going to try something new...

BreezeEazy

Once again, I'm about to sacrifice some buds to try something new that some people absolutely swear by. It was a technique I've only seen practiced by this guy who has a Q & A thread and others were willing to try and swore by it as well. He trims all the fan leaves off, keeps the sugar leaves, washes his buds, shakes them dry and then hangs to dry. I've never heard of anyone doing this before but he swears after doing it once, you'll never go back. It removes all the crap from his foliar sprays that he does up till harvest and anything the fans have blown onto the buds (skin, hair, dust, etc.).

I ran a search and didn't seen anything on this subject so I thought it would be worth sharing. I'm sure some people will be against this but I guess I wanna see for myself. Can't hurt. I'm using bud from the plants that were given too much lime so I think now is the perfect time to try this since the plants are far from special.

lol no different then raining outside before harvest . but bit wisdom dont use fish ferts for foliar during flower . thing is be gentle when doing so i used to wash few colas when they would get dirty from dust or being dropped on the floor . if gentle with say a light spray from a dish sprayer hose then handle as usual . don't use soaps or hard pressure or will damage the trichnomes .

lol no different then raining outside before harvest . but bit wisdom dont use fish ferts for foliar during flower . thing is be gentle when doing so i used to wash few colas when they would get dirty from dust or being dropped on the floor . if gentle with say a light spray from a dish sprayer hose then handle as usual . don't use soaps or hard pressure or will damage the trichnomes .

Darn, I forgot to mention how I'm doing it. No spraying and no soaps. It is a 3 dunk system. First bucket has baking soda and lemon juice in it (very weak!), second and third bucket is straight RO water. He just dunks them in the water, moves them around a little for like 30 seconds and then next bucket and then shake dry and hang. I've seen the pictures of peoples buckets from doing this and needless to say bucket one and two are significantly dirtier than the 3rd bucket.

I haven't sprayed my plants at all so I'm not expecting much. Just seeing whats up. Growing in a basement and growing with soil and crap. I see the dirt that hits my scrubbers pre-filter. Here goes nothing! :geek:

I'll post some pictures.

Interesting... I never thought the buds would get dirty but it makes sense. I usually don't foliar much, but removing dust and whatnot might be a good idea... I'll be interested to see what you think of the results.

Just trying to earn my keep!

Well I finished. I'm actually pretty happy with my haul considering the high lime. I tried this on maybe an 8th of my haul. Rest got the usual treatment. Didn't see much of a change in water color, but I only did this with a few. Guess I'll see what happens after it is done drying.

Attachments

• 100_1916.JPG
    100_1916.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 100_1922.JPG
    100_1922.JPG
    172.8 KB · Views: 3
Can't swear to it, but I do remember something like that back in the day. Thought it might be called water curing. Just a shot in the dark on that one tho. After all the years the mind gets fuzzy sometimes.

Personally, I wouldn't do this. I'd be too worried about losing trichomes in the rinse.

I do pick hairs and other stuff off the buds when I manicure them, but OTOH I am sure I have smoked some peat dust in my time. Now that I vape most of the time, not really an issue...

Can't swear to it, but I do remember something like that back in the day. Thought it might be called water curing. Just a shot in the dark on that one tho. After all the years the mind gets fuzzy sometimes.

Don't blame you, buddy, when you have been doing it that long you're, bound to forget some things along the way. I started saving all the good articles so I can refer back to them later. That water curing thing sounds interesting. No bag appeal but smooth smoke. Might have to try that on some personal for shits and giggles. See, thats the stuff I love. Learning and trying something new because you wont know without seeing it for yourself.

Personally, I wouldn't do this. I'd be too worried about losing trichomes in the rinse.

I do pick hairs and other stuff off the buds when I manicure them, but OTOH I am sure I have smoked some peat dust in my time. Now that I vape most of the time, not really an issue...

I'll let you know if one is more potant than the other. I have them marked. I just wish I had an actual drying room to make it fair. I'm worried they might dry faster just because I did so few. My basement is wicked dry right now. Least mold and shit isn't a worry for me :down:

I've done this on outdoor, but never felt a need inside. I also only used water, so the soda and lime is pretty interesting. Certainly made for a smoother smoke, and the amount of dirt it pulled off was considerable (but I had fan leaves on). Will be interested about how you like it.

Aww...I know anythis as sticky as my are dust is stuck there if there is dust ..
Now that being said ...whats left to waash of ..should never be there ...as IMHO bud never get foliar sprayed ..also dunking your buds in water would only inhibit drying time and enhase chance of mold,
Now lemon juice is a natural oil reducer so to me that would breal down THC glands and chlorophyll ..???? NO????

Also any hair wll be grown in and could NEVER JUST BE WASHED OUT .

JMHO

Want to try something that to me was great but hell a lot of work ..

Pull plant as gently from soil keeping MOST roots in tack
about 2-4 days from harv .put in bucket of water only and let her finish 2 days in the dark ..
Cleanest form of flush I ever did ..but a lot of WORK

I've done this on outdoor, but never felt a need inside. I also only used water, so the soda and lime is pretty interesting. Certainly made for a smoother smoke, and the amount of dirt it pulled off was considerable (but I had fan leaves on). Will be interested about how you like it.

Thanks for your interest and sharing!

Aww...I know anythis as sticky as my are dust is stuck there if there is dust ..
Now that being said ...whats left to waash of ..should never be there ...as IMHO bud never get foliar sprayed ..also dunking your buds in water would only inhibit drying time and enhase chance of mold,
Now lemon juice is a natural oil reducer so to me that would breal down THC glands and chlorophyll ..???? NO????

Also any hair wll be grown in and could NEVER JUST BE WASHED OUT .

JMHO

Want to try something that to me was great but hell a lot of work ..

Pull plant as gently from soil keeping MOST roots in tack
about 2-4 days from harv .put in bucket of water only and let her finish 2 days in the dark ..
Cleanest form of flush I ever did ..but a lot of WORK

What you said does tend to be the general thought. Most people would cry blasphemy when reading this. My only thought is why would anyone keep doing this unless they thought the extra effort was worth it? Likewise, why would other people try it and follow suit if they didn't also think the extra effort was worth it? I couldn't help it, it gave me the itch to get crazy and try it. Pretty much how I started smoking pot in the first place, "alright, lets see what all the fuss is about." :hmm:

Interesting. The baking soda swish will help take off PM if there is any.

I've done water cure before on some rank-ass weed that tasted absolutely horrid. It helped for a while, but the nasty flavor eventually came back. Too bad because it had a pretty decent buzz. I ended up giving the bud to a friend who needed meds and wasn't able to grow for a while. Water cure is different, though - you leave the weed submerged in the water for several days & change water frequently. If anyone is interested, I'll look up my notes on the method. The bud looks nasty, but it doesn't seem to affect potency.

keep in mind, (as told to me by Mr. Carlson, tested and proven by me,) you lose a good 20% on smell and flavor when you dunk your bud. :pl:

Interesting. The baking soda swish will help take off PM if there is any.

I've done water cure before on some rank-ass weed that tasted absolutely horrid. It helped for a while, but the nasty flavor eventually came back. Too bad because it had a pretty decent buzz. I ended up giving the bud to a friend who needed meds and wasn't able to grow for a while. Water cure is different, though - you leave the weed submerged in the water for several days & change water frequently. If anyone is interested, I'll look up my notes on the method. The bud looks nasty, but it doesn't seem to affect potency.

Yeah, I saw some pictures of water cured bud. They look different for sure, dark and everything. Sucks to hear the nasty flavor came back. I was thinking at first that some 'stealth' bud would be cool for those moments where you don't want it to smell lol.

keep in mind, (as told to me by Mr. Carlson, tested and proven by me,) you lose a good 20% on smell and flavor when you dunk your bud. :pl:

Hey, NoMan, thanks for taking the time to comment! Can you provide more information please? How did you do it? how did you determine there was a loss, and how did you come to the conclusion of 20%?

howdy avo. well, it began as a thread i started here on how cool i thought it was that when i dunked my fresh buds in water just prior to trimming, that it saved tons of time cleaning my clippers because the gunk doesn't stick. then Mr. Carlson pointed out that in doing so i would lose about 20% in smell and flavor... which i didn't believe because trichs aren't water soluble so it can't be, right? lol. since i have a lot of respect for him i held back a branch and didn't dunk it.

after the cure the difference was blatant to me.. the fooker was right! lol. but to be sure i had several friends do blind smell tests and they confirmed it. when asked by how much? it was 20% "at least". not exactly iron-clad scientific, but there ya go. the strain was blue dream.

oh and i wouldn't put baking soda in my swish water. unless you want to smoke baking soda? foliar sprays up until harvest? lawdy why on earth would anyone do that? lime juice?? can't imagine but whatever floats ur boat. :)

I thought the quick dunk did the flavor good on the outdoor, was smoother and tastier than other stuff from the same site. Maybe it lost something but it gained something by sparing me the dirt. I haven't seen it done indoors.

NoMan, did you use cold or hot water? Just curious, I used about room temp or a little cooler.

well water at whatever temp it comes out at, plus whatever ambient was after it sat in the 5 gal bucket for long enough... so the same.

to clarify, i was trimming my indoor girls, and personally, on outdoors, i'd rather lose some in the taste/smell dept than smoke dirt, etc

howdy avo. well, it began as a thread i started here on how cool i thought it was that when i dunked my fresh buds in water just prior to trimming, that it saved tons of time cleaning my clippers because the gunk doesn't stick. then Mr. Carlson pointed out that in doing so i would lose about 20% in smell and flavor... which i didn't believe because trichs aren't water soluble so it can't be, right? lol. since i have a lot of respect for him i held back a branch and didn't dunk it.

after the cure the difference was blatant to me.. the fooker was right! lol. but to be sure i had several friends do blind smell tests and they confirmed it. when asked by how much? it was 20% "at least". not exactly iron-clad scientific, but there ya go. the strain was blue dream.

oh and i wouldn't put baking soda in my swish water. unless you want to smoke baking soda? foliar sprays up until harvest? lawdy why on earth would anyone do that? lime juice?? can't imagine but whatever floats ur boat. :)

Well I can't disagree with you since I have no idea. I do agree with your latter statements though. It is all crazy. I suppose I'm comfortable with learning 1000 ways not to do something. R&D is half the fun for me. I want to know the why, just as equally as the how.

Back