Have you met the Mushroon Man? (hero dosing)

Butcher Bob

Lone Wolf
Have you met the Mushroon Man? (hero dosing)
(originally posted April 12, 2020)

I first became interested in hero dosing after hearing aboot it's use to treat PTSD and concussive force brain trauma. These things change the 'wiring' of the brain, affecting how it operates. Hero dosing is thought to 'reset' the brain's functioning back to normal. When I was 18 I had a nasty accident where I bit the steering wheel (knocking out 3 teeth) and head butted the windshield. So I thought maybe it was something I should look into.

My first concern was...can you OD on mushrooms? From everything I've seen on the subject, it is virtually impossible to OD. My next concern was...would I be tripping for days? Everything I looked at indicated a 6 hour time frame from ingestion to completion no matter how much you take. In my experiences since then, I find that to be pretty accurate.

So 13 months ago I did my first hero dose. I had heard aboot folks on DMT seeing metal mechanical elves, and likewise I saw folks describe meeting the Mushroom Man on hero doses of mushrooms. I was curious, so here is my recollection of that dose, written shortly after I came back to reality...

March 9, 2019

So I was a bit tentative aboot it...7 grams seemed like a lot. :unsure:
Ten minutes, eh...twenty, was that a tingle?...thirty, whoa, here we gooooo! :flyguy:

For the first hour I tried to maintain a semblance of reality, then I let go.

It's best if you close your eyes.

The visuals are spectacular...fantastical...vibrant. They don't stop, constantly changing, like a ride through the fun-house at the amusement park. Only this is no ordinary fun-house. THIS fun-house is completely animated, the very best CGI. I'm sitting on the ride, but I can interact with the visions, simply by looking at them and thinking. I can change the theme and style of the ride at will. I never realized my mind was so much fun. Now a pirate, I see him...it's the Mushroom man! My sloop pursues, but his brig is faster. I load myself into the cannon...lead the shot...FIRE!! I'm gaining on him, as I fly through the air. It's disorienting when I hit the water. Keep swimming. Which way is up? Keep swimming. The bubbles clear. I see the hull of his ship slicing through the water above me. Keep swimming. It's going to be close... NOOOO! The brig slips by, just out of reach. I envision the Mushroom man's smile, like the Cheshire cat's grin, and he projects a whispered thought to me...

Not enough. :teeth:

Yes, it is definitely best with your eyes closed. :)

I will try again...maybe double that. ;)

Since then I've done two other hero doses that I wrote aboot, but first I wanted to see if anyone else in the group had any experiences to relay or thoughts on the subject of hero dosing in general. :)

I took about 4 grams of golden teachers and prob 5 grams of malabar at the same time.they each had their own phsycic personality’s and were having a discussion on where to take me and what to show me. It was a great experience, I was just a passenger on their trip. Extreme colors and visuals all they while listening to a heated discussion.

Within a couple days, there were a couple questions regarding my experience...

Afterwords, did you feel rewired? Did your mental/emotional state improve or change?
And if so, how long did that adjustment last? Days, weeks, months, permanently?

I did my best to try to answer them, and added some extra discussion...

Originally posted April 14, 2020
I didn't, and after many doses don't, feel 'rewired'...which has disappointed me somewhat. However, I do feel that my general use has helped decrease my levels of anger. And that IS one of the claimed benefits of hero dosing. So to some degree maybe it is working. It has allowed me to empathize with others more readily...lets me consider their perspective, instead of jumping all over them immediately. It has not been a cure-all for that though. I still get angry, especially aboot politics...which is why I have quarantined myself away from the island the last couple months...elections and all.

I do not know how long that effect lasts, as I continue dosing regularly. I'm not doing hero doses all the time, but I'm routinely putting down 3 gm at a time. When I first started doing them regularly, my brother and I were doing 1 gm doses to test different varieties...but since hero dosing, my tolerance has jumped way up.

Please note...if you can still socialize, you have not taken enough to be considered a hero dose. When you hero dose, you go to another world. It is not something I do to 'party'. When I do the large doses, I specifically block out a 6 hour time frame where I won't be disturbed by anyone else. Usually for some portion of the time I am fetal on the couch. Not the whole 6 hours, but usually somewhere between 1 to 2 hours.

I was very uneasy aboot doing that 7 gm dose. I just kept telling myself, worst case, this will only last 6 hours. After doing it, I no longer fear any size dose.

The 'rewiring' was not the only reason I started the hero dosing. I also started for introspection...examination of self. In a manner of speaking, I suppose the added empathy for others is part of this too. While that first experience was fun, the next two were not...but neither were they bad, they just were, no good or bad attached to them.

I'm also very comfortable in my own skin, so I was never afraid of discovering anything aboot myself that would freak me out. I can't say that would hold true for everyone though...some folks may have things aboot themselves they may not want to discover.

I took about 4 grams of golden teachers and prob 5 grams of malabar at the same time.they each had their own phsycic personality’s....

I also addressed this observation as well...

Originally posted April 30, 2020
That was something that became apparent to me the second time my brother and I tripped together. I only had aboot a gram and a half of Golden Teacher left from our first excursion, so bro had his son pick up more mushrooms. I took the remaining GT and he took the ones his son had gotten. It was a beautiful day and my trip was very enjoyable, while my brother just seemed to vegetate...it was like he was just getting sucked into his chair, I was losing him. Then aboot three hours in we bumped with what he had taken. When that bump started kicking in, I realized he was on a much different trip than I had been on...it was not as 'fun'.

�� I heard people say sillies are all the same but I beg to differ!

�� I heard people say sillies are all the same but I beg to differ!

Oh no doubt huh? The fresh ones here in my area are unreal, big lids with purple rings, whatever type that is.. most farmers use salt licks now and put up signs to keep kids from trespassing after an early rain.. they must be plentiful this year if u know where... out west, freeze dried and chew em up..

Recently I ventured into this as I was gifted some micro doses... turns out micro doesn't work on fatasses.... day one tried with 4, almost nothing.. next day it was 8..
yup, not much again.. a nice mellowness and some headiness for about an hour, but not like what I was hoping for. to bad, was an awesome thunderstorm of a day that day and would of been epic... lol.

Recently I ventured into this as I was gifted some micro doses... turns out micro doesn't work on fatasses.... day one tried with 4, almost nothing.. next day it was 8..
yup, not much again.. a nice mellowness and some headiness for about an hour, but not like what I was hoping for.

It is my understanding that micro doses are .1 to .2 grams, and are done 3x per week to daily. The dosing is small enough that you really shouldn't feel much of anything...you're just trying to stimulate a little more brain activity. I realize you were looking for more of an effect by taking multiples, but if those doses were in line with norms, that puts your first dose at .4 to .8 grams. Recreational dosing usually runs from 1 to 2 grams, so it's quite likely you just didn't have enough to get you there. And dosing on a second consecutive day would require at least double the amount of the first day for the same effect, because your tolerance is much higher. I typically wait at least a week or more between recreational doses, to get rid of that built up tolerance.

Originally posted April 21, 2020

I am a curious old man, so it wasn't long before I tried again...just under two months.
This time it was the Penis Envy...the most potent of the 8 strains I've tried in the last two years.
Delving into one's own mind is very interesting and appealing to me.
Again I recorded the experience shortly afterwards...

May 5, 2019

At 28 hours in, I'm still feeling a bit fuzzy. I shall do my best to recollect...

It all starts at 10pm...took me 7 minutes to chew up the 14g of PE. Puff, puff, puff on the bowl I had previously loaded. By 30 minutes in, shit starts bubbling and melting. I am no longer in this world, but I have not gone anywhere. It is intense. I close my eyes, but the visuals are not there. I'm watching a gamer stream, and listening to music. I see everything, but I feel detached. I get up to get a beverage out of the fridge. I feel a bit floaty as I make the trip, and everything is outlined with a neon orange chain of hexagrams. I keep trying to close my eyes and go into visual mode, but it's not working. I'm feeling a bit disappointed, like I've crested the peak and have started the descent, without even a sighting of the Mushroom man. I was wrong, the trip was just starting.

I keep the stream and music playing to act as an attachment to reality...a safety line so to speak. To help boost things, I'm puffing on the bowl again. Hit after hit after hit, it seems to go on for a long time...nothing but me on a rigid rectangular throne, focusing on the bowl, the smoke, and how it was enveloping me inside and out. The cold grape energy drink I had grabbed tastes great, so refreshing to go along with this cigarette I seem to have been smoking for the last hour...it seems to be lasting forever. I am so comfortable, watching a stream I'm not paying any attention to, slipping in and out of consciousness. Then it happens...the music stops, the stream freezes, I hear myself scream "NOOO!!!" The computer mouse is right there...I could rectify this...but I can't move. No longer having the tie to reality, I get sucked into a black hole.

I'm in another dimension, and I am not the only one there. We are chanting...not a language, but rather a guttural, vibrating, breathing chant. It is the same pattern over and over. My physical body is making these noises, but I am not in control of making them. In my head, my thoughts are in my normal voice. My body is my normal body, but that is not the way that it appears...it is a smoky, ethereal shape like a flower bud that has not opened yet. There are several of us in some type of forest. Everything is a dusty green/gray. We are all doing parts of the chant, like instruments in an orchestra. This goes on for quite some time, and I am struggling to pull myself out. Eventually there are two of us. I am a being inside of another being, who is inside of yet another being. I hear mine say to the other, "Do you think they know?...should we tell them?"

Now I am in another place, and the Mushroom man is there with me. It is a plane I am unfamiliar with. Everything is a tan/brown color scale, same as the Mushroom man. I am moving, but I am not moving...I am the center, and everything else moves around me in accordance. Nothing is solid. I am either part of, or riding, a being from this place. Beings are shapes of smoke-like form moving around very quickly. A battle of some type is going on. I don't have any visual cues that this is what's happening...I just feel the ominous sense of war. Eventually the action subsides and I am on the battleground in the aftermath. Sadness runs deep. I get the feeling the side I have been experiencing has won for now, but paid a huge price. The Mushroom man and I exchange no words...I understand he is just showing me things.

It was starting to get light out...I had crested the peak. I was exhausted, breathing heavy, to put it simply, whooped. I got another streamer going on the computer, so I could try to get some sleep. The first couple times the streamer ended an hour or two after I pulled them up, which woke me immediately when the sound stopped. At 12 hours in, the neon orange hexagons are fading, the grape drink still tastes great, and this cigarette is seeming to burn forever. On and off napping all day. The hangover is subsiding...maybe tomorrow will be better.

The trip was not fun...but neither was it bad. It was just sort of matter of fact...it just was. Interesting to say the least. I am in no hurry to go back. Eventually I probably will, just not any time soon.
:teeth:

I think I'd not like a trip like that.... good pot nuff for this guy from now on... hehe. Bob, thanks for letting us ride along with ya brother... be safe.

I'm not sure if I even need a reset, I just know I've had a serious concussive force head trauma event occur to me in the past. Since I'm also interested in introspection, I figured it would also be a good opportunity to evaluate if I felt any kind of reset as well.

I don't think hero doses are for everyone. My brother is dipping his toe in the water, but he keeps indicating he wants it to be a "good time". I keep telling him that's what party (recreational) dosing is for...that hero dosing is a completely different ball game. If you are not willing to completely let go, and let the mushrooms have complete control, then it's probably better to not do the hero doses.

I have an interest in the whole experience...good and bad. My hero dosing with mushrooms is just a step in that direction. Eventually I'd like to get to the 5-MeO-DMT level of tripping...brass elves and all that. I do not think of the experiences as a party activity. They are an adventure into the unknown, whatever that may hold, good or bad. For true introspection of self, you have to be willing to take the bad with the good. I am very comfortable in my own skin...I've made peace with my maker over 20 years ago...I am not afraid of anything I may discover. No matter how it goes, I view it as an opportunity for self improvement.

More questions and another trip I previously posted aboot...

Originally posted April 30, 2020

What is with those giant yawns you get just as you're starting your ascension on mushrooms?

Yeah, bro and I watch to see who yawns first...you know it's kicking in when the yawning starts. From my understanding, as the effects kick in your body physically mellows, like sitting at rest as opposed to being up moving around, thus it is taking in less oxygen...whereas brain activity increases, requiring more oxygen...and your body adjusts to that by inducing yawning to intake more oxygen. At least that was how it was explained to me. We have tested this a bit...we have found that when we start yawning we are usually just sitting around (inactive), and that if we start moving around enough to increase breathing, the yawning stops. We wanted to test this out a bit further by getting one of those little disposable oxygen tanks with the mouth/nose mask already on it, and using it when the yawning happens to see if that also works. So far the problem has been that by the time we remember to pick one up, we're already at a point where we're not driving anywhere. Also, I did try one variety that the yawning was really excessive...pretty annoying.

You didn't mention anything about the ascension anxiety. Don't you experience anxiety until you reach the peak?

The grind?...yeah that feeling is kind of hard to describe. I don't really experience anxiety so to speak...it's more like a combination of squeezing a handful of playdoh and fingernails scraping across a blackboard...satisfying, yet annoying. I've come to embrace the uneasiness of the feeling, so it's effect seems diminished to me now.

...my last recorded hero dose...quite by accident...and involving two different varieties...

July 13, 2019
Oh boy, me and the mushroom man got into it last night. :redboxer:

Since the 14g dose, I've needed 3-5g for recreational adventures...a 1g dose no longer does much for me. Last night I wanted to trip hard, but not quite to hero dose levels. So I did a little experiment...I mixed strains. Previously I had done a 3g dose of Penis Envy, and then bumped it with 2g of Hawaiian two and a half hours later, which had some great visual effects after the bump. So this time I did the same ratio, but all at once. I got dinner ready...ate the 'shrooms, washing them down with OJ...took a multi-vitamin...and proceeded to eat dinner. I was unable to complete the meal, because at 20 minutes in, I was already starting to trip my balls off.

I'm not sure what it is aboot big doses, but they make me very congested. My eyes start watering like I'm bawling...my nasal cavity gets plugged up...and my lungs feel like they're full of fluid. IRL I'm dealing with this shit...wiping my eyes, blowing my nose, coughing shit up. But at the same time I am also in another realm...my eyes are shut and I am having extreme difficulty breathing. The Mushroom man is projecting the thought...everything is fine, relax. Being in two different realms at the same time is difficult enough to comprehend, now add to that, that in one of them I am seeing things from different perspectives at the same time. As I am struggling to breath, my eyes pop open...I see this from both the perspective of being the entity opening their eyes, and also from the perspective of looking at the being opening their eyes. What I see is the Mushroom man trying to drown/smother/suffocate me. 'Me' was having no part of that, as I witness me leave me. This part I am experiencing from three perspectives...a third person view...me, the being getting smothered...and me, the being that left my body.

Now the Mushroom man is slow with deliberate movements, but he can 'blink' from place to place. The 'me' that left my body is a black gaseous/solid form that moves very quickly. That form popped out of my body, looked at the Mushroom man trying to smother me, and attacked him with a ferociousness and viciousness that is almost incomprehensible. No matter how hard the Mushroom man tried to evade 'me' by blinking away, 'me' was on him like stink on shit. After thrashing him for a bit, 'me' stopped going after the Mushroom man. Things then became better.

At first I thought the Mushroom man was trying to kill me, but upon reflection I don't think that is the case. My experiences with psychedelics is that they reveal things to you. So I think the Mushroom man was simply trying to show me something. I get the impression that we are beings that we can not comprehend...that they are extremely powerful...and that they hate these meat puppets (bodies) that they are confined by. True or not, it makes for a very interesting trip...and a good story.:)

I am now caught up on what I have previously posted. I wanted to get that out of the way before my next dosing. There is 10 grams of Burmese in my freezer, just waiting for the right time. I will continue to document and share the experiences to the best of my ability.

If anyone else has experience with hero dosing, please share your perceptions. I would very much like to hear aboot the experiences other folks have had. I get the impression that each person will have their own individualized experience. :)

BB said "I'm not sure what it is aboot big doses, but they make me very congested. My eyes start watering like I'm bawling...my nasal cavity gets plugged up...and my lungs feel like they're full of fluid. IRL I'm dealing with this shit...wiping my eyes, blowing my nose, coughing shit up. But at the same time I am also in another realm...my eyes are shut and I am having extreme difficulty breathing."

In Ann Arbor where medicinal plants of all kinds are pretty much legal now, they're recommending taking a Claritin for this very reason. Even at microdosing doses this phenomena happens. It does seem to stop the constant extreme tearing, and congestion. For me, without a Claritin, I'm constantly crying a river, and sniveling too. At times, emotional tears come too, but that's not what we're talking about here. A Claritin actually makes it possible to go out in public, if need be. Everyone's not running away from you like you've got the plague anyway. I bet as the study of psilocybin continues, they'll discover there's some type of extreme allergen lurking in these mushrooms. If you strain, and toss the shrooms, Claritin isn't needed with the Lime Tek. Large doses become much easier to consume.

Hmm, interesting...not that I would take a Claritin, but still. I have started taking honey daily, to see if that helps or not. Am also considering doing the honey in a morning drink of warm water, lemon juice, honey, olive oil, and cinnamon...supposed to help with clearing airways.

I'm going to have to try the lime tek too. Used to be I didn't mind the chewing and flavor, but the further along I get, the more I'm disliking it. It's to a point now where I do a quick chew and swallow all of it in one shot. Still want to try it powdered in a chocolate shake too. Bro thinks it would be good powdered in a smoothie as well.

Pushing boundries....I have a habit of doing that. It both amazes me, and amuses me, at how uncomfortable people can get when you push boundries beyond their limits of thinking and/or acceptance. Limits that have been learned, because they have been forced upon folks. Whether it be small like TOU on a website, or large like laws and societal norms.

So let's push some boundries and discuss one of the 'forbidden' subjects...religion. It's well known that if you want to have peaceful discourse, you do not talk politics or religion. But the religion I want to discuss is less aboot organized religion, and more aboot 'the meaning of life' stuff. Just what IS all of THIS?....EVERYTHING? :dunno:

I've been asked...
Have you ever experienced ego death?
...as it relates to hero dosing.

Quite often my mind sees clearly, but by the time thoughts pass through my lips, I've fuk'd them up.:p
But this morning I ran across a video that I think covers the concept quite well...

I guess this would classify as part of my introspection of self...gaining some kind of grasp on things we are really unable to even comprehend. Perhaps a story would help illustrate the whole concept...

My family is religous. The "Only by the grace of God, and acceptance of Jesus Christ as your lord and savior, will you enter the kingdom of heaven" type of religious. They're not bible thumping fanatics...they understand the Sumerians had basically the same religion thousands of years before their religion's Christ was born. The similarities are uncanny.

My aunt and uncle have been missionaries for over 40 years. They went to an area that had no written language...worked with the locals to develop one...so that they could translate and print the New Testiment for them. And I think I floored them one Thanksgiving, with an answer I gave to a question my nephew asked, because their jaws dropped and a look of bewilderment covered their faces.

My nephew had asked me what I thought "God" was.

I explained that I was very open minded to all possibilities...that religious texts state very clearly that we do not possess the ability to understand the concept of "God". No one at the table even faltered at that, because they knew it was true. I continued answering, both to acquiesce and irritate traditional lines of thinking. Perhaps "God" is an actual deity, whose form we just wouldn't be able to understand...or perhaps "God" are just aliens that put us on this planet.

OR...perhaps "God" is evrything. The totality of every life essence, or "soul" if you will, of everything that has ever existed, currently exists, and will exist...every living creature, every blade of grass, every single cell organism, maybe even stuff we don't yet understand or think of as "living". Maybe all of those essences combined are "God". It would certainly explain why religions say "God" is all powerful, all knowing, everywhere at once, and transcends time. And it would also explain why we can't wrap our brains around that concept.

I don't think anyone in my family had ever considered such an idea...certainly not my aunt and uncle. :p

The more I delve into this journey of discovery of self, the more I'm finding on the association of psychedelics and religions...particularly mushrooms.

Vid was heavy duty……..not quite understanding how to die before I die.

I’m up for it, I sit out on my back deck looking over the Grand Mesa at night, meditating, trying to call in alien beings. Close encounters of the fifth kind, and the other flick done by the same guy, blew me away, I must make contact, hehe

Dr Steven Greer, just seen he’s done 3 flicks on the subject.

Contact has Begun!

[MENTION=555]Butcher Bob[/MENTION]. I think you just need to listen to Black Sabbath at 78rpm! The Green Label vinyl only.

Ego death is the total dissolution of one's self.

Last edited:
great video bob, gives me food for thought...one of our members offered to send me mushrooms and I accepted...after watching this video I'm eager to play...I know there's so much more to here and now than here and now...

Vid was heavy duty……..not quite understanding how to die before I die.
Ego death is the total dissolution of one's self.
You die, by killing off ego.
The best way I can think to describe it is, ego is the lifetime of makeup that has been applied to arrive at the person you perceive yourself to be...and death of ego is stripping away all of that makeup to see the person you actually are.
More on that, with another video...

great video bob, gives me food for thought...one of our members offered to send me mushrooms and I accepted...after watching this video I'm eager to play...I know there's so much more to here and now than here and now...
I like the videos...so much quicker than typing. :p
Here is a quick course on everything psilocybin...don't cut out early, they get into the different dosing levels and their purpose in aboot the last 10 minutes...very condensed, but very informative...

A drug is a drug is a drug....... If you're looking for answers about life through the use of any drugs, you really should reconsider your way of thinking.

Psychedelics may be able to help us with addictions, depression, or other forms of guilt in a clinical setting, but only with licensed psychiatric personal. I just don't think most of us are capable of doing so on our own. I could be wrong. Change has to come from within an individual really wanting it in the first place. I don't believe any drug can do anything transformative without the desire for change.

Therefore..... I am merely a thrill seeker. So I trip for recreation. I have an innate need, through very careful planning..... Down to the primal level, deep within my very Amygdala, to get naked, and dance around a fire on a moonless night, deep within the forest on occasion. A time or two a year. I've found that the experience is quite refreshing. I know this transcends the boundaries of social norms. Which, laughably, makes me anti-social. But does it really? Nobody sees me, except other willing participants. Ha ha! To each their own. Whatever you may find psychologically purging, I guess. It all goes through me like shit through a goose. But it makes me feel better doing it, than to not.

Reactions: mre
Back