Grow light hack

WrinkledNugSack

I know this is late in the game for current growers, so it might just be food-for-thought for someone just beginning to collect the necessities for a brand new grow.

A number of years ago I went to my local electrical supply shop for a couple of electrical cord ends. While I was there, one of the workers was putting away a pallet of goods. One of the items on the pallet was a new LED light that someone had been installing in an Industrial building and dropped from height. It landed on the corner and racked the frame a bit, in a parallelogram type shape.

The worker offered it to me for $20.00. I thought at the very least I could straighten it out and use it in the garage, so I took it home.

I took it apart mostly to ensure that there were no bare wires to start a fire or cause a shock, but everything was good and I reassembled it with a bit of tin-bashing along the way... it doesn't look brand new, but it works.

This particular unit is of the type that simply hangs from the ceiling by chains and is plugged into a 110V power supply that is strung in a grid across the ceiling of the building. It is intended to be hung as high as 16 feet off of the shop floor (along with many others)... but it works great for cannabis plants that are in veg; I haven't tried using it for the entire run, but I will at some point.

So, all that to say, if you are on a budget, and you are looking for lighting, and you aren't looking to grow commercial type crops or expect commercial type outcomes, you might, and probably could get away with something similar to this... plus, you'll save a bundle on the light but the efficiency won't likely be as high as a new unit.

Back