Is 42-45% RH acceptable during drying?

Reverend Budbreath

Red-eyed and mystified
There's nothing I can do to change it other than run a humidifier... which I don't really want to do.

It's already half dry, with about four or five days to go, and while the temps have been fine (70-72F), the RH just stays flat at 42%-45%. I was hoping for 70-72F and 50%-52% the whole time. It's so damn dry here in California.

Same here, 40% all the time.

I let it hang till outside gets crispy then buck into a contractors bag, burp everyday till just right. If I let it go till stem snaps, the bud is to dry to get a good cure.

I hang dry for a few days then put the semi dry flowers with stems sit in a brown paper bag for a few days...when the smell and the texture is right they go into jars...62% is where I like to be...boveda for the win...:teeth:

ever thought of using a hot plate and a bucket of water to add humidity to the room...easy to regulate and pretty cheap...just sayin...:teeth:

Reactions: HFM
If you do go with a humidifier I recommend the evaporative style with a wick and fan in them as opposed to the ones that boil the water or vibrate it into a fog. The evaporative ones will self regulate and only evaporate the amount of water the air will hold whereas the other styles can create excess humidity and condensation

A boiler type humidifier burned down my hut. :(
If RH is too low and plants are drying too quickly, partially cover the hanging plants with a tarp. If the buds have been trimmed, then partially cover what ever vessel they are drying in.

@midwest for real I always see people with humidifiers right in the tent lol. The vibration kind but still that shit is not as good I dont give a fuck what they say about using distilled. It still creates small zone of 100 percent humidity around it. Evaporative is the best just make sure you run it dry when your finished and clean it. change filters if you haven't used it in a while simple.

@midwest for real I always see people with humidifiers right in the tent lol. The vibration kind but still that shit is not as good I dont give a fuck what they say about using distilled. It still creates small zone of 100 percent humidity around it. Evaporative is the best just make sure you run it dry when your finished and clean it. change filters if you haven't used it in a while simple.
Frankslan is 5 million % correct! I will add this though????
It will be a PIA but if you need to change temp or RH in your dry area or grow the best way to do it is with a lung room/tent. This is the best way to keep the dry room/grow uniform without spending a dump truck of money on environmental controlers and the necessary equipment. excuse my French fucked up small zones of micro climates/100% humidity or the micro temp climates.

You can do it without anything I mentioned above dialing in what you have! However your QUALITY will be a lot better IMO and it is 100% easier with a circulating lung room. It’s 500% easier if you spend your life savings on perfect environmental control( not recommended)

As always the above is just my opinion and I’m definitely not saying what works for me will work for you!!!!!!

Peace

You want to try and use the moisture in the bud to slowly dry the plant. I would hang for a short period of time 3-5 days, then jar or bag the bud and slowly allow the moisture release by burping for period of time and then closing again so the moisture can equalize again. I’ve seen people get a great dry doing something like this.

If she seems to be drying out too quickly you can cut branches and place them into bins with the lid slightly open for fresh air. Make sure to check regularly and flip the bottom branches every day or so and keep her in the controlled environment

@LJFarming for sure i only ever use it like op in the drying room in winter time. Its just crazy when i see people using it in the tent like that in flower too. chasing vpd
I love drying from October until May in my area. It’s always colder than 60F and it’s easy to control Rh when temp isn’t too warm.

I do get temps down to 20f December through February however too cold has NEVER been an issue for me it just makes it take a few extra days to dry and cure it. IMO 40f in the dry tent would be fine as long as I’m not paying to get 40f! The longer it hangs the better it cures when it’s cold. Just like aged Whiskey or Tequila or Wine!

I have never had an issue with PMD or mold in the dry tent or grow room and IMO it’s more important to keep the rh in check than the temp as long as the temp is under 65f when drying.

@LJFarming for sure i only ever use it like op in the drying room in winter time. Its just crazy when i see people using it in the tent like that in flower too. chasing vpd
There is absolutely very little reason to chase VPD very far without the proper equipment and controls!

If you are growing in a fresh air room or tent with air exchange don’t bother with the cost of extra equipment besides exhaust andintake fans and a proper intake filter. I used a hepa filter for intake when I ran a fresh air grow but there is definitely cheaper better options.

Dehumidifiers, and CO2 are definitely a waste of time and money until you move to a sealed room with the proper controls. Which costs a fortune and IOM isn’t worth it until you can make the bitches the best they can be without the fancy expensive shit.

@LJFarming For sure winter time is the best for growing. I think i might skip summer this year its just too humid. If I exhaust it doesn't help because I'm still pulling in hot air from outside and humidity. Im using a lung room already but its humid as it in the summer grow or no grow. Already have central air and if i add more ac its expensive and I dont have any more power to give anyways. Maybe ill just run a 2 by 4 or something small so i have some new smoke.

Last edited:
@LJFarming For sure winter time is the best for growing. I think i might skip summer this year its just too humid. If I exhaust it doesn't help because I'm still pulling in hot air from outside and humidity. Im using a lung room already but its humid as it in the summer grow or no grow. Already have central air and if i add more ac its expensive and I dont have any more power to give anyways. Maybe ill just run a 2 by 4 or something small so i have some new smoke.
My mentor that grew for 44 years in Alabama says he never worried about VPD and as long as he did 2X per minute air exchange. He never ran CO2, a Dehuey, or AC. As well as says I’m crazy for running all of the above in a sealed room.

I guarantee you that after 5 years of him sharing his knowledge and him listening to me bitch about Cali Weed Snobs that he understands that Cali Weed Snobs demand a product a lot different than most.

A trick that works for me in my dry house is to dry in a closet or tent and hang a semi-wet towel in there. The towel will dry out every 12 hours or so but you can get a 3x3' to 60-65% with relative ease.

@LJFarming For sure winter time is the best for growing. I think i might skip summer this year it’s just too humid. If I exhaust it doesn't help because I'm still pulling in hot air from outside and humidity. Im using a lung room already but its humid as it in the summer grow or no grow. Already have central air and if i add more ac its expensive and I dont have any more power to give anyways. Maybe I’ll just run a 2 by 4 or something small so i have some new smoke.
2x per minute air exchange takes humidity out of the equation according to BAMA.

You definitely need a lot of air circulation but that’s inexpensive!

According to BAMA humidity has never been an issue for him in the grow room. He is also the one that taught me to run 85f 75rH for the first 4 weeks and never drop below 80f 70rh by the end. Air circulation is insanely important to run like this so my sealed room has cat 1 hurricane winds by week 4. According to him PM nor mold can form with enough air movement and I have never had either running high humidity in a sealed room in over 5 years.

My grow bros that have been growing almost 20 years think I’m insane and would never run over 50rH! However they know for a fact my dope is better than theirs?????? I was scared as hell because of them in the beginning but after a few grows I have never looked back.

I’m definitely not saying BAMA knows everything after growing for 44 years but I would not even be close to growing the quality I am in 5 years without his guidance!

In closing a note to new growers: Respect will get you a ton more help than thinking you know!

I am blessed to have found an old head to put up with me and if you are lucky enough to find one respect will get you a lot further than telling them some bullshit bro science you heard on a podcast!

Back