Honest talk on flowering times

Olday

Fortunately for me, I’m not bothered by a few extra weeks here and there but as the first run is coming to an end, I’m somewhat surprised on what the calendar says vs how the trics look.

I know GMO can be known to flower a bit longer but both her and the purple punch are rolling into week 12 since I flipped them. I’ll not be taking kind before it’s time but what I’m wondering if that’s normal - both are from seed and the Babu is going into week 10 and not looking to come down soon either.

I guess the first question is do you count your flowering weeks from the 12/12 flip or wen you see hairs?

Either way, (yes I know there is a huge amount of variety) but for the general pool of poly hybrids that go around, are you taking them to whatever percentage of Amber or just getting them out the door in 8-10 and I’m guessing mostly cloudy?

I count from when I flip to 12/12. A lot of growers like to rush things and they here it’s an 8 week strain and they start sampling at 50 days and they take it down by 56 lol. So bravo to you for being patient, it’s a rare quality in growers. And I know it’s very hard to be patient especially if your out of smoke.
People claim a lot of strains are 8 weeks but the only strain I have ever found right at that point is the IBG, and you have to cut it then to get the smell you want. So normally I will start trimming on day 65, by the time the room is done the last plants will come down as far as 80. The buds just keep getting prettier imo.

gmo is long but puple punch was maybe 10 weeks at most. day 1 starts the 1st day of 12/12

First day of 12/12, but who’s counting. These days I just let um go till they appear done, I can visually see amber trics on most plants, they look coated in molasses.

Most of my harvests are determined by plants awaiting space in the flower room, if pushed, what ever plant has been in there the longest, gets pulled. Not much is taken down before 70 days anymore. I’ve found the longer you can go, the more interesting the head and the heavier the yield.

I’m just into a full ripe bud, feel taken early is a waste of time, for a pingy weak high. Prolly is a 58 day plant out there, I don’t believe it though. GO LONG!!!

I also start the count at the flip. I think the discrepancy is in the fact that they're seeds...u never know how long each one will take. My Purple Punch cuts already look almost done at day 50 but I'll probably chop at 60.

i start at the flip too. I tried counting from the moment i saw flowers starting to form but it was very difficult to judge

I start counting at the flip. I noticed seed starts flower a little longer than clones.

Thanks all - to good news is that it doesn’t seem like it’s something off with what I’m doing - will keep them in until they are done as it’s my small group that will me toking on it likely for months so I want it to be the best it can be.

I am with the more the merrier crowd and counting at the start of 12/12. I don't think anything is done before 60 and most take minimum 69. If you let it go a week too long you will be fine with the smoke. If you cut it a week or two early it will be weaker with less yield. Those last two weeks the calyxs like to swell and dense up for sure. More frost too I think.

someone should have told my ssh cut. i usually take her down around day 53. like any plant you can let it go longer if you like.

Not so, always an exception or two, for example the old BC hashplant was done in around 9ish, but the internal budrot made it touch and go if you could get past 8.5.

Counting from flip is great for indoor growers and how I determine flowering times as well. Anybody have insight on how outdoor growers determine flowering times?

Counting from flip is great for indoor growers and how I determine flowering times as well. Anybody have insight on how outdoor growers determine flowering times?

I found with outdoor weather plays the biggest role, then depending on the size of your garden/farm, finding the time when crew and equipment are available is second. But mostly weather dictates outside. Oh, and ripper season.

Indoor, I count from 12/12 and use a calendar and trichs to determine when to harvest. I dont have a static date I harvest from when using the calendar, but I use the calendar like this. Say for a 63-70 day cultivar. Find the day to flip to 12/12, count 10 weeks, add a week for the bullshit (missed feeds, drying out too much, anything that doesnt go right will set you back), add two weeks to dry and that date, everything should be jarred. Most likely, they will finish before then and you'll have a few days to a week to spare. I believe breeders list the actual flowering days on seed packs, and thats about 2 weeks after flipping to 12/12, kind of the middle of the stretch period.

Indoor, I count from 12/12 and use a calendar and trichs to determine when to harvest. I dont have a static date I harvest from when using the calendar, but I use the calendar like this. Say for a 63-70 day cultivar. Find the day to flip to 12/12, count 10 weeks, add a week for the bullshit (missed feeds, drying out too much, anything that doesnt go right will set you back), add two weeks to dry and that date, everything should be jarred. Most likely, they will finish before then and you'll have a few days to a week to spare. I believe breeders list the actual flowering days on seed packs, and thats about 2 weeks after flipping to 12/12, kind of the middle of the stretch period.

excellent point! I also keep calendars. I print them out from my computer and use them to keep notes on the grow, when i up the nutrient levels, start date, proposed finish week - only a rough guideline, notes when i should think about flushing etc.

excellent point! I also keep calendars. I print them out from my computer and use them to keep notes on the grow, when i up the nutrient levels, start date, proposed finish week - only a rough guideline, notes when i should think about flushing etc.

Exactly! The calendar is a tool, not the boss.

I count day after 12/12 switch day 1 and go from there. New strains I’ll watch trichomes once things look close. Once I’ve run them a few times I know when to chop. I use the Botana app on my phone to help me remember where I’m at. Also helps me to be able to look at pics I took at the same day of flower last time I ran a cut and see how things are comparing.

Back