Home water treatment questions.Ro vs whole house UV.

Slim Pickens

I Blue my mind.
I'm on well water.We recently put in a water softener and sedimentation filter for the house water.The water installers price for RO was ridiculous,so we thought we would investigate alternatives.

So,We can install an under-counter RO system imported from the US,or we could put in a whole house UV Sterilizer.(or we could continue to buy RO water for drinking..currently approx $.75 for 5 gal).

The advantage of the whole house sterilizer is that..well...it is whole house.And accessibility for maintenance.

The disadvantage of whole house UV is cost...$500+ for the sterilizer (quality US made),and then replacement bulbs are $125 or thereabouts.Also,uv sterilizer bulbs don't like to be turned off and on.I read that their life is significantly impacted by turning them on and off...(this holds true for the uv on the under-counter unit as well)..accessibility for maintenance is not that good either.

The advantage of the under-counter is cost $190 for a decent basic system,and at the uv sterilizer that we would need would be minimum $90.

The disadvantage of the under-counter,is changing filters $60 a year? and then replacement bulbs for the UV..(don't know replacement costs for sure)..and the wasted water.

Would appreciate anyone or everyones opinion.

Just put an RO under the counter. Love it. LOVE it. So then we put a filter on our shower. There is really no comparison to how much better your skin feels, and it's twenty bucks at home depot. This may not really help ya, but whatever you do, don't wait. So much poison in our water!!! Good luck with your decision. I'm sure lossa peeps on here can help.....:puffpuffpass::puffpuffpass:

Just a caveat, but I would be careful about drinking only RO water. People were not meant to drink RO water as we need minerals that spring/tap water contain to maintain our health:D

2b2s

What's in your water that you are trying to remove?

UV would kill live stuff, right? Like bacteria, pathogens, algae, etc. But wouldn't remove minerals, like calcium, sulfur, etc.

RO would remove everything, right? (Wonder if RO will turn urine into water?)

How is the bottled water that you are buying processed? It seems affordable.

Sorry, no answers. Sometimes questions lead to answers. :hmm:

Where are you living?

Yes.The UV kills all bacteria etc,but leaves the minerals.I have a sediment filter and softener already.Our house is along a river,and on both sides livestock forage.Hence we have fecal coliform.

The bottled water is RO as well.We buy 5gal carboys 6 at a time that lasts us about 10 days or so.It isn't expensive,but it is a little inconvenient.Not to mention,that commercial filters (like the one our supplier uses) excludes less contaminants...(as I understand it.) Not only that,but profit is King here,and I don't have confidence that timely filter changes are the norm.Still..in 8 years we have had zero problems with their water.

We are in the Philippines.

Thanks to everyone who has responded.

Sark: I am considering an undercounter...it's just that they are inconvenient to service,and need filter changes pretty regularly..(and being under the counter means this old coot has to get down there to service it.Getting down isn't the problem..heck,I can fall down with the best of them...it's the getting up again that is the hard part).Lol

2b2s:I have heard that about minerals in the water being necessary.I have also read those who say a person should only drink distilled.Who knows which is correct?I do however drink some bottled mineral water from time to time...and,as has been mentioned,there are minerals in the food we eat as well..leafy greens anyone? :)

Last edited:
Thanks so much for all the input guys.

Good links you are sharing there Clips.

Bush Dr. I like the idea of a whole house UV,because even the shower water is clean.(after you disinfect it that is) It would be nice to drink from any faucet in the house,although I haven't really missed it all that much in the 8yrs we have been here.

Biggie...there are mineralization cartridges that can be utilized.I didn't know about the possibility of bone and joint problems.I'll start drinking filtered water with the minerals in it right away....I've been having a little difficulty with my joint lately,but I thought it was just old age. HA-HA-HA..<snicker snicker>

Glass Man..I had a thread here once upon a time about living here..the pictures may have been lost over time.I'd have to do a look up.

It isn't easy living here,and I assume it would be difficult living anywhere foreign..at least for a while.

But after 8 years,you would think that it would get better.

I just ordered a whole house filter from pureeffectfilters.com

They are the only filters that are alum free and remove fluoride, chloramine, heavy metals, radiation, VOCs, pharmaceuticals, pesticides, etc. I want to add a UV whole house sterilizer also. RO is too wasteful and the membranes can get biologically contaminated.

Back