Kief screens?

sticky is as sticky does
Hello my trichome extracting brethren and sistren! I've never made bubble hash, always kief. I cobbled together a kief box from my trim bin, a silkscreen frame and a metal plate, with a couple c-clamps holding it all together. https://www.thecannacabana.com/forums/album.php?albumid=3141 I shake the box manually for 6-7 minutes and get a layer of mostly trichomes on the metal plate.

I have no idea what the gauge of the silkscreen is, it's standard screen printing mesh. It is large enough to let some broken pistils through, so my hash has "red hairs". Surprisingly, the color is good, golden with very little green. Looking at it with a loupe, I can see the broken pistils but no green bits.

My question is, does anyone know what the standard mesh gauge is for screen printing?

Hey 180 I did a search and found the most popular screen printing sizes are 156 and 110. I’d imagine your using a 156 screen size.
https://www.screenprinting.com/pages/screen-printing-mesh-size-information
I think that is most likely what most kief screens are made up of as well. I would like to buy one of those tumblers for my dry shake and small buds.
Nice color onthe kief by the way! Now you need to press it into rosin!

Hello my trichome extracting brethren and sistren! I've never made bubble hash, always kief. I cobbled together a kief box from my trim bin, a silkscreen frame and a metal plate, with a couple c-clamps holding it all together. https://www.thecannacabana.com/forums/album.php?albumid=3141 I shake the box manually for 6-7 minutes and get a layer of mostly trichomes on the metal plate.

I have no idea what the gauge of the silkscreen is, it's standard screen printing mesh. It is large enough to let some broken pistils through, so my hash has "red hairs". Surprisingly, the color is good, golden with very little green. Looking at it with a loupe, I can see the broken pistils but no green bits.

My question is, does anyone know what the standard mesh gauge is for screen printing?

I’m lazy, haha, I bought a small tumbler, fill the screen drum, turn it on walk away, come back and nice pile in the bin. Length of time it runs determines the grade.

Also have a trim bin type deal goes on your lap, two piece, top has a screen bottom, trimming you get some kief, especially dry trim, but when I break seed out in it I get loads of kief.

IMG_20210308_104438_01[1].jpg

Thanks for your replies. It seems that my screen must be the larger gauge mesh size or I wouldn't be getting the pistils. I'm happy with the product, though, and so are my friends. This chunk weighs 1.33oz. That will keep all of us happy until I make the next batch :D

Hello again folks. Just made another batch and yield was lower than last time. I left the trim sitting in the bin curing for longer this time.

I've noticed that if I let the trim cure for a longer time, my kief yield is less. This has been the case on a couple different runs. Other factors (temperature, volume of trim, duration of shaking) are unchanged.

Anyone else noticed that their kief yield goes down when the trim cures for a longer time? ??? I don't know what to make of it. Sure, some of the volatile oils are evaporating, but still....

BTW, I used parchment paper (silicone-coated baking paper) this time, instead of wax paper, and it works much better for pressing the kief. Too much product sticks to the wax paper!

I think I answered my own question re; reduced yield from cured weed. I notice the kief from the cured weed has a drier texture and isn't as smelly. I think a big part of the difference is lost terpenes, which volatized during the cure.

From now on I will shake my shake as soon as possible after I trim. I like smelly hash, and I like bigger yields. :thumright:

Does the hash seem more concentrated, and potent though after it's been aged to the point of decarboxylation? I've never paid much attention, but I'd think it may be.

[MENTION=758]alabaster[/MENTION] Hard to say whether it's more potent, but ti does seem to make me cough a bit more than the "younger" stuff.

Yeah I usually refrain from smoking hash all the time. Ya seem to get a quick tolerance to it. I'll put it away and try to forget about it for a while, and just smoke flowers. It's pretty harsh on the lungs too. Especially if you smoke it straight. When you do decide to smoke some again, it'll knock your ass out with a psychedelic buzz you simply can't get from flowers.

I actually prefer to make hash tea, or put it into cookies. You really have to titrate your dose to your tolerance though, else you'll become paralyzed for longer than you'd want. Lol! Whatever you do, don't drive, or operate heavy machinery.

In most hash making cultures, such as Afghanistan, they'll age their personal hash for a very long time. Actually years before smoking any. They'll even bury it underground. Mine's never around long enough to tell if it becomes easier on the lungs with age.

Some of you may have seen this video, but i hadn't until recently and i must say I was impressed. In addition to learning a bit about kief screening from watching the video, I also was reminded that 1) I am not a true connoisseur, and 2) I am too lazy to make primo full-melt kief.

Btw, some good info, like where to get different screen mesh sizes, in the comments.

Back