HLVD in the community

bimblebrains_1

Hey folks

I thought I would start a thread to discuss further the topic of how rife this viriod' is in the community after signing up the other day and seeing a few pics on here.
I commented on the post linked below in POTM and it started quite a discussion albeit not the place for such a topic,hence this thread... I have just copied and pasted my original post just to start things off and I will get some photos of high virial load plants compared to the same clone expressing in a more normal way for reference,anyhow I hope people will chime in with pics and thoughts as well so we can put this problem to the forefront of people's minds a bit more because once you know it ,you see that shit EVERYWHERE,.......cheers bimble

I don't mean to sound or come across as negative or offend anybody but these plants right here ^^^^^^ are exhibiting moderate symptoms of HLVD 100% ..I have just spent the last year or so working with people who are in the hype cuttings game and have literally watched different varieties arrive ,kept in same mum room,cloned,ran for production and over the course of 6 to 12 months go from bulbus running kolas (or however they normally express) i.e normal flowers and tops to a shadow of their former selves,popcorn nubby type tops, curling out or up leaves are 2 main signs,they end up looking exactly like the plant pictured above,no matter what clone,all with that same look,(if they are a susceptible that is) some Varieties are tolerant or more tolerable to the viroid. I don't wanna shit everyone up but this viriod' is more prevalent than most people realise,it's everywhere and it's a sneaky fucker, notice how one of the tops is trying to become a normal shaped Kola to the left hand side of one of the pictures? Not kone shaped and nubby like the rest,well thats because that particular part of the plant has less viral load than the rest,you can get lucky and get a clone from a branch of a mum that will test undetectable on an infected plant.I have learned to work around it by culling young rooted cuttings showing more symptoms of viral load in big populations and then most of the others pull thru and express ok but some are ranging from dwarf mutants to lanky pieces of shit with curly leaves and zero terps...the scary thing is the plants above are seed plants,this shit can be passed on from infected seeded mums to the offspring too,that's why I say it's probably in everyone's garden by now,even if you have bought seeds online in last 10/15 years and not traded any Clones. The hops industry has never been able to eradicate this they have just learned to work with somewhat tolerant varieties and this is what we must do, because unless your have your own TC facility and test all the time,even if you pay 000's of dollars for a scrubbed clone then chances are as a homegrower or hobbiest you will reinfect it in no time. The cheese for instance which i uploaded a pic of is a tolerant invidiual,the people I got her from had held her 20+years,she shines and expresses perfectly where I am at surrounded by all these modern cuts all looking like aids patients but would still pass on the virus like a spreader,I'm telling you folks if you want resistance then don't look towards any this sherb/cookie type bullshit, weak gene's and stop breeding with it.... sorry for the rant but it's worse than everyone realises and we need to wise up as a community....

I’ll add here a recent study showing transmission of hlvd to seeds from both mother and father that were infected. Rates are on the higher end of what I’ve seen up to 80% infected seeds.

It makes me err on the side of only getting seeds from breeders that regularly test their parent stock. Of course this info is so recent ill have to be vigilant going forward.

Even your plants that test negative to help you sleep at night still contain the viroid. When you actually have a pcr tester and see the way these graphs vary. Everything we run here is from meristem tc and still show up on the graph. Places like tumi just hit you with that - or + because they want you testing because they make money off of you.
Bottom line is good husbandry goes a long way. Keep them healthy happy and fresh moms often. Once you hit 600 it’s a positive test.
IMG_1673.jpegIMG_1017.jpeg

Even your plants that test negative to help you sleep at night still contain the viroid. When you actually have a pcr tester and see the way these graphs vary. Everything we run here is from meristem tc and still show up on the graph. Places like tumi just hit you with that - or + because they want you testing because they make money off of you.
Bottom line is good husbandry goes a long way. Keep them healthy happy and fresh moms often. Once you hit 600 it’s a positive test.
View attachment 360780View attachment 360781
So you’ve never seen anything at 0 you’ve tested? If this were the case why bother with bleach and isolation tactics? Or is that still good practice either way. I’m not versed in PCR but I’m not sure what it’s counting or if statistics and probability come into play on how it decides or interprets results

Damn I just read up on PCR, that’s wild.

So for the lay man the way I understand it is it makes copies of whatever dna you provide it with, and then it is able to measure minute amounts of virus/viroid once it’s been duplicated. Looks like for other viruses like HIV it can detect exposure and low numbers are considered “undetectable” and not transmissible at that point. I wonder if that 600 number you mentioned has been shown to be the “non-transmissible” threshold. I really need a scientist friend to help me out sometimes 👨‍🔬

def want to hear more if you have time. So meristem culture is a myth?

Yes thanks for highlighting this @Variety ,yes it's the same with hiv testing below a certain threshold people are considered positive but undetectable and cannot transmit the virus but if they stop taking the suppressant drugs then levels soon spike...all we can do is keep our plants happy and healthy as you say and keep selecting new mums that don't visually display symptoms,that keeps the viral load down like the medication in the aids community

More of a legend. Not many people are aware of what the meristem is, and mistakenly isolate whole shoot tips with differentiated tissue, often with chlorophyll-expressing leaves with cystolithic hairs.

Also I just want to say, there is no way to detect HLV visually through pictures. You can observe commonalities in symptoms between genotypes and use that information to make informed decisions regarding testing, but you can't look at pictures of a plant and say it has HLV, unless maybe you have an abundance of experience with that specific plant.

Last edited:
Non Expert Here...
But during the covid stuff the inventor of the PCR test came out and threw shade on a lot of the high cycle testing practices going on and explained that fragments of DNA being reproduced with a high number of cycles don't actually mean a positive result and that there are tiny fragments that randomly combine which will be detected and then reproduced with enough cycles but there was no viable virus present to start with.
Only under a certain threshold of cycles does it actually indicate that any kind of viable virus was present.

Basically everyone would test positive for HIV if you ran the PCR test at too many cycles

Have no idea what that threshold would be for cannabis or if the tests being performed are being done right.

Last edited:
More of a legend. Not many people are aware of what the meristem is, and mistakenly isolate whole shoot tips with differentiated tissue, often with chlorophyll-expressing leaves with cystolithic hairs.

Also I just want to say, there is no way to detect HLV visually through pictures. You can observe commonalities in symptoms between genotypes and use that information to make informed decisions regarding testing, but you can't look at pictures of a plant and say it has HLV, unless maybe you have an abundance of experience with that specific plant.
I agree you have to know the plant but not really all that well,just have flowered the particular cultivar a couple times is enough to see the changes.If you have several mums in the same room and regularly clone them for production then it often doesn't take long to visually correlate the similarities between high viral load cuttings of different varieties,I'm talking in fairly big populations tho..sure there are many different symptoms expressed like the curling out or up of leaves, horizontal branching,tiny popcorn nubby tops(smaller than lowers), dwarfism as in miniature leaves and compact bonsai like strucure ect ..but the thing is as well is that today's hype genepool has so little diversity post cookies that most cuts display the exact same symptoms because they essential direct relations and I'm telling once you know it you can see that shit all over the shop lol

Managed to take a couple pics to show what I'm taking about.These are the main tops on 2 different cuttings from the same mum around 4 weeks in to flower,notice how the first one is expressing somewhat normally,the second one however has a different shaped tiny little rounded nubby nug forming as the top and how the some of the leaves are curling outwards/look odd,this one is expressing the symptoms of HLVd more and has the higher viral load,it is same height and structure as all the more normal expressing ones under the same light and most of the lowers just look normal (bigger than the nubby top) ...I'd say on average out of 20 cuttings for instance same healthy looking mum,2 or 3 will be tall with the nubby top, a couple will be total dwarfs with tiny leaves and the other 15 or whatever will pull thru and flower ok, albeit with a slightly less yield and terps ect than if the viriod wasnt in the building no doubt..the plant pictured is a clone only called Baby Jokerz.

Normal expression
IMG_20240501_165343.jpg

Higher viral load expression
IMG_20240501_165411.jpgIMG_20240501_165445.jpg

I'll try and get some pics highlighting the horizontal branching and dwarfism on some individuals soon as well ...

Cheers. bimble

I’m not scientist so don’t want step out of my lane but I’ve seen lots of test results and they always vary. We can go back and look at the difference and the older the momas get more incline then we get for most test, but not all. So mothers 3 months or older carry a heavier load then one month plants even though all are negative.
We don’t let mothers get much older then three months.

Managed to take a couple pics to show what I'm taking about.These are the main tops on 2 different cuttings from the same mum around 4 weeks in to flower,notice how the first one is expressing somewhat normally,the second one however has a different shaped tiny little rounded nubby nug forming as the top and how the some of the leaves are curling outwards/look odd,this one is expressing the symptoms of HLVd more and has the higher viral load,it is same height and structure as all the more normal expressing ones under the same light and most of the lowers just look normal (bigger than the nubby top) ...I'd say on average out of 20 cuttings for instance same healthy looking mum,2 or 3 will be tall with the nubby top, a couple will be total dwarfs with tiny leaves and the other 15 or whatever will pull thru and flower ok, albeit with a slightly less yield and terps ect than if the viriod wasnt in the building no doubt..the plant pictured is a clone only called Baby Jokerz.

Normal expression
View attachment 361045

Higher viral load expression
View attachment 361046View attachment 361047

I'll try and get some pics highlighting the horizontal branching and dwarfism on some individuals soon as well ...

Cheers. bimble

How old are your mother plants? I would have culled that right away. And are you only using top cuts?

Back