Kenora Black Soapstone (Pipestone)

WrinkledNugSack

I'm in search of someone in the Kenora Ontario area who has access to some Kenora Black Pipestone... I have made a couple of pipes that I made a couple years ago and really like to use, but I have a new design idea in mind.

If you have access to it, I know what I want and how to pick the best piece(s).

Shoot me a DM if you have the ability to make this happen, thanks.

(Just some background for those who don't know. The Kenora Black is/was quarried on First Nations Lands around Kenora and to my understanding this is the only source for it. It was widely traded back in the day similarly to the pipestone in Minnesota. It is NOT the same rock type as the Minnesota stone, which is red/orange in colour. It (to my understanding) is harder than the Minnesota stone and does take a bit of work to understand how to deal with it. I have carved a number of items from it without knowing what it was until I tried to find more. The original place I bought it from does not deal with it any longer, so knowing someone who has access is likely the only way for a non-indigenous person to get it. It is very heavy, very dense and at times, very difficult to work... unless you are of the highly determined type of person, who doesn't drop a task easily, you don't want to buy this stone.)

Back