Tevye

what do we have here??

twisted leaves
darker veins, yellowing leaf
some light tip and leaf serration edge burn
red petioles

soil ph is at 6
watering with ph 6.3-6.4

working in recycled soil w/ dolomite, and organic granular ferts. A little ocean forest was added to liven it up and add fungus gnats.:kendo2:

I was thinking cal and/or mag deficiency or other lockout, is the soil ph low enough for that? Just watered w/ ph'ed calmag and some sea green. Only one looks like this but the others are showing slighter signs of the same, mainly slight leaf twist and canoeing. help/suggestions/oinions are appreciated. thank you
:puffpuffpass:

Attachments

• DSC_0005.jpg
    DSC_0005.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC_0007.jpg
    DSC_0007.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 6
Looks very much like an iron and mag def friend.. try a good flush then a light feed. but what you might have here is one hungry strain that just needs to be dialed in.. sure looks like multiple symptoms.. especially if it's all the leaf's and not just the lowers. Some nutrients can be stolen from the lower plant like Nitrogen but your serious clawing says different.. good luck man. Another question is, your soil PH.. may want to bump it up a wee bit, can be strain to strain but most soils run neutral and hydro lower.. just my opinion though.

yes flush - looks like ph fluctuations. Did you check the ph and ppm of the runoff? I always thought soil ph should be at 6.5 for our herb?

no I didn't check the run off, only the soil. I added dolomite this run and was expecting the soil ph to be higher. Also I vegged them with maxi bloom and realized that my pen was off about a point in the acidic dirction when I calibrated it. so more or less was vegging them up in the low to mid 5's...still working out the recycled soil.

too low ph produces cupping

yeh check the runoff..i sometimes things like you had when i re use old coco or whatever

and then find the ppm's way too high

Recycled soil needs to rest a few months and let the micros work on breaking down whats STILL in it. Otherwise you end up w plants showing multiple symptoms like these.
Only recourse now is flush and light feed, the more you flush the more you wash out so get after it, for real bad soil like that I'd do 3 x whatever the pot holds. IOW 5 gallon gets 15. takes time and seems a waste but IF you want your plants to straighten up and not have further problems then you gotta flush HARD on recycled soil. Helps get that ph and EC under control.

YJ

You must spread some Manna around before giving it to Annaba again.^^

just been watering with ph'ed water around 6.5...everythngs starting to bounce, even the blueberry (photos) thats showing the worst. its still got leaf discoloration but the extremed twisting is gone.

too low ph produces cupping
yes, I seeing this, esp closer to the petioles

RE what anna commented on Ph testing. I have not seen or tried a more $$ soil probe tester, but the cheap ones are worthless for sure. What I use (and thought was gold standard) is a portable hand held unit. - Milwakee- here. I grow in un ammeded pretty much, Sunshine 4. To test, I first do a reg. feeding, wait for any run off, then under a clean tray, run distilled water thru the medium until I get a few ozs to test.
I'm open to advice here. :rollitup:

sorry to bust in you thread here Teyve just one more followup to the Ph testing
I did Annaba's slurry test and it was considerably lower Ph v runoff. runoff was a bit concerning 5.5-7 but things looked fine. (?) The slurry today was in 2 plants, 6.6. and 6.5. That actually does correlated more to visuals. So hat tippo buddy.
Other minor fun fact, for kix tested the Dehumid runoff. Don't use it but it was 8.0 v well water of 7.0. :dunno:

I don't actually see a magnesium deficiency. Zinc is usually to blame when getting any kind of asymmetrical growth. Iron certainly looks deficient. And yellowing accompanied by downward curling is a sulfur deficiency. Zinc and Iron tell me the pH is off and thats why you have interveinal discoloration and twisted leaves. Usually that occurs with too HIGH of a pH, but can also occur when way too low. Sulfur deficiency means something is locking out and the burned tips could suggest calcium, which usually locks out with sulfur.

What does the new growth look like? Are you using filtered water?

I would only do plain water for a week or two and do a couple strong foliar feeds! Get some Chelated Liquid Iron and/or GH FloraMicro for foliar feed.

I've grown successfully for years, and anyone who knows me during this time has seen what I can do and am no slouch when it comes to producing excellent meds.. now for the confession: I've never owned nor used a PH pen, a TDS pen or even used the throw away soil test kits.. the only issue I've ever had with my plants was a spider mite attack one year when I got clones from a friend and Cal/mag issues trying to dial in a new strain. But other then that, I've never tested ph or runoff, I feed with a light hand... Reusing soil, I'd recommend mixing it 50/50 with new soil.. on new seedlings or cuts I start them off with Route66 only on initial wetting of the soil, then 1/4 str and start stepping it up..... as long as my leaves are spread out like solar panels doing their job of photosynthesis I'm a happy camper.. the only thing I did use was a moisture pen .. but mostly I now try to not over think it.. the plants usually tell me if I'm doing things right... hehe.. cheers.

Back