friend who is dealing with shingles, and prefers herbal remedies.

So I'm looking for input from folks who have treated nerve pain with various varieties of cannabis. What varieties worked for you?

i had it 30 years ago. it sucks, very painful. I forget what remedy I got from MD, likely prednesone?
I read that capsaisin can be used for topical relief but I had not tried that.

Reactions: 180
Marijuana helps sum but doesn't take all the Pain away Now on top of Nerve Pain I also have bone spurs on my Heels almost a inch long now that shit hurts.. Been down the road on Pharmaceuticals, Neurontin helped sum but has its side effects as well so does Lyrica..And Oxycotten just fucks you up in the long run lol a Band-Aid with deadly consequences in my opinion. Good luck Bro!:puffpuffpass:

My wife was taking gabapentin for her nerve pain (sciatica), but I'm hoping to find some flower or preparation thereof that helps my friend.

Thanks Bush Dr. The reason I'm persisting is because I have seen posts where people said that such-and-such a variety was good for nerve pain.

The person in question has shingles, so a topical might actually make things worse. She does tinctures and edibles but so far has not been able to find anything that helps, either to relieve or to get her mind off the pain. I set her up with some Bubba Kush for starters, haven't heard back about that, we shall see.

I found the Santa Cruz Blue Dream to be somewhat effective for nerve pain myself, but if it's really bad I would recommend either Lyrica or the cheaper alternative Gabapentin.

I've had shingles and I've had serious road rash. Shingles lasts longer but is a similar type of pain. I know what Bush Dr. is referring to. I've had pain and have smoked a certain strain and felt like the pain still existed but it was happening with out me. I was detached from it.

When I had the bad road rash I smoked a sativa dominant cross (Nepalese sativa in the mix) and I was amazed that what was burning and stinging after smoking turned cool and slightly itchy. Totally different type of pain relief, but relief non the less. I wasn't medicating when I had shingles but the type of effect I had with the road rash I think would work well.

I wish I had some of the strain left to send but that was a few years ago.

Chronic nerve pain since head on car accident in 95 and 3 back surgeries.... Chocolate Trip started out with the best type of relief, but sadly it was a certain cut no longer around... but it
does seem the Chocolate Thai strains offer some good relief of this particular symptom.. Try to stay away from anything Sativa dom, it tends to increase your heart rate which in turn will
add to your nerve pains.. Also, try to find strains that don't make ya cough as this to adds to nerve pain.. I take Neurontin for this, but most get prescribed this so...

The wonderful and fun part is, the hunt.. Trying to find something that is strong enough but won't knock ya out, and then one that does... like ECSD..

Check out Chocolate Chunk.. luck bro

I was trying to think of the other generic type nerve pain med that carty mentione - Neurontin.

Theres really nothing comparable to the prescription drugs when it comes to serious nerve pain IMHO. My foot used to feel like it was literally in a campfire until they gave me the Lyrica.

Sativa dominant hybrids like Blue Dream, Chocolate Trip, ECSD, Nigerian Silk seem to be decent herbal alternatives though. Hope your buddy can find something that works.

I don't remember what strain i had when i had the shingles. Capsasin helped a little. Seemed to be worse when i'd try to sleep, nothing helped enough. Luckily, i didn't have a huge bad case and it didn't last as long as some folks'. Nasty enough stuff, that i didn't hesitate much to get the shots...and i am leary of shots. As i age, tho, i tend to go for vaccs that i avoided earlier in life. I've had a couple of flu and pneumonia bouts that i just don't think that i could survive 'unhospitalized', these days. So, have had those two shingles shots, a pneumonia shot, the covids, and thinking about the flu shot. Yah, some of those really knocked me down, others didn't affect me hardly at all.

As far as strains...i would avoid anything that tends to make you anxious/antsy. I wonder how cbd would work. I agree with carty on the chocolate trip, don't know if i hit on the certain pheno...seems what i've seen were pretty consistant, not that the mouse is as finely tuned to subtle differences...or even unsubtle ones, ha. I did use capsasin and it helped. Learned that i couldn't use the gaba or most of those nerve meds way back in the first days of trying to fight the fibro, so don't know what to say on those for shingles.

good luck, may this ailment pass quickly.

Thanks for your replies, folks.

I was thinking about gabapentin, will have to ask her if she's considered it. As it happens, I still hold the Santa Cruz Blue Dream and will give her some to try.

Przcvctm, you're right, road rash and shingles do have some similarities. But road rash heals fast, whereas shingles can drag on for months or years.

I've had shingles before, myself, about thirty years ago when my back was in spasm for a prolonged period. It sucked, and I didn't find any relief except chiropractic adjustments for my back, to reduce the spasm. I'm gonna get the shingles vaccine as soon as my doctor says go! Not fucking around with that shit again.

Nothing to add regarding strains.
Had shingles 2 yrs ago. If interested in natural approach, on herbs front: Hypericum (St Johns Wort) oil / tincture / homeopathic / dried leaf for tea - use some caution as there can be interactions. Possibly Echinacea, helps build immune system and also targets herpes virus family. Calendula may be helpful, especially in salves to help aid skin healing at right time.
Found this, PDF avail: https://journals.lww.com/md-cases/f...tment_of_herpes_zoster_with_botanical.13.aspx
https://neighborhoodnaturopathic.com/hypericum-perforatum-st-johns-wort/

Back