LED for veg

Freakshow

ok, i'm looking for an LED light fixture o replace my 1000 watt MH in veg. It just gets way too hot in the veg rom during summer. Any suggestions for a quality light? I need to veg up to 9 plants under it, big plants.

needs t have full spectrum, including ir and uV

Last edited:
I can't recommend a brand because my lights (Nextlight Megas) are three years old and the tech has advanced considerably since I bought them.

But I would recommend this place, for both prices and service: https://www.ledgrowlightsdepot.com/

I’m happy with my HLG 4k spectrum (for veg) light. Never a problem, great results and runs very cool as most LEDs do

I'm no expert on LEDs but here is what I have been using and they both work very well:

I have 3 Spider farmer SF1000's, dimmable with Meanwell driver and Samsung diodes (about $159 ea.) https://www.amazon.com/Spider-Farmer-Dimmable-MeanWell-Spectrum/dp/B07TS82HWB

and 3 Bloomspect SS1000's, dimmable with the same Meanwell driver and same Samsung diodes (about $55.00 ea.)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087GF3DFH?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

both are great lights and very similar in total brightness/output, the Bloomspect seems to be a little bit more white light than the Spider Farmer but are about 1/3 the price. The Spider farmer seems to be slightly higher quality construction but for the $$$ the Bloomspect is the bargain all day long

that's all I got man

Last edited:
i'm trying to find the one i have in veg now, an Apollo 8 full spectrum. Damn thing is a plant growing machine, full spectrum including ir and uV. I paid 300 for it from China and can't find it. Thing is ridiculous though. Thanks for the suggestions, folks. I'll probably end up having some customizations done to add uv and ir.

Just a general question about led's. Do they need replacement as often as the hid's or mh's?

no they do not need to be replaced as often, which is part of the reason they are so expensive. if you get the right LED light, it will be a better more full spectrum than HPS and MH too.

I'm looking over at Alibaba (I know Chinese crap), but they will customize the led's put into the fixture, add more blue, UVb, ir, etc.

better warranty than fluence and gavita. quality diodes from samsung. I've spoken with them on the phone and they seem down to earth and cool.

it'll cover a 4x4 or 5x5 area. Mammoth lights are so attractive, to me, because they are modular. so if one bar goes out, you can pop that bar off and send it back for a replace of just that one bar. Also, as things progress and the bar increase in technology, I'll be able to upgrade easily without replacing the whole unit.

Odd to me that 60 dollar lights that are 100 watt input have the same footprint. 680 sounds like a lot of watt. i'm probably not reading things right. or something.

Woops, maybe the ones that i was thinking of had a smaller footprint, was also looking at cabinet light.

@Nanymouse, oh there's a lots of cheap LED's out there. I currently have a Mars Hydro LED ($200) right next to a custom Apollo 8 ($300). The apollo 8 has full spectrum including ir and UV. Damn thing grows plants like a pro - rootball get huge quickly, plants usually need to be potted up within a week or 2. Growth is slower with the Mars light, not as robust. It's actually a pretty big difference in growth rate. Now Mars Hydro has stepped up their game a bit. I don't see that they even make the light i bought a couple years ago. But There's a huge difference in light spectrum between the 2. You just have do some research. With the apollo 8, which i bought from Ali-express, can call them and customize the spectrum you want.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/225...101d91e16542631802218440ef039!64797929573!sea

the Mars Hydro and the Apollo 8 both hang over a 4x4 tray. Individually you could run one in a cabinet

"It's actually a pretty big difference in growth rate."

oh good.. a side by side....

what is the actual wattage of each?

"It's actually a pretty big difference in growth rate."

oh good.. a side by side....

what is the actual wattage of each?

the apollo 8 is 600 watts. Not sure on the mars hydro. I don't think they make this particular light any longer.

Back