Help...Picket fence aero/nft thing

Hi Kisanth thanks for checking in on me. I tried to edit my original post and messed it up.
I bought a bunch of 5" x 5' square fence post and some laser spray bars trying to figure out how to lay it out for maxium yield minimum footprint.

I was thinking about a horseshoe shaped fence 4 high with corner posts dumping into tubs connected to 3rd res all chilled. Throw a 100 clones in it How would you do it Kisanth, and what can I expect?

Hi Kisanth thanks for checking in on me. I tried to edit my original post and messed it up.
I bought a bunch of 5" x 5' square fence post and some laser spray bars trying to figure out how to lay it out for maxium yield minimum footprint.

I was thinking about a horseshoe shaped fence 4 high with corner posts dumping into tubs connected to 3rd res all chilled. Throw a 100 clones in it How would you do it Kisanth, and what can I expect?

So let's see if I'm reading you right.....
5" x 5" PVC fence post.... arranged in a horseshoe shape.... 4 tiers tall fed by laser sprayers draining into a chilled rez and recirculating.

Are you thinking of a vertical or stadium style grow? Vertical means the bulb hangs vertically in the center of the pants and Stadium the bulb is horizontal and the tiers are layered.

As for what you can expect..... there are a lot of factors that determine that. Size of bulb/flower foot print.... Experience in the growing style.... ect...

Kisanth, that is exactly what I'm thinking about, the vertical version because it seems to be the easiest way to drain, support the trellis and add res. volume.
Exactly like this but different. Haha
http://www.dealzer.com/aeroponics-system-90.html?___store=default&gclid=CMfJ-by_tbkCFY5r7AodEm0AEw

Clips, yep those were some builds for sure. I would like to just mount one end of the upright drain the levels into the tubs and prop the other end on sawhorses. I'm actually thinking about setting the post at 45* like a diamond. I have a Eco 230 and recycling timers would like to lean more towards aero than nft. Plus I'm gonna gas 'em. Figured I'd light it with a couple 6 hundo's.

So what ya'll think? I have absolutely no experience in hydro other than 1 bubble bucket way back when. I'm not trying to reinvent anything just follow a path I don't know much about hydro but I know when a plant is doing good and when it's not, so I figured why not go in balls deep? I have spent the money on monitors, timers, controllers, genetics, environment, pumps and nutrients. I am too old for dirt work and supply ain't keeping up.

Hey it's just plant science right? What ya'll think?

Last edited:
fried said:
Kisanth, that is exactly what I'm thinking about, the vertical version because it seems to be the easiest way to drain, support the trellis and add res. volume.
Exactly like this but different. Haha
http://www.dealzer.com/aeroponics-system-90.html?___store=default&gclid=CMfJ-by_tbkCFY5r7AodEm0AEw

WOW... Nice lookin unit there fried. Reminds me of my Coliseum days which is still my favorite way to grow. Max yield per watt per sq ft. Do you need a trellis? That would depend on strain I would think.

fried said:
I have a Eco 230 and recycling timers would like to lean more towards aero than nft. Plus I'm gonna gas 'em. Figured I'd light it with a couple 6 hundo's.

ECO 230 is a great unit! Co2 is a plus. Two 600's is great. I bloomed with 4 - 600's covering 10 tiers so 2 - 600's is great for 4 tier. So 100 clones.. that's 25 per tier.... plant structure determines horizontal spacing and tier height spacing.... You should pick one before the other or just pick one and work with it.

fried said:
I have absolutely no experience in hydro other than 1 bubble bucket way back when.

There are plenty of Hydro guys and gals here ready to help you out brother! We want you to do the best you can and I'll help in every way I can.

fried said:
I don't know much about hydro but I know when a plant is doing good and when it's not, so I figured why not go in balls deep?

Knowing a happy plant is key! Balls deep..... Go big or go home! lol

My long lost Ortega, LUI and my Orange Spice cut would get 5 - 6#s under 2400watts in a coli.

Spacing was about 10" on center per tier and each tier was about 8" above the other. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on those numbers, but I think I'm right or pretty darn close.

Got close to that weight with Green Giant also. These grew taller and I had to trim like hell to get them to add weight. Keeping your strain to less than 50% sativa I think is going to be key.

Right On Kisanth! I love you guys!
I probably should have posted this help plea before I started buy'n but hey Ebay moves on right?

The big issue I see with that fancy 3k contraption in the link is a 20 gal. res. seems like its pretty small to feed 100'ish plants without big swings.

I want to use closer to 80-90 gallons on a float valve from the RO to top off if it will work that way.

Right on fried... your plants will be much better off with the largest rez you can use.

Rez fed with RO via float valve is a great idea! I'd adjust the EC maybe every other day... maybe once a day until you see the pattern of the nutrient swing then compensate for every other day.

Temps are very critical in aero.... and very non forgiving. High temps (over 76f) in aero for more than 3 hours and things go south with a quickness.... trust me. Especially if there was already some bad Bacteria/Fungi present. Areo/NFT is a little more forgiving.... but just a little.

Never done this, but Kisanth has some great advice on it, sounds like all should kick some a$$. Keep us posted if you can.

Hydro's not to hard. You need a TDS & a pH meter. Chasing the pH up & down can be a problem when beginning. I don't even check mine anymore, but in the early days it drove me nuts sometimes. I have learned that the pH changes of tap water changes over about 24 hours as it degasses. CO2 comes out and the pH changes because of that. It happens with well and also city water.

You are correct about wanting a large reservoir for stability. My 4x8 72 site setups hold about 150-200 gallons between the grow table & the res. I don't need to change the nutes, and only add a little around the 5-6th week (8 week strain).

I don't know how you'll support the plants after they get tall. Maybe a fence/screen hoop type set up.

Show us a pic or two when you get it together.

btw, you can make a large res cheap by making a plywood box and line it with 6 mil (or thicker) poly. Mine have never leaked.

Last edited:
Kisanth, RealHigh, GlassMan.
Thanks for the input, tips and tricks ya'll.
I been busy building their new home, and running back and forth up driveway.
USPS UPS FEDEX are wearing my ass out. Well that and this zero turn walk behind mower I got cheap off this rich dude. Even with the sulky that thing is a beast, but man do it cut and with the quickness.

Ok so here's the parts list I'm working with:
Solatel room controller
DRT1
BlueLab Guardian
Titan Helios 1 timer
8 burner CO2 generator
ECO 230
Danner mag 950
100 GPD RO filter
1/4 HP chiller
1 1K
3 600's
1 400
2 8" Vortex fans
1 6" fan
2 6" cool tubes
2 Std air cooled reflectors
1 xxxl reflector
1 1200 w carpet blower
direct to drain dehumidifier
sulfur burner
3" netpots w/neoprene
GrowStone media
16 GH laser Spray Lines
20 5"x5"x5' fenceposts
I got a lot of work to do yet...
Right On Ya'll! :kizz:

Last edited:
Gonna be a 10K grow room... but in start up cost not watts...lol Nawwww not lol Waaaaaaaaa!

I'm pulling up a chair for this one if I'm welcome. I dont have and experience in vertical or stadium grows but am interested to watch your progress if I have anything important to add to the discussion I will. Thats a great list of gear you got to play with I'm envious lol. If you don't mind me asking what brand of 100GPD RO Unit did you buy I need to get one of these in the next couple days just curious about quality and price of different brands. I dont mean to go off topic if its inconsiderate of me just let me know and I'll keep on subject. Best of luck with the design and construction. I love these type of setups due to their maximum use of floor footprint. Hope everything comes out above your expectations in the end! sorry for the long post. Thanks for sharing - WLL

Last edited:
Hey Wandering, you know you got a RSVP my friend.
Please don't envy, I spent WAY too long away to get enough money to this, what I consider to be the right way... I spent a lot of years building ballast and hoods using the cheapest nutrients I could get trying to scrape my way through a cycle. But my wife don't like me so much since I came back in the last time. She says I'm meaner. I know I changed a lot. But hey, I got some grow gear and Afghani seeds out of the deal...

My Ro filter came from here.
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/build-your-own-reverse-osmosis-system.html

Anyone thinking about the Eco betty jump. I had to buy 3 before someone actually had it in stock. I guess they been disco'd for a minute now...

Lots more work to do on the barn yet, but it is progressing.
Right On!

iam not a fan of hydro, but what i thank dosent matter , what does matter is everone that grows and partakes keep up the great work , then we can overgrow the gov!!! best of luck!!!!

Thanks gone grape. I figure since I have messed up dirt everyway possible, I might as well mess it up faster in hydro... Right?

So how's it going in there fried?

I was looking through your list and I just have to ask... what the hell is this for :
1 1200 w carpet blower .... LOL

Curious minds want to know.

With that fence post you're either doing aero, NFT or a hybrid of the 2 in which that chiller is going to be your best friend.

Hey kisanth yeah thanks for ya'll help. I'm working out the electrical now....
That blower is to dry everything out after I flood it.... Prep'n...lol

gonna be quite a set up Fried ... those vertical coli/stadium grows sure seem to put out the yields ... wish you well brother.

"My long lost Ortega".......... she's not lost , just needs directions home :vespa:

Back