How many days do you typically dry before curing?

M.J.Mantis

Just harvested a beautiful Alcapulco Gold cross. Got humidifier goin, fans, trying to keep temp down. What are optimal days for drying. Ive found longer is better, and if I jar up too soon the flavor of the buds is not as fresh. How many days of drying/curing do you typically do?

Attachments

• 20240107_145405.jpg
    20240107_145405.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 15
  • 20240107_154837.jpg
    20240107_154837.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
Yeah, whatever works for anyone is what matters. The size/density of the flowers is also something to consider when drying. Because my environment is difficult to control, I'm using a Cannatrol now so I can get my temp & RH to where I want it. Drying and curing are set at the same numbers so even if it dries a little earlier, I'm set to move in the cure without changing any numbers. One thing I've learned, and I'm speaking for myself here, once all is dry, I never use humidity packs. For me, they're not needed if the flowers are stored properly. Plus, I feel they affect the terps negatively. Mason jars and Grove Bags work out just fine. One of the most important things to me is the temperature that you're storing these containers in. Wine chillers are great for this!

we are smoking some East Coast Sour Diesel x Ogers Kush that has a three year cure

same with some Snow Leopard and about 7 other strandivars , 3 year cure

we grew some Orange Kush once and it took 9 months of curing before the orange terps exploded

I like 21 days, first 14 days at 60-70f and 60% humidity and then drop the humidity to 55% for the last 7 days and then into Tupperware while it gets trimmed. Pop the lids a few hours after it goes in to see if you need to burp the tuppaware to get the last of the moisture out. I often take the lids off for an hour every 12 hours if there’s still a little bit of moisture that needs pulling out. Lastly make sure you trim in a room that isn’t too humid or warm.

Another thing I generally do, and forgot to mention, is leave the buds on the stems and when in storage. I may have to cut some branches in half because of size, but I think it really balances out the moisture in the buds. I prefer to keep my temps in the 60F, to low 60s in general. Like most, the humidity is in the 58% to 60%.

Needs to hang a minimum of 6 days, preferably 8 days. 60-62F and 55% RH. I like using a two-prong moisture meter (sold for testing lumber and firewood) and bin it when the buds get to about 12%, but also checking moisture of the stems. Sometimes solid thick stems hold moisture longer than buds, or the buds get on the dry side and I will bin and burp them earlier. The bin-burp cycle can go for a few days until moisture content becomes more even between flowers and stems. Ideally I like the flower to hit the trim table around 14% moisture content, and go into a jar at around 12% again, no less than 10%. At that point you can begin curing. I think ideal curing is 2-4 weeks. After 2 months, degradation begins to occur. I'm not a big fan of those long cures.

This also has a lot to do with how it was grown and the potential for oxidation while alive. Healthy cell walls can cure longer without oxidation/browning.

It’s totally by feel now, but I go from hanging into the brown TJ’s grocery bag. This takes a week to 10 days. I can get it into the jar pretty close to 61% (my sweet spot for vaping) in stasis with some post trim time in the brown bag if it’s creeping upwards.

Needs to hang a minimum of 6 days, preferably 8 days. 60-62F and 55% RH. I like using a two-prong moisture meter (sold for testing lumber and firewood) and bin it when the buds get to about 12%, but also checking moisture of the stems. Sometimes solid thick stems hold moisture longer than buds, or the buds get on the dry side and I will bin and burp them earlier. The bin-burp cycle can go for a few days until moisture content becomes more even between flowers and stems. Ideally I like the flower to hit the trim table around 14% moisture content, and go into a jar at around 12% again, no less than 10%. At that point you can begin curing. I think ideal curing is 2-4 weeks. After 2 months, degradation begins to occur. I'm not a big fan of those long cures.

This also has a lot to do with how it was grown and the potential for oxidation while alive. Healthy cell walls can cure longer without oxidation/browning.
That's the best explanation on that subject I've seen in a long time.
Peace farmerlion

2 weeks and than in glass jars, normal burping schedule.
Since I heard Notso talking about hanging the uncut plant upside down I will try that too in a few weeks. Normaly I cut fresh, and if it's too much to handle I put the cut plant in a bucket of water, than you can spread the job to 3 days instead of one.

I also use the moisture meter to try to get the branches by the buds under 15% before consider moving to bins. Depends on time of year and local rh%.

How do you check the buds, shove the 2 prongs into the bud?

Back